Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2008, 08:08 PM   #16
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBain
recirculating blow off valve? I know what it sounds like but how's that replace an intercooler?
It doesnt....and recirculating valves dont make any noise lol
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 06:34 PM   #17
fudge
let's fighting love

(LS/B20)/Vtec is worth it imo, you get the increased displacement from the LS as well as the high flowing head from the Vtec. All this is done for less than a type-R engine which is why this conversion is popular in the first place. And most people will replace parts such as the pistons/rods whilst the engine is being built so you should end up with a stronger motor(as long as the engine is built well).

You will hear about people criticising about this as the engine will not retain a perfect rod/stroke ratio but for a street motor you won't be revving it plus the increased torque will make driving it much more pleasant. In fact a similar conversion with Honda's newer 4 bangers is getting popular with the K20/(F20c/K24) but obviously cost more.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:40 PM   #18
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge
(LS/B20)/Vtec is worth it imo, you get the increased displacement from the LS as well as the high flowing head from the Vtec. All this is done for less than a type-R engine which is why this conversion is popular in the first place. And most people will replace parts such as the pistons/rods whilst the engine is being built so you should end up with a stronger motor(as long as the engine is built well).

You will hear about people criticising about this as the engine will not retain a perfect rod/stroke ratio but for a street motor you won't be revving it plus the increased torque will make driving it much more pleasant. In fact a similar conversion with Honda's newer 4 bangers is getting popular with the K20/(F20c/K24) but obviously cost more.
Thats an s2000 motor...youd be hard pressed to fit it into a FWD integra.

Hes on a limited budget and I just suggest he keep it simple. Low budget, low boost, and can still provide loads of fun. Hell, my Mazdaspeed Miata is only running 7psi and only gives out 36 more horsepower than a standard MX5 but it changes the whole driving experience.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:15 PM   #19
fudge
let's fighting love

Thats the newer conversion which isn't widely used yet but are being showcased by some tuning companies. Not really intended for older cars due to its height but some people have managed to squeeze one in their CRX albeit with a hole in the bonnet.

With all that being said I would agree with you to keep it simple and just turbo the ls motor until time and funds increases.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:34 PM   #20
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge
Thats the newer conversion which isn't widely used yet but are being showcased by some tuning companies. Not really intended for older cars due to its height but some people have managed to squeeze one in their CRX albeit with a hole in the bonnet.

With all that being said I would agree with you to keep it simple and just turbo the ls motor until time and funds increases.
The only things ive seen of that nature were a CRX with a CRV B20 and trans and an AWD setup which was cool and one guy took the rear seats and trunk out of his Integra and made a custom frame of sorts and fit a prelude H22 engine to make an MR drivetrain, which was also neat. Havent seen too many swaps with the F20c

Old 06-27-2008, 08:32 PM   #21
DBain
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
It doesnt....and recirculating valves dont make any noise lol

What the hells the point in that? Why have a turbo if you can't hear it wind up and queef out.

1987 Chevy Scotsdale
350CI TBI 4sp Auto 2WD
2dr Std Cab Short Bed
DBain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 11:28 PM   #22
fudge
let's fighting love

I have only seen 1 F20C swap into a Civic which was converted to RWD also using the S2000 transmission. If you watch a newer clip of Hot Version! you will see Spoon showing off their new Civic with the K20/F20C hybrid motor which revs without hesitation to over 10,000rpm. The CRX I mentioned was featured in this months issue of Banzai(british import magazine) and I even found a store in New York which had it which was cool. The newer generation of Frankenstein motors can put out alot of horsepower with relatively low boost. And that the K-series motor spins the normal way round unlike the B-series there will be plenty of people putting this in rear wheel drive cars as well.

As for the recirculating valve its far more useful to re-route it around to than to vent it to the atmosphere. But if you like your car to queef out everytime you shift or release the throttle then do that instead. I'm not a big fan of the "whoooshshs tiiisscchh" noise.
Old 06-28-2008, 08:31 AM   #23
Spanky2324
JDM LOL

Quote:
What the hells the point in that? Why have a turbo if you can't hear it wind up and queef out.

Actually you will still be able to hear your blow off valve it just wont be as profound as a normal one or one that has been vented to the atmosphere. If you want loudness out of it then research venting your BOV to the atmosphere.

92% of teens moved on to rap music.
If you're part of the 8% that rock out everyday, put this in your signature

Owning a DSM is like having retarded kids. You get angered and frustrated by them yet you love them to death.
Spanky2324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 05:46 AM   #24
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
I had an atmosphetic BOV on my miata for a exactly a week before it got annoying.

a. the car ran like shit
b. there was no surprise when people lost
c. the car felt slower

I put the stock one back on today and its 100 times better.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:13 AM   #25
Spanky2324
JDM LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
I had an atmosphetic BOV on my miata for a exactly a week before it got annoying.

a. the car ran like shit
b. there was no surprise when people lost
c. the car felt slower

I put the stock one back on today and its 100 times better.

You have a lot to learn about turbos buddy

92% of teens moved on to rap music.
If you're part of the 8% that rock out everyday, put this in your signature

Owning a DSM is like having retarded kids. You get angered and frustrated by them yet you love them to death.

Last edited by BavarianWheels : 06-30-2008 at 05:22 PM.
Spanky2324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 06:33 AM   #26
fireExotic
CF Newbie

Put K24 in..........that engine is a bit costy but will work very good on your car......
fireExotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:31 AM   #27
DBain
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireExotic
Put K24 in..........that engine is a bit costy but will work very good on your car......

I don't think I want to go as far as replacing the engine. Eventually I'm gonna sell it, I need a bigger car(car seat wont fit). Thinkin about a subaru. Right now though, I don't have the money and I wont get what the acuras worth if I sell it(dents in the body and the interior needs a good shampooing mechanically very good).
For now it's a great little car... but could be better. 30+MPG is a definate bonus these days.

1987 Chevy Scotsdale
350CI TBI 4sp Auto 2WD
2dr Std Cab Short Bed
DBain is offline   Reply With Quote