Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2008, 06:27 PM   #1
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

Camaro is Back in Comission

Hey Guys so the camaro is back up and running.

I put a cam in this motor to tide me over until I take the stock motor and build it up.

For a while I was really wondering if it was worth it to spend all the damn money on a motor that was gonna get removed afterwards but now that im done it was well worth it.

I went with a pretty big cam but surprisingly its rather docile. You notice it alot at part throttle going all the way through a gear. She comes on REAL hard at about 3500. But makes plenty of midrange and bottom end, plus I dont get any cam surge unless im lugging her at less than 1500, which I didnt do even before the cam swap.

It is still unknown how it affected the mileage but Im about the fill up and Ill let you know.

I really love the powerband now. Way more smooth and linear.

When she was just boltons a took a buddy for a spin and got it to dead hook from a 2nd gear roll and if I may quote him "it was violent". It used to have a ton of bottem end and kinda peter off up top, so It would hit rear hard then kinda trail off. Well now she still hits hard from a roll but really gathers steam up top. She pulls real hard all the way to 6800. Im still getting used to the tach moving so fast about 4K but Ill get it afteranother week or so.

Oh and apparently I have developed the dreaded intake manifodl leak, eh whatever, next time I have 2 days off in a row Ill pull it off and redo it. No biggie really.

Next plans are to finsih up the interior (im gonna order the carpet and new seats friday) get the A/C put back in saturday and try and locate some ebony door panels this weekend.
Then body work, gonna go with an SS spoiler, harwood wide cowl hood, and have her repainted black (no stripes)
Then wheels. Ive decided to do away with the 17s and go to 18" chrome Z0s with a 9.5 out front and a 10.5 out back.

Ive got a little suspension to get sorted out and Ill be buildign the new motor in small increments along the way.
Heres kinda what im goin for. Still cant decide between black or chrome on the wheels

And this is the hood.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:42 PM   #2
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

The seats (knock-off arizens)

The look im goin for (minus bowtie, tintied corners, and tinted windows)
Shell probably sit a little lower too (18s and a slammed car just go so well together)

And for fun one of the other colors I was considering (but a color change would be ridiculous cause i'd want it done right) I almost bought this car but I just couldnt part with alice.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:07 AM   #3
need4speed
CF Newbie

Hell YES!
need4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 01:19 AM   #4
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

Looks damn good, man. Congrats.

StiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 02:54 AM   #5
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Docile?! Aftermarket cams should make non-car people think your car is running poorly given it's lopey idle!

Semi-kidding bud, congrats!

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 04:53 AM   #6
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by giant016
Docile?! Aftermarket cams should make non-car people think your car is running poorly given it's lopey idle!

Semi-kidding bud, congrats!
Oh it lopes like a son of a bitch. I lost my camera but ill try and get some videos up.

Its just drives rather docil and my first 3 gears are pretty much useless now but I love it haha
Old 06-28-2008, 05:28 AM   #7
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

So there has been a change of plans. I am going to paint the car nest month.

I talked to some friends who own a boddy shop and theyll do it for the price of paint (PPG so its still not cheap) Im thinkin Im gonna just stay black but loose the stripes. Ill be so happy to be rid og the chips and the swirls I think Ill love it.

Im gonna call him tommorrow to see about how much more a color change would be, Im thinkin of goin red or maybe a nice blue but gotta talk to him first.

If I went red or blue the grill area the headlight buckets the mirrors and the roof would stay black along with the rear tailight panel which I will be removing the camaro from for a smoother look. I will aslo be smoothign the front emblem from the nose. But regardless, I went to order my seats, carpet, shift boot, and leather interior kit today but I decided to hold off and try and save as much money this check and the next one and I should have enough to paint it.

Oh and I hooked the kit back up today and called my tuner he said Id be safe on a 75 shot without taking any advance out, so I through in some colder plugs and went and had some fun. She runs SO DAMN GOOD. I love it. Ive gotta get her on the dyno up the shot get the tune spot on and Ive gotta a few grudges to settle.
Old 06-28-2008, 06:26 AM   #8
newyorker
MXman

Looks badass..I say leave the wheels chrome, keeps it clean and simple.
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 08:37 AM   #9
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

So I just went and saw wally with my gf and on the way out we hit the highway and she was behind me and I decided I wanted to get on it with the cutout open for the first time and I punched it in 3rd and about 3500 she just TOOK OFF. I thought to mysef, wow, she pulls pretty good, then about 5000 goodness gracious it was like VTEC wqas kickin in yo. haha well I broke them loose at the very top of 3rd, kinda surprised me, kickin it sideaways at about 80 is pretty interesting.

Im enjoyin it but now I just want more power. I need to send the heads off already and have them done.
Old 07-19-2008, 01:53 AM   #10
muchojackdaniel
CF Newbie

yeah!!
muchojackdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 07:53 AM   #11
fuelbuzz
CF Newbie

Wow... now that is sleek!
fuelbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 08:51 AM   #12
Satty101
CF's L body Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enthusiast

Im enjoyin it but now I just want more power.

Ahem...procharger...FTMFW!!!

1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS (PC'd)
1994 Chevrolet Beretta Z26 Q4 (W41 M90'd)
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 (4WD)

My wife's cars:

1971 Dodge Charger SE (stock and original 383 auto)
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX (kid-hauler)
Satty101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 01:00 AM   #13
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satty101
Ahem...procharger...FTMFW!!!

Nah Ive already started on a nitrous motor. Im hoping for between 425-450whp if I decided to stay hydraulic roller and if I go Solid roller maybe Ill shoot for 480whp and then a 300 shot on top of it.

I want to do a boost motor but I just cant afford it, and id go turbo.
Old 10-12-2008, 05:38 AM   #14
Satty101
CF's L body Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enthusiast
Nah Ive already started on a nitrous motor. Im hoping for between 425-450whp if I decided to stay hydraulic roller and if I go Solid roller maybe Ill shoot for 480whp and then a 300 shot on top of it.

I want to do a boost motor but I just cant afford it, and id go turbo.

Meh, I respect that. Personally, there's nothing like hearing a supercharger whining when you're screaming down the interstate in 3rd gear. hahah

1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS (PC'd)
1994 Chevrolet Beretta Z26 Q4 (W41 M90'd)
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 (4WD)

My wife's cars:

1971 Dodge Charger SE (stock and original 383 auto)
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX (kid-hauler)
Satty101 is offline   Reply With Quote