Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2008, 06:25 AM   #1
dwood
CF Newbie

Question 2004 GMC Envoy 125K

Hello all, hopefully I can get some ideas as to what is going on with my car before I take it to the mechanic. My car just started giving me problems, when I turn the ac on, it seems to really strain the engine, it feels like it doesnt have the same power. When I am coming to a stop, and going very slow, it will stall. It starts right back up, but dont know what its problem is. It does not do this when I do not have the ac on. Any ideas?
Thanks for any help or info.
dwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 03:10 PM   #2
bullrage2003
CF Newbie

pcv valve i bet. had the same problem when i got my car. they at least "said" they replaced the pcv valve, and it went away. mine never stalled, although it wanted to. good luck
Old 07-11-2008, 06:36 PM   #3
DBain
CF Enthusiast

My Acura's been like that since the day I bought it. Never stalled, but with the AC on my gas mileage goes down dramatically, my horsepower goes down dramatically, and even the idle drops. Whenever I asked anyone about it they said that the AC takes a lot of power and it was completly normal.
Maybe I'll try changing the valve, they're not too expensive so it's worth a shot.

1987 Chevy Scotsdale
350CI TBI 4sp Auto 2WD
2dr Std Cab Short Bed
DBain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 09:32 PM   #4
dvdrose18
CF's resident Nurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBain
My Acura's been like that since the day I bought it. Never stalled, but with the AC on my gas mileage goes down dramatically, my horsepower goes down dramatically, and even the idle drops. Whenever I asked anyone about it they said that the AC takes a lot of power and it was completly normal.
Maybe I'll try changing the valve, they're not too expensive so it's worth a shot.
Running the AC compressor takes an enormous amount of power. I doubt the PCV valve would only cause a problem when the AC is on, and I would imagine there should be some kind of check engine light if it did.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:44 PM   #5
bullrage2003
CF Newbie

not nessesarily. my lite didnt come on. when i had 4 burnt plugs, my light wasnt on. tho there was a code. the engine was misfiring on several cylinders. but no lite. and the lite does work properly
Old 07-12-2008, 04:28 AM   #6
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBain
The symptoms are perfectly normal. In my MSM, the idle at a stop is 800, if you are coasting in neutral its 900. If you are standing still at 800rpm and turn the ac compressor on, idle goes to 1000, I guess to compensate for stalling due to loss in power.
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 09:12 PM   #7
DBain
CF Enthusiast

It's not the idle that concerns me. It idles fine, and like you said it rises with the AC on.
It's the lack of power on the takeoff. The way the RPMS drop a lot faster between shifts, and most of all the gas mileage.
Although there isn't much to be done about the MPG, no car I've had or driven is affected by the AC as much as this one. Then again it's also the smallest engine I've ever owned . . . in a car.

Oh, and my check engine light definately works. When misfiring or poor O2 readings. Throughout the life of the car I think the lights been on more than off. I've got a friend with a scanner and I've never seen any PCV codes.

I have to admit I feel a little wrong posting about my acura in the domestic cars section.

1987 Chevy Scotsdale
350CI TBI 4sp Auto 2WD
2dr Std Cab Short Bed

Last edited by DBain : 07-19-2008 at 09:15 PM.
DBain is offline   Reply With Quote