Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2008, 03:56 AM   #1
97Talonchik
discombobulated

Volkswagen in the US

Looks like Chattanooga is on the short list for the new Volkswagen plant along with Michigan and Alabama. Volkswagen plans on making the final decision in July. This is very exciting for my little town, but we've been disappointed before by other manufacturers after being on their short lists as well so we'll have to wait and see what happens.

On the flip side of that...if they produce a German car in the United States...is it still a foreign car? Do you think they lose quality?
97Talonchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 05:10 AM   #2
dvdrose18
CF's resident Nurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Talonchik
Looks like Chattanooga is on the short list for the new Volkswagen plant along with Michigan and Alabama. Volkswagen plans on making the final decision in July. This is very exciting for my little town, but we've been disappointed before by other manufacturers after being on their short lists as well so we'll have to wait and see what happens.

On the flip side of that...if they produce a German car in the United States...is it still a foreign car? Do you think they lose quality?
From the way Toyota has been advertising the Tundra as an American built truck, I can't see it as a bad thing, but then again you are comparing a Japanese car to a German car. But I think the selling point for German cars is the engineering. It will still have the same engineering if it is built in the states, it will just be Americans that turn the wrenches.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:33 AM   #3
newyorker
MXman

Quote:

Well VW has been making their cars in Mexico for quite a few years now and they just plain went down the gutter since then. I think it will be better here, and yes its still a foreign car. My civic is build in Canada for example, its still Japanese, not Canadian.
newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 02:25 AM   #4
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Honda have/had a factory in Swindon in the UK and quality seemed to remain....Although there was some strange weather proofing going on on the underside of tyhe vehicles (a small niggle, but one that sticks out in my mind, lol)

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 03:59 AM   #5
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

Anyone think my car is British?

It's where the name came from if you ask me.

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 04:46 AM   #6
chris_knows
๑۩۞

This is where we have to ask ourselves what makes a car from a certain country.

I'm gonna say where the company is based is where that car is from.

Lots of car companies are setting up plants in the U.S., but quality should remain good (or maybe get better). Don't forget, you get what you pay for, and these plants pay really good.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:08 PM   #7
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows

Lots of car companies are setting up plants in the U.S., but quality should remain good (or maybe get better). Don't forget, you get what you pay for, and these plants pay really good.
Im curious to see whats going to happen to Jaguar and Land Rover now that they will be in India.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:30 PM   #8
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Honestly, does it really matter anymore? I'm guessing the engineering is all still being done by the same people, and even the people that work the assembly lines just operate mechines. The cars won't change, they're selling to the same people as before, and the quality won't either. Production costs will still be much less than the big 3, because I'm betting these new VW plants will be filled with non-union workers.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 01:06 AM   #9
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

VW used to have plant in Westmoreland, Pennsylvania. The early cars there were indeed subpar compared to the cars coming from Germany, due to the difficulties of getting the plant functional. But, that wasn't the only reason it was closed finally in '88.

Who knows, maybe this time around it will be different for VW.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 04:18 AM   #10
97Talonchik
discombobulated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdrose18
From the way Toyota has been advertising the Tundra as an American built truck, I can't see it as a bad thing, but then again you are comparing a Japanese car to a German car. But I think the selling point for German cars is the engineering. It will still have the same engineering if it is built in the states, it will just be Americans that turn the wrenches.

I think some people will see it as a plus...mainly the ones that are all about buying American. I sincerely hope they don't sacrifice quality for saving some Euros by this move, even though it does bring much needed jobs to the recession strickened states. I guess we will have to wait and see. I don't know how long it will take to get the first cars off the production line but I assume that will really answer the hard pressing questions.
97Talonchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 05:14 AM   #11
2JZ-GTE
CF Newbie

I dunno, my recent experience with my VW has been extremely subpar, quality-wise.

I had NO IDEA these cars were so f__kin high-maintenance.
I love driving it, but I hate spending 3 grand on the tranny because you cant repair it...you have to replace the entire unit.

VW sucks.

And if it's any consolation, being built in America....it will probably suck even moreso for that.

Old 05-19-2008, 05:45 AM   #12
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
Well VW has been making their cars in Mexico for quite a few years now and they just plain went down the gutter since then. I think it will be better here, and yes its still a foreign car. My civic is build in Canada for example, its still Japanese, not Canadian.
So.... no good VW's since the 60's or whenever they started production in Mexico?
Old 05-19-2008, 06:34 AM   #13
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsonian
So.... no good VW's since the 60's or whenever they started production in Mexico?
Never said they were all bad, but ones with a German build origin certainly stand head and shoulders above the Mexican alternative. My buddy has a 2.0 Golf that is German built and the car is great, no problems ever. Another has a GTI that is Mexican built, and its rubbish. I think moving to the US is a good move for VW, but we gotta wait to be sure. Build quality on them is excelent, very well designed, very safe, fit and finish is excelent, but they are not dependable cars for the most part, hence why I never caught on to them, or any other European cars except for BMW which are fantastic I think in all respects. Great to drive, and they last a while too.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:19 PM   #14
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows

The reasons foreign car companies are setting up in the US is not quality - these are business decisions based on tax laws, customs and tariff laws, need for updated facilities, taxpayer sponsored tax breaks (corporate welfare) and availability of labor. Most likely the reason VW is looking @ Chattanooga, Diamler Benz is building in Tuscaloosa, Al, etc is the cost of labor, utilities, corporate taxes, American import fees and tariffs, etc causes it to be more expensive to build the car in Germany then in the US. The weakening of the US dollar against the Euro helps this matter as well.

The next time you buy an American car, look @ the final assembly point - about 1/2 of GM's are built in Mexico or imported Daewoos from Korea
tbaxleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 09:28 PM   #15
DBain
CF Enthusiast

A friend of mine would only own american cars for years. She feels it helps the US by giving americans work. The last car she bought was an eclipse. Before anyone could comment on her new Japanese car she said, "It was put together in the US."
I also recall when Toyota joined up with NASCAR their arguement was the camry they were racing was built in the US. So it wasn't "unamerican"
As far as quality goes I would imagine the plants are all ISO (International Standards or Operations) So if any difference, it would be un-noticed.

1987 Chevy Scotsdale
350CI TBI 4sp Auto 2WD
2dr Std Cab Short Bed
DBain is offline   Reply With Quote