Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Classic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2008, 04:10 PM   #1
dark_static6
CF Newbie

Caddy Hearse

Okay, I just bought a 1970 Cadillac Hearse and a new motor for it for $850 (USD) The body (While solid and not all beat up) is in BAD SHAPE (needs paint and cleaning). This thing weighs 3 1/4 tons!!! I have to take steps to reduce the weight on it just a bit, but I'll dedinitely post pics of the hearse (which I have dubbed "Dethwagen") as work progresses (and when i can get a digital camera... )...peace!!!
dark_static6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:11 AM   #2
corbett_auto
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_static6
Okay, I just bought a 1970 Cadillac Hearse and a new motor for it for $850 (USDA) The body (While solid and not all beat up) is in BAD SHAPE (needs paint and cleaning). This thing weighs 3 1/4 tons!!! I have to take steps to reduce the weight on it just a bit, but I'll dedinitely post pics of the hearse (which I have dubbed "Dethwagen") as work progresses (and when i can get a digital camera... )...peace!!!

Sounds like you got a pretty good deal, but it may all depend on your final goal. Reducing weight may be hard on to do and maintain structural integrity. But in general just start removing anything you do not need or want:
  • bumpers
  • trim
  • spare tire
  • coffin
  • etc...

let us know what your plans are and we can give you some specific info:
daily driver, race, weekend cruiser, Halloween tours, funerals...

We are finishing up work on a 76 El Dorado conv.... the parts for these things are much higher than the more common GM models.

Last edited by corbett_auto : 10-22-2008 at 04:15 AM.
corbett_auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 03:39 PM   #3
dark_static6
CF Newbie

im just one of those weird people who have always wanted a hearse...just to be different, this thing will probably be an everyday car for me. not really looking for a hot rod or anything to go fast, just to get where i need to go and look cool getting there...but im thinking for weight reduction, i'll take the rollers out of the back (not gonna be haulin' any corpses anyway)and put some carpet down and maybe some other unneccesary parts. as for the paint...gloss black for the most part, and spray-on bedliner for the top part...i could change my mind about the color...i DO have a lot of time before i get started...it is only a hobby right now after all
dark_static6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 05:58 AM   #4
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_static6
i could change my mind about the color...i DO have a lot of time before i get started...it is only a hobby right now after all
I'm sorry... I don't think you'll fit in here.... It seems you actually have the right idea about making a project car a project just for the fun of it, with your own goals in mind, not someone else's.
Old 10-24-2008, 03:51 AM   #5
corbett_auto
CF Addict

I also think it's cool you know what you want. And through it all remember why you are doing it---- for fun!