Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2008, 08:49 AM   #46
full house
CF Newbie

stay calm guys! Don't be angry . . .You have both points you just need to settle things . . .
full house is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 08:29 PM   #47
mazda6man
im JDM TITE YO!

[quote=Nissan_Altima] 2+2=? QUOTE]

FOUR!!! what do i win?
My rides = 1992 Cressida aka "the Cressy"
1985 Cressida aka "pain in my asshole"

mazda6man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 06:42 AM   #48
95 Z
CF Newbie

Only 1 problem..

Its not really all that hard 2 beat some cars in a "street race" rather than at the track. For instance I have a 95 z28 convertible which sits right at a little over 300 horsepower (and no this may not be exact i have yet 2 dyno it) and a friend of mine has a 96 cobra svt with i think its a t56 or 66 supercharger i cant remember he just got it and its got 475 horsepower and i know this 4 a fact cus we just went 2 the dyno with it. But anyway i being a chevy guy got cocky and was messing around and he got me 2 race him. The road was a good 1/4 mile and i beat him by a good 5 car lengths. But be4 yall start saying no way here is my point. Racing outside the track is different cus of the traction ur tires get at the track opposed 2 off the track. Cus during our street race my friend spun through 2nd gear and me having a camaro which are great off the line i was halfway down the road be 4 he started actually getting anywhere. But then we went 2 the track and his car caught traction and as i deserved he waxed my ass which im not sad at all cus i put alot of work in his car with him So this is why i believe this thread on "killing cars" in street races is pointless cus everything is different at the track
Old 10-06-2008, 07:46 AM   #49
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 Z
Its not really all that hard 2 beat some cars in a "street race" rather than at the track. For instance I have a 95 z28 convertible which sits right at a little over 300 horsepower (and no this may not be exact i have yet 2 dyno it) and a friend of mine has a 96 cobra svt with i think its a t56 or 66 supercharger i cant remember he just got it and its got 475 horsepower and i know this 4 a fact cus we just went 2 the dyno with it. But anyway i being a chevy guy got cocky and was messing around and he got me 2 race him. The road was a good 1/4 mile and i beat him by a good 5 car lengths. But be4 yall start saying no way here is my point. Racing outside the track is different cus of the traction ur tires get at the track opposed 2 off the track. Cus during our street race my friend spun through 2nd gear and me having a camaro which are great off the line i was halfway down the road be 4 he started actually getting anywhere. But then we went 2 the track and his car caught traction and as i deserved he waxed my ass which im not sad at all cus i put alot of work in his car with him So this is why i believe this thread on "killing cars" in street races is pointless cus everything is different at the track
Yes but I spend most of my time driving on the street...in fact ive never drag raced my car at the track nor do I plan on it because numbers from the track dont always translate to the street. My friend ran a 14.1 on the track with his camaro, on the street he kept up with another camaro that ran 13.3 on a different day at the same track. Its not to say I don't support legal racing, but I think drag racing is stupid anyway, and if I do want to see who's car is quicker, its much easier for me to find an empty road away from traffic rather than lug ass all the way to the track in the neighboring state just to find out that that day they are having issues with the light, or some ****tard brought out a POS car and left a spill at the starting line...the one time I did want to go to the track with a bunch of friends they shut the whole thing down because the forecast called for POSSIBLE RAIN!

To me, street performance is more important than track performance, the track is a good place to learn, and I do support auto-x racing to improve driver skill rather than noob dodging traffic in rush hour to learn distance perception and braking distance and such.

Cliff notes: I don't care about 1/4 mile numbers because in real life they mean absolutely
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 11:33 PM   #50
Spanky2324
JDM LOL

You can sell the honda but cant take the honda out of the driver.

92% of teens moved on to rap music.
If you're part of the 8% that rock out everyday, put this in your signature

Owning a DSM is like having retarded kids. You get angered and frustrated by them yet you love them to death.
Spanky2324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 05:17 AM   #51
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky2324
You can sell the honda but cant take the honda out of the driver.
Yea, for some reason driving an hour to a dragstrip when I have local places to go to that are safe for racing doesnt appeal to me, call it how you want it. I'm sure I will go to the track eventually, but not for drag racing...road race yes, auto-x yes.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:21 AM   #52
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
]

Cliff notes: I don't care about 1/4 mile numbers because in real life they mean absolutely

First your friends 14 second camaro didnt get faster on the street, the 13.3 second camaro got slower. Or possibly those few tenths were unnoticable without a timer. that isnt much time.

Second 1/4 times may mean shit unless you are paid to race but so are dang near all perfromance numbers. You think your autocross numbers mean something? No they dont.

And dont act high and mighty about how autocrossing is harder and it has more to do with the driver blah blah blah. Real drag racing isnt easy. People think its easy because of the dumbass ricers who take their 115hp civics to the strip and run a whopping 17 seconds. Drag racing a fast car is hard.

Its the same in autocross, autocrossing a bicycle would be easy cause its ****ing slow.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:16 AM   #53
DBain
CF Enthusiast

It all depends on what you're looking for out of the race. If you want a straight line with no margin for error because it's over in under 15seconds or goto a circle track where if one lap you miss a shift or spin the tires you have a chance to catch up in the laps following.
Racing is a challenge whether it's on the strip, circle track, or from a red light on main st. That's why people race after all.

1987 Chevy Scotsdale
350CI TBI 4sp Auto 2WD
2dr Std Cab Short Bed
DBain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:37 PM   #54
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enthusiast
First your friends 14 second camaro didnt get faster on the street, the 13.3 second camaro got slower. Or possibly those few tenths were unnoticable without a timer. that isnt much time.

Second 1/4 times may mean shit unless you are paid to race but so are dang near all perfromance numbers. You think your autocross numbers mean something? No they dont.

And dont act high and mighty about how autocrossing is harder and it has more to do with the driver blah blah blah. Real drag racing isnt easy. People think its easy because of the dumbass ricers who take their 115hp civics to the strip and run a whopping 17 seconds. Drag racing a fast car is hard.

Its the same in autocross, autocrossing a bicycle would be easy cause its ****ing slow.
Autocross is more involved than drag because not only do you have to take off the line and shift well, you have to turn too, and brake, and not just at the end of the course....hard concept I know.

I just dont see a point in taking my car to the track, I know what others have ran with my setup, I don't need to travel an hour out of state to be reassured of that.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:34 PM   #55
V-Tec
CF's student post whore

Quote:
Autocross is more involved than drag because not only do you have to take off the line and shift well, you have to turn too, and brake, and not just at the end of the course....hard concept I know.

I just dont see a point in taking my car to the track, I know what others have ran with my setup, I don't need to travel an hour out of state to be reassured of that.
in drag u do need to turn (traction issues) also there is a lot more pressure on your shifting because evere shift is very vital. In autocross you can miss a gear but make it up on your braking/turning. One isn't better than the other. They are equally as hard. Its a preference. personally i like drag more but that might be because of my current car. If i had a slow ass NA mr2 again then i am sure i would like auto x more since the car handled like a dream.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:55 AM   #56
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

Quote:

Oh so you think because one guy went out and ran a certain time on a good track and probably in good air you could to. Your are the laughing stock of drag racing. Your car may be capable of a 13 second pass but I highly doubt you are, its the same as AutoX, just cause a pro can do it in X seconds doesnt mean you can. Go out and actually do it.

Plus alot of times there are alot more to setups than people let on. The little stuff really matters. Sure you may have an intake and exhaust and a guy with the same mods may trap 10X, but that doesnt mean your car will. His car could be meticulously maintained and in excellent running condition, while your may have degrading plug wires (and you wouldnt know without an osciliscope) or fouled plugs and you not even know it.

Ive seen two Lt1s with the same cam trap 5mph difference, in similar weight, and drivetrain setups.

Go to the track and Ill think youll understand.
First it harder than you think
Its also alot of fun
Its a great gauge on your motors health/power output (trap speed)
And your alot slower than you think

Ive seen alot of 100mph cars run mid 15s, just cause one can do the ET doesnt mean you can. On the old motor I should have had a considerably lower ET for my trap speed but I didnt and I can admit it.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:44 PM   #57
mazda6man
im JDM TITE YO!

i used to be into the whole drag racing thing. back when i had my little honda that ran 16s.... sure its not easy to time each gear correctly, ive seen peple blow their engines because they missed a gear, or sadly hit the wrong gear... but track racing is far more exciting because it lasts longer, theres more action, and yes as stated above apart from going fast you have to be able to all the other things that a car is capable of doing... slow down, turn, speed up, and um... try not to hit other cars!
however i disclude nascar, thats boring. i like turning right everyonce in a while lol.
as for my kill post, i think i took out a civic on the hwy in my cressida. woot!

Old 10-08-2008, 11:42 PM   #58
fudge
let's fighting love

ALMS is where its at
Old 10-09-2008, 04:21 PM   #59
mazda6man
im JDM TITE YO!

by almes you mean le mans? then yes, you are correct. that is a race i never miss... unless i miss it

Old 10-09-2008, 05:01 PM   #60
fudge
let's fighting love

The American Le Mans series is the best motorsport to watch. Was gutted though to see all the Acuras crashing out last weekend. Hopefully they will give Audi a run for their money next year in P1.