Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2008, 09:18 PM   #1
kllewis2
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Albany NY
Posts: 3
Error 37 code for a 1998 Plymouth Neon

Error 37 code for a 1998 Plymouth Neon after 5 hours of highway speed (288 miles). The book says (Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid circuit An open or shorted condition detected )
kllewis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 10:14 PM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Oh look. A short story. How cute.

WTF?
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 05:45 AM   #3
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Somewhere in the Southeastern U.S.
Posts: 1,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by kllewis2
Error 37 code for a 1998 Plymouth Neon after 5 hours of highway speed (288 miles). The book says (Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid circuit An open or shorted condition detected )

are you asking something, telling us something - need help understanding
tbaxleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 04:44 PM   #4
kllewis2
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Albany NY
Posts: 3
broke down? Error code 37

Asking if this condition is serious for my wife to drive the other 288 miles to get home or should we get some "professional" attention. Someone to actually help me. That can tell what to do or how to remedy this problem. Any kind of codes scare her..If she lets the car cool off(take breaks to let the transmission fluid cool).Wondering if she be alright till she gets the car home.
kllewis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 05:23 PM   #5
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by kllewis2
Asking if this condition is serious for my wife to drive the other 288 miles to get home or should we get some "professional" attention. Someone to actually help me. That can tell what to do or how to remedy this problem. Any kind of codes scare her..If she lets the car cool off(take breaks to let the transmission fluid cool).Wondering if she be alright till she gets the car home.
Now you've asked us to go from trying to figure out what you're on about to being able to see into the future. To your credit, you at least gave a somewhat complete and readable description.

No matter where you do it, you're going to need an acurate diagnosis and repair, which means taking it to a competent "professional" shop. If the TCC circuit is in fact shorted or open, the TCC won't engage. If the TCC doesn't engage, you could possibly overheat the transmission fluid driving at highway speed and if driven long enough do damage to the transmission.

What you never did tell us is if there is any sort of drivability concern other than the MIL being illuminated. It may be legit or it may be a phantom code. I don't know and neither will anyone else sitting on the other side of their computer, no matter what they tell you.

So guess what? You still need competent "professional" help to determine the best course of action.


How's that for not having my crystal ball handy?
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 06:26 PM   #6
kllewis2
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Albany NY
Posts: 3
broke down? Error code 37

Being that her car has a weak throttle pressure cable,which in turn causing sometimes slow returns and later shifts, would that possibly pull up a phantom code after driving 288 miles straight.? My point is it never showed any codes for TCC circuit before. If it was a hard code would it come back right after resetting it. Or does she need to drive long distance highway speeds for the MIL to be illuminated. She drove in town and highway near and around her mother's since my first post. If the torque converter solenoid is not locking it should still be dumping raw fuel and throwing a code?
kllewis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 10:45 PM   #7
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by kllewis2
Being that her car has a weak throttle pressure cable,which in turn causing sometimes slow returns and later shifts, would that possibly pull up a phantom code after driving 288 miles straight.? My point is it never showed any codes for TCC circuit before. If it was a hard code would it come back right after resetting it. Or does she need to drive long distance highway speeds for the MIL to be illuminated. She drove in town and highway near and around her mother's since my first post. If the torque converter solenoid is not locking it should still be dumping raw fuel and throwing a code?
A weak throttle pressure cable? I don't even know what that's supposed to mean. Have you load tested it for strength, or what? Based on what you've said about it, my guess is that you have no concept as to what a TV cable does for a living. And to take it a step further, it sounds like maybe you've been playing with it and possibly created or exacerbated an existing problem.

Be that as it may, I can't see how incorrect line pressure would cause an electronic control DTC to be set. On the other hand, we're not dealing with a DTC here. All powertrain DTC's on OBD-II vehicles are five digit, alpha numeric and always begin with the letter P. To take that further, a transmission DTC will almost certainly be P07xx.

As to the hard code question, even if it's a hard code, the proper operating conditions must be met to set a code and illuminate the MIL, but I'm not going to take the time to determine what those conditions are. However, a qualified individual with proper diagnostic equipment can narrow it down in short order. That's what they get paid to do, and it obvious you haven't had anyone remotely qualified look at it based on the code you supplied.

You just might have to get of your wallet to find out what's going on with the car. A little bit spent on diagnostics and repair now just might save you a lot spent on towing and transmission repair later.

Finally because I forgot... Now it's "dumping raw fuel"? I have no idea what that would have to do with a TCC solenoid. I'm even more confused as to why that little gem never came up before or why you think it's occurring.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:04 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.