Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2008, 10:52 PM   #1
Bigroby
CF Newbie

1989 Celebrity Power Window Problem

I am new to this forum. My car is a 4 door. I have problems with the master window control on the drivers door. It will not control any windows, not even the drivers window (half way down), stuck. The other windows operate from their respective switches on their doors - up and down, no problem.

I purchased another master switch from a parts car and it does not work either ($45 wasted). Any help would really be appreciated.
Thanks
Bigroby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 12:20 AM   #2
dvdrose18
CF's resident Nurse

Next time think things out and diagnose the problem before you go throwing parts at it. The fact that none of the windows works from that switch tells you that it is probably NOT the switch. What is the probability that 4 switches go bad at the same time? See if you have power to the switch. My guess is that you do not, possibly because of a broken wire in the harness between the door and the rest of the car. If you don't have power to the switch, locate the hot wire in the harness in by hinge and give it a good wiggle and see if it changes anything. If it does, the wire is probably broken and needs to be patched/replaced. If it doesn't change anything, it still may be broken, but you will have to measure continuity to be sure, which is easier said than done. If the wire is not the problem, look for a loose connection, either at the switch or at the fuse box.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:35 AM   #3
Bigroby
CF Newbie

Excellent logic. Since the drivers door switch was broken (forgot to mention) and with no wiring diagram, I was not sure if the power for the rest of the switches in that panel worked from it. I did find burn marks on the printed circuit board. Not sure how hard it will be to trace the wiring but hopefully, your suggestions will solve it.
Thanks for responding.
Bigroby is offline   Reply With Quote