Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2008, 02:24 PM   #1
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Back to basics 'Army' Jeep...

I read in the bible that Jeep is to make a kind of replica to their Wrangler of old! Apparently it'll have no creature comforts, right down to rear 'curtains' instread of windows. Now this clearly isn't for everybody, but it certainly has a certain appeal to it! Below are pics and the review!

Quote:
With its unique wartime heritage, Jeep has always had a hard-man image. Yet even the Wrangler Ė the US firmís most rugged offering Ė has been growing increasingly soft of late. So itís hardly surprising that Jeep is looking to toughen up its act. And in traditional US military style, itís expecting the Sarge to lead the way.

Itís currently a concept thatís designed to show how a civilian version of the firmís J8 military vehicle would look. And although itís Wrangler-based, the Sarge redefines the word utilitarian.

At first glance the running boards look like painted scaffolding poles, while the bumpers are metal girders. You do get doors, albeit flimsy ones to access the two front seats. And although the Sarge has a fixed roof, the load bed at the back has old-style canvas sides that you roll up.

Of course the paint finish helps the macho look, as do the tongue-in-cheek military logos on the bodywork and jokey Ďbulletproof glassí sticker on the plastic window behind the two seats. Overall, it looks like a refugee from Eighties action series The A-Team.

If the exterior makes a regular Wrangler look as macho as a pair of slingbacks, the feeling inside merely emphasises it. You donít get anything as pampering as carpets, for instance. In fact, thereís no floor covering at all, simply painted metal. This aside, there are standard Wrangler seats and, bizarrely for such a big vehicle, the same slightly restricted driving position.

Beneath the bonnet is the standard 2.8-litre diesel which produces 174bhp and 400Nm of torque. But elsewhere the Sarge has undergone some significant modification. The bodywork sits on a frame thatís been beefed up to military specification. The Wranglerís coil springs have been abandoned in favour of tough old-school leaf items. And there are 17-inch wheels rather than the regular 16-inchers, as well as larger front disc brakes.

The results donít do the machineís on-road handling any favours. It canít soak up bumps very well and feels skittish and unsettled. However, take it off road and the Sarge comes into its own, offering even more all-terrain ability than the legendary Land Rover Defender. The Command-Trac four-wheel drive and Trac-Lok limited-slip rear differential mean the Sarge will make light work of the sort of ground that would see most SUVs surrender on the spot.

With hardly any sound deadening, the noise of the diesel makes small talk in the cabin difficult. But with so much torque mated to a five-speed auto, what this Jeep lacks in sophistication, it compensates for with sheer grunt.

Jeep has yet to confirm whether a civilian J8 will ever be seen on a green lane near you. If it does, itíll lift macho motoring to a whole new level.

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48

Last edited by Cliffy : 08-13-2008 at 03:57 PM.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 03:19 PM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
I read in the bible that Jeep is to make a kind of replica to their Wrangler of old! Apparently it'll have no creature comforts, right down to rear 'curtains' instread of windows. Now this clearly isn't for everybody, but it certainly has a certain appeal to it! Below are pics and the review!
You're kidding me, right? Back to basics, my hairy old ass. Long wheelbase, automatic transmission, heat and looks like air conditioning, full doors with power windows, it even has an arm rest between the seats and cup holders. How about down optioned Jeep with flat paint and a bunch of childish lettering to prop up the ego of wannabe urban commandos, especially harley owners. I'm sure they'll sell a bunch. And good job posting the review... Wait a minute! What review?

P.S. I would have thought that the self proclaimed moderator of the decade would have been smart enough to post downsized pictures instead of those monsters. I guess the rules are only meant to be followed by other people.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 03:37 PM   #3
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
You're kidding me, right? Back to basics, my hairy old ass. Long wheelbase, automatic transmission, heat and looks like air conditioning, full doors with power windows, it even has an arm rest between the seats and cup holders. How about down optioned Jeep with flat paint and a bunch of childish lettering to prop up the ego of wannabe urban commandos, especially harley owners. I'm sure they'll sell a bunch. And good job posting the review... Wait a minute! What review?

P.S. I would have thought that the self proclaimed moderator of the decade would have been smart enough to post downsized pictures instead of those monsters. I guess the rules are only meant to be followed by other people.
So you'll slate me on posting a clearly relevent (car orientated at least) thread, yet you'll welcome 'What' back with open arms in yet another pointless thread by him? twat. I don't deam those pictures too big, at least no bigger than I'm prepared toallow other members to post. It has no air con that I can see, no electric windows....actually, I don't think it has any windows. So yeah, it's back to basics. The only 'new' thing is the engine I believe.

Oh yeah my apologies...I forgot about the review....It's now been added.

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Last edited by Cliffy : 08-13-2008 at 03:59 PM.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:25 PM   #4
dvdrose18
CF's resident Nurse

I tend to mostly agree with the hobo on this one. The outside looks ok, but they could have done better. The inside, on the other hand, needs some serious help. The whole center console and all of the cheep plastic needs to go. get rid of the glove box and the plastic door trim and dash. give me some undecorated sheet metal with some guages stuck in it. Give me a manual transmission with a floor shifter. I think they chickened out of going all the way. sure they got rid of the carpet, but they left everything else.
Over all grade? I give them a D-. The idea was good, but they didn't follow through.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:32 PM   #5
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdrose18
I tend to mostly agree with the hobo on this one. The outside looks ok, but they could have done better. The inside, on the other hand, needs some serious help. The whole center console and all of the cheep plastic needs to go. get rid of the glove box and the plastic door trim and dash. give me some undecorated sheet metal with some guages stuck in it. Give me a manual transmission with a floor shifter. I think they chickened out of going all the way. sure they got rid of the carpet, but they left everything else.
Over all grade? I give them a D-. The idea was good, but they didn't follow through.
I don't think they chickened out, I think they meant it not to be a realistic replica of the original model, but one that looks the same from the outside, and the inside to be fairly bland with none of the usual creature comforts.

Old 08-14-2008, 02:39 AM   #6
dvdrose18
CF's resident Nurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
I don't think they chickened out, I think they meant it not to be a realistic replica of the original model, but one that looks the same from the outside, and the inside to be fairly bland with none of the usual creature comforts.
so they got rid of the carpet because it was too much comfort but left the navagation system or whatever the display is? I still think they were just too chicken to change anything more than aesthetics. I guess the targeted consumer is the one that want's too look cool, but can't go without the frills.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:28 AM   #7
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Agreeing with the herd on this one...just a crappy publicity-type niche vehicle. Give me a 4WD, flat painted, hand crank windows, no nav/sound system/AC (heat is ok), stick, for under 15K. It can be done. I can do without the fold down windshield and would like a hardtop (I believe the originals didn't have tops and did have a folding windshield), but wouldn't mind them.

I've been saying the same thing about a sports car for as long as I remember. Manual seats/windows, no carpeting, no sound system, no AC/heat, and bam, you've knocked off a bunch of weight and lowered the price tag. Plus now no vacuming the interior, just get out a hose. I'm guessing with the reduced weight/price you could have one that handles well, runs (high) 12s in the 1/4 for 20K.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 05:53 AM   #8
dvdrose18
CF's resident Nurse

I was wondering about the fold down windshield myself, but I guess it would be hard to get it past safety standards. Probably the same for the top. I guess with all the laws and requirements it is hard to have a simple vehicle anymore, and people are so used to luxury it is hard to find a large enough market that is willing to give it up.
I agree with the sports car too. It would be nice to see a simple roadster hit production, aside from the Ariel Atom with its insane price tag.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:31 PM   #9
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
so they got rid of the carpet because it was too much comfort but left the navagation system or whatever the display is? I still think they were just too chicken to change anything more than aesthetics. I guess the targeted consumer is the one that want's too look cool, but can't go without the frills.
I don't think that's a navation system...just a black plastic cover where the stereo should be...

Old 08-14-2008, 04:49 PM   #10
dvdrose18
CF's resident Nurse

Looks to me like they left the nav/entertainment system, and turned the air vents into the control buttons/knobs.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:42 AM   #11
2007DBR9
CF Newbie

Now where was it I have seen this thread before??

And no, these pics aren't too big. Calm down
2007DBR9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 01:41 PM   #12
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:

Looks to me like they left the nav/entertainment system, and turned the air vents into the control buttons/knobs.
Are we sure that's not what happens to the air vents when you close them? Like Skodas and VWs do.