Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Classic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2008, 09:58 PM   #1
taylors
CF Newbie

Classic car insurance question

so i just bought my first classic car(1970 Cutlass S) and i'm now on the hunt for insurance. Now here is where I feel let down, all the insurance companies for classic cars so far have serious restriction on where and when you can drive the car, i.e. can't drive to work or shopping malls or big box stores and so on. Now here in Ontario we get a short summer most years, and when the weather is nice you really have to take advantage. Basically on a beautiful friday i would like nothing more then to cruise the cutlass to work and then on to friends house after, can't do it. Basically they are saying you can only drive the car to car related events.

Is there anywhere i can insure a classic car that i can actually drive it and enjoy it the way it was supposed to be? If anyone in ON., or canada has any advice it would be great, once again insurance is sucking the fun out of cars for me.
taylors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:23 PM   #2
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylors
so i just bought my first classic car(1970 Cutlass S) and i'm now on the hunt for insurance. Now here is where I feel let down, all the insurance companies for classic cars so far have serious restriction on where and when you can drive the car, i.e. can't drive to work or shopping malls or big box stores and so on. Now here in Ontario we get a short summer most years, and when the weather is nice you really have to take advantage. Basically on a beautiful friday i would like nothing more then to cruise the cutlass to work and then on to friends house after, can't do it. Basically they are saying you can only drive the car to car related events.

Is there anywhere i can insure a classic car that i can actually drive it and enjoy it the way it was supposed to be? If anyone in ON., or canada has any advice it would be great, once again insurance is sucking the fun out of cars for me.

Must you get "classic car" insurance? My Auto Club insurance has the options of setting up custom insurance policies...but I'm not sure how they'd handle a "classic car". Is it totally custom? Fully restored? Even so, it's only a 1970...not like your trying to insure a 1931 Ford... I see lots and lots of classic muscle cars out on the streets.

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 02:26 AM   #3
taylors
CF Newbie

i'm not specifically looking for classic car insurance. I was told by the first few insurance companies I contacted that they won't cover cars over 30 years, that lead me to start looking under classic.

The car is currently original, stock rocket 350, at some point will be going for a W-30 clone 455. I don't see that happening in the next few years though. Would really just like to get it on the road for some driving time and enjoy it in the original condition.

I see so many classic muscle cars on the road and think that all these guys can't only be driving under the restricted conditions.

Any direction would be great as the random calling insurance company thing can get really annoying fast.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:26 PM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
i'm not specifically looking for classic car insurance. I was told by the first few insurance companies I contacted that they won't cover cars over 30 years, that lead me to start looking under classic.

The car is currently original, stock rocket 350, at some point will be going for a W-30 clone 455. I don't see that happening in the next few years though. Would really just like to get it on the road for some driving time and enjoy it in the original condition.

I see so many classic muscle cars on the road and think that all these guys can't only be driving under the restricted conditions.

Any direction would be great as the random calling insurance company thing can get really annoying fast.
Golly gosh Wilbur, let me do some cypherin'.

Here's a thought. Instead of going to a mostly US based forum to ask a bunch of anonymous people about Canadian car insurance, why don't we try this. How about talking to the owner/driver of one of those "so many classic muscle cars" you see "on the road" and ask them? After all, they apparently have first hand experience with the system and they might even care. It's called taking some initiative.

As you were, carry on, resume the normal daily ignorance.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 12:30 AM   #5
taylors
CF Newbie

there's one on every board it seems keep the image going
Old 09-24-2008, 01:36 AM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
there's one on every board it seems keep the image going
The sad thing is that I gave you the best and most logical answer to your question. You're just too thick headed to realize it. Your loss.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 03:34 AM   #7
corbett_auto
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
The sad thing is that I gave you the best and most logical answer to your question. You're just too thick headed to realize it. Your loss.

Best yes, most logical yes again.... tactful, possibly not, but I suppose it is better than no answer at all.