Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2008, 05:55 PM   #1
StarryKnight
CF Newbie

Unhappy Drive shaft boot gaping hole

Hi all... sry not been active here since long... my life is just so fooked rite now.. i dont have time for anything...

I have again a problem with my car...a few weeks back i had looked beneath it to see a round rubber cover type thing to be torn on a rod leading to a wheel... I did not know back then what it was and had decided to get it replaced in the next service.

Today i was going through its manual to check the maintenance schedule, i came across a word "drive shaft boots" in it. I did not get it so i searched for it on the net... seeing the images i now know that was the same thing that had torn apart on my car.

I do not hear any clicking noise even if i turn very sharply left or rite for now at least... btw the hole is on the left side wheel. There is no grease left inside, but the shaft is still covered with some. I don't know how long it has been torn but it is quite big.

I put my finger in to see how much debris is in there, well the grease felt rather very coarse between my fingers.

I have read that many a times the whole drive shaft has to be replaced in such a scenario.

What shud i do??

I guess the rite one also has some hole in it cause there's is grease on part of the boot.

Is it wise to get the whole shaft changed at this point when i can't feel anything wrong with it?

What to do of the other boot?

Why on earth have they switched to this damned fwd in the first place!?
StarryKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 06:36 PM   #2
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

I believe that would be the CV boot. I had the same problem on my X5 about a year ago. The boot developed a tear and the spinning action spit the grease all over the place. I'm not real sure how long it was torn, but I simply had the boot and grease replaced. I had both sides done at the same time, my mechanic said it looked fine.

I don't think the whole axle needs replacing, but then I don't know the extent of damage or amount of time the joint has been working with the dirt and grease mixture. It's probably best to have some one with knowledge on the matter take a look at it.

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 04:07 AM   #3
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-

Best thing to do is take the joint apart and examine the components. If they are not too heavily scored, replace the boots and grease and put it back together. Your manual may have a guide on how to do this.

By the way Bav, X5 CV boots going is a major problem with them, I do them all the time. Have you had the power steering high pressure hose done yet?
Old 09-26-2008, 10:03 AM   #4
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew
Best thing to do is take the joint apart and examine the components. If they are not too heavily scored, replace the boots and grease and put it back together. Your manual may have a guide on how to do this.

By the way Bav, X5 CV boots going is a major problem with them, I do them all the time. Have you had the power steering high pressure hose done yet?

No...I haven't. Is it a simple change an idiot like me could do?

Old 09-27-2008, 10:45 AM   #5
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianWheels
No...I haven't. Is it a simple change an idiot like me could do?

Yeah if you can get under the car its easy, takes about 45 min. I find those things are nearly always leaking by 100,000 km.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:06 PM   #6
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew
Yeah if you can get under the car its easy, takes about 45 min. I find those things are nearly always leaking by 100,000 km.
Oh, then I still have a couple thousand miles left for that to happen. We're at 98k miles...err...km...maybe not. oops.

Old 10-27-2008, 01:47 PM   #7
StarryKnight
CF Newbie

Just thought i shud post what happened.... well i think i caught the joints in time ... had the boots changed, cv joints cleaned, new greese filled in all four boots. looks good as new.
I still hear no sounds whatsoever on turning or anything, so i guess i'm good. Thx for ur posts guys!
StarryKnight is offline   Reply With Quote