Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2008, 05:46 AM   #16
stevewiffer
CF Newbie

Yeah, i'm not going for the h2b...im pretty sure its aimed towards people who already have a b series engine.

I'm in the DFW area, texas. So, assuming you're in philly....i'll probably have to get all of the stuff myself. But i do need to know a few things. First off...

1.) Can i use any H22 motor? (like this h22a type s? http://sunrisejdmmotors.com/engine_d...hp?id=7&page=1)

2.) What new parts will i need to buy, and what are the best ones to get? I don't like being cheap, so lets just stick to the best.(new mounts? axles? anything)

3.) are there any common problems i might run into that i can prepare for early?(clearance issues?)

4.) should i try to get the engine locally...or order it from a shop?

Sorry for all of the questions, but like i said before, im a newb.

Any help would be awesome.

Last edited by stevewiffer : 10-07-2008 at 05:49 AM.
stevewiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 08:06 AM   #17
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewiffer
I'm located in the Dallas-fort worth area. I have a d series right now...are there more powerful d series? A b18 wouldn't be to expensive. I'm thinking around 3-4k depending on my luck. I really don't know though.

Id say build the D series.
Get you some viatara pisonts, a z6 or y8 head, a crower cam, some good runs and slap a turbo on that bastard.

I still want to build me a turbo d sereis.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:23 PM   #18
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Yeah, i'm not going for the h2b...im pretty sure its aimed towards people who already have a b series engine.

I'm in the DFW area, texas. So, assuming you're in philly....i'll probably have to get all of the stuff myself. But i do need to know a few things. First off...

1.) Can i use any H22 motor? (like this h22a type s? http://sunrisejdmmotors.com/engine_d...hp?id=7&page=1)

2.) What new parts will i need to buy, and what are the best ones to get? I don't like being cheap, so lets just stick to the best.(new mounts? axles? anything)

3.) are there any common problems i might run into that i can prepare for early?(clearance issues?)

4.) should i try to get the engine locally...or order it from a shop?

Sorry for all of the questions, but like i said before, im a newb.

Any help would be awesome.
1. IIRC you can use any H22 motor
2. Axles, Mounts, pedal assemblies, shifter, shifter linkages, ECU (not sure on this one but my friend ran an integra GSR ecu on his for a little while...p72 i think its called)
3. the h22 sits a bit lower than the d-series, i think its 4 inches
4. not sure, id say locally
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 02:29 AM   #19
stevewiffer
CF Newbie

ok, so i've been hunting around. Do i want the obd1 or obd2? I've been reading that the obd1 is easier to modify than the obd2...and the obd1 is a lot cheaper. So with that knowledge alone...i would normally go with the obd1. But are there any advantages to the obd2 that i might like?

Also, lsd v. non-lsd. I cant really find a dumbed down definition of lsd...so i dont really know which one to go for. Once again the non-lsd is a lot cheaper. What is lsd going to do for me? Considering im going to be driving this on the street the majority of the time.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:51 AM   #20
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
ok, so i've been hunting around. Do i want the obd1 or obd2? I've been reading that the obd1 is easier to modify than the obd2...and the obd1 is a lot cheaper. So with that knowledge alone...i would normally go with the obd1. But are there any advantages to the obd2 that i might like?

Also, lsd v. non-lsd. I cant really find a dumbed down definition of lsd...so i dont really know which one to go for. Once again the non-lsd is a lot cheaper. What is lsd going to do for me? Considering im going to be driving this on the street the majority of the time.
OK, as far as OBD goes my experience is limited, but I think the emissions is different, OBD1 being easier to work with. I also hear it IS easier to tune and work with so I would go for that.

As far as LSD, definately go for it. LSD will make it easier to drive in the snow, and will make the car handle much better because it will transfer power to the wheel with the most grip (usually the outside wheel)...my buddy with the h22 EG says not getting an LSD transmission was the only thing he regrets from the swap.

Old 10-08-2008, 05:57 AM   #21
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
OK, as far as OBD goes my experience is limited, but I think the emissions is different, OBD1 being easier to work with. I also hear it IS easier to tune and work with so I would go for that.

As far as LSD, definately go for it. LSD will make it easier to drive in the snow, and will make the car handle much better because it will transfer power to the wheel with the most grip (usually the outside wheel)...my buddy with the h22 EG says not getting an LSD transmission was the only thing he regrets from the swap.

OBD I is usually easier to tune but OBDII doesnt require the sniffer if its a 96 or later which can be useful for some people.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:15 AM   #22
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enthusiast
OBD I is usually easier to tune but OBDII doesnt require the sniffer if its a 96 or later which can be useful for some people.
Isnt it even illegal to change OBD systems? I know here it is, so if you have an OBD2 motor in an OBD1 car its illegal and vise versa.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:27 AM   #23
stevewiffer
CF Newbie

First off, what's the sniffer? I guess I should find out what's legal here before I decide.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:31 PM   #24
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
First off, what's the sniffer? I guess I should find out what's legal here before I decide.
I think its when your exhaust smells like fuel because you arent running a cat. I think OBD2 cars are exempt from it in the sense that if theres no CEL on, they can't fail you for not running a cat but im not 100% sure.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:49 PM   #25
mazda6man
im JDM TITE YO!

hey hows it going. im in austin... dont go h22/h23 way to much work. if you want minimal work, you could get a d16 (it would bolt right in) and you could take the pistons form the d15. higher compression would give you more power. then find yourself a vtec head. they came on the 94-95 civic SI and the 1996-2000 EX civic. or for a little work go b20 with b16head

i dont belive it is illigal to change obd as long as you can pass emissions tests.
My rides = 1992 Cressida aka "the Cressy"
1985 Cressida aka "pain in my asshole"

mazda6man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 09:30 PM   #26
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda6man
hey hows it going. im in austin... dont go h22/h23 way to much work. if you want minimal work, you could get a d16 (it would bolt right in) and you could take the pistons form the d15. higher compression would give you more power. then find yourself a vtec head. they came on the 94-95 civic SI and the 1996-2000 EX civic. or for a little work go b20 with b16head

i dont belive it is illigal to change obd as long as you can pass emissions tests.
How would d15 pistons work in a d16...wouldnt the bore be different??

Old 10-09-2008, 04:16 PM   #27
mazda6man
im JDM TITE YO!

its the same block. honda doesnt change much. the only difference is the stroke. ie rods and crank. bore is the same. i forgot to mention theres a cetain engine of the civic with the d15 for the pistons you would need. i forget what one it is. i want to say d15d1 but again not sure

oh also, another thing to raise compression would be to get a thinner head gasket.

Old 10-09-2008, 04:18 PM   #28
mazda6man
im JDM TITE YO!

ok nm,found what i was looking for

D15B7 pistons in D16Z6 with D16Z6 head and D16Z6 gasket (pistons will be about 0.028" above the top of the block)
compression ratio = 11.71:1

D16A6 has pistons with slight dish (not domed)
D16A6 pistons in D16Z6 with D16Z6 head and D16Z6 gasket
compression ratio = 9.96:1

yowzers! thats some compression. warning. something like this would need superunleaded petrol

Old 10-10-2008, 05:52 AM   #29
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
I think its when your exhaust smells like fuel because you arent running a cat. I think OBD2 cars are exempt from it in the sense that if theres no CEL on, they can't fail you for not running a cat but im not 100% sure.

The sniffer is when they put an OBD1 car on the dyno and put an emissions tester in the tailpipe and measuer hydrocarbons or whatever.

Yes they can fail you for not having a cat. You cannot legaly remove an emissions parts that were installed on it from the factory and use it on public roads.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:52 AM   #30
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

Finally, thank you mazda man, D power rules