Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2008, 09:06 PM   #1
davann923
CF Newbie

Mazda

Hey I have a question. I like the mazda rx-8 and would like one. But I see the the fuel mileage is really bad and was wondering if anyone knows if there will be a more fuel efficient model later or if there's a way to make it more fuel efficient. Thanks.
davann923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 09:46 PM   #2
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davann923
Hey I have a question. I like the mazda rx-8 and would like one. But I see the the fuel mileage is really bad and was wondering if anyone knows if there will be a more fuel efficient model later or if there's a way to make it more fuel efficient. Thanks.
Mazda araparently going to modify their Rotary engine to be more fuel efficient ib 2010 if that helps? I'm sure I heard a whisper that they're going to stick a diesel in it at some point, that floats ya boat!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 09:55 PM   #3
Spanky2324
JDM LOL

92% of teens moved on to rap music.
If you're part of the 8% that rock out everyday, put this in your signature

Owning a DSM is like having retarded kids. You get angered and frustrated by them yet you love them to death.
Spanky2324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:15 PM   #4
fudge
let's fighting love

I think the rotary engine has done extraordinary well considering it had the fraction of development the piston engine had. Stupid how the organisers of Le Mans(I think it was the FIA back then) had to ban them after Mazda the race instead of adjusting the formula to make it fairer.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:20 AM   #5
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by davann923
People generally don't buy performance cars for the mileage...if you are worried about that, don't buy one because you won't be able to afford the maintenance either.
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 04:30 AM   #6
Satty101
CF's L body Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
People generally don't buy performance cars for the mileage...if you are worried about that, don't buy one because you won't be able to afford the maintenance either.

X2. repair bills on sports cars can be VERY pricey.

1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS (PC'd)
1994 Chevrolet Beretta Z26 Q4 (W41 M90'd)
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 (4WD)

My wife's cars:

1971 Dodge Charger SE (stock and original 383 auto)
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX (kid-hauler)
Satty101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 08:19 AM   #7
DBain
CF Enthusiast

Quote:

Just like anything else if you drive it nice the mileage wont be too bad, if you drive like you should drive a performance car, it'll suck. Like he said, if gas prices are an issue, affording one of these cars should be too.

1987 Chevy Scotsdale
350CI TBI 4sp Auto 2WD
2dr Std Cab Short Bed
DBain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 09:49 AM   #8
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBain
Just like anything else if you drive it nice the mileage wont be too bad, if you drive like you should drive a performance car, it'll suck. Like he said, if gas prices are an issue, affording one of these cars should be too.
Well the RX-8 despite only being a 1.3 is pretty poor on MPG compared to a similar sized piston engine, then again it makes the same sized piston engine look VERY poor on power. Rotary engines are great IMO, and apparently the new Renesis motors are pretty reliable to boot(minus the millions of recalls I've heard they can easily go 100k miles, unlike the older gen 13bs that needed rebuilds on a fairly regular basis.

The problem is maintenance. Its like my friend who wanted to buy an EVO* because they can be had in the low 20s now, but when he found out the price for parts such as brakes, good tires, and other tidbits, he changed his mind. Ferraris (I know its not the same tier car) from what I hear have to be serviced every 5000 miles, and not just oil change, but a whole lot, and its not priced the same as a Civic, or even an EVO for that matter. My boss told me its why so many of them are at the auctions, people buy them not knowing the maintenance side of things and then can't afford to maintain them properly.

Last edited by newyorker : 10-16-2008 at 09:51 AM.
Old 10-16-2008, 03:21 PM   #9
fudge
let's fighting love

First time in a while that petrol has dipped below 1/litre in the UK so at least something good has happened. With so few moving parts on the rotary engine you would have thought that it wouldn't be too hard to rebuild when it goes poop.

13Bs were turbocharged and probably had the boost increased by it's owner during their lifetime so it wasn't a suprise to see them more prone to failure than the new ones in the RX-8.

Converting to LPG is a possiblity as you can run a higher compression ratio due to it's high knock resistance and at half the price of petrol its seems a good idea. However the conversion itself might not make up for what you save plus not many garages sell them(ie you gotta do your research before you set off to refill)
Old 10-16-2008, 06:46 PM   #10
davann923
CF Newbie

All in all I like the rx-8 even if the mileage is bad. I still probably get one if i had a good enough job to pay for it. Has anyone ever seen a tv commercial for the rx-8? Just wondering because every time I see a mazda commercial it's always the 3's and 6's.
davann923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:32 PM   #11
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Well the RX-8 despite only being a 1.3 is pretty poor on MPG compared to a similar sized piston engine...
People need to get the whole 1.3-litre thing out of their heads. Before anybody has a go, I know it's a 1.3, but on paper, and technically only....It wouldn't be a 1.3-litre if it was a conventional engine! So the MPG and performance are about what you'd expect from a mid-range sports car.

Quote:
First time in a while that petrol has dipped below 1/litre in the UK so at least something good has happened. With so few moving parts on the rotary engine you would have thought that it wouldn't be too hard to rebuild when it goes poop.
Slightly off topic here, but I'm really liking how fuel has gone down in price, as I'm sure is everybody! Near me it's on around 1.07 per litre, although I've heard it's at 1.00 per litre just up the road! Worth travelling for?

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Old 10-17-2008, 01:23 AM   #12
fudge
let's fighting love

Its a 1.3 but bear in mind that Wankel cycle is different to the Otto cycle. Each rotor creates 3 power strokes per revolution compared to 1 power stroke per cylinder for every 2 revs. Thats why it's hp/litre ratio is high.

Cliffy, the price for crude oil is forecast to drop even lower so enjoy the lower fuel prices whilst the news is frenzied about the 'economy crisis'.
To be honest I seriously doubt they could sustain such high prices in petrol without some backlash!!
Old 10-17-2008, 08:17 AM   #13
newyorker
MXman

Gas has fallen here as well. When I got my MSM, I paid 4.35 for 93 octane the first time I ever filled it up, most recently I paid 3.35 for the same fuel from the same local station.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:32 PM   #14
DBain
CF Enthusiast

Yeah I hear a barrel of crude in the us is down around $75, when it was around $150 last winter. Oil dropped by a half but gas prices didn't. Still I paid $2.97/gal last I filled up.

1987 Chevy Scotsdale
350CI TBI 4sp Auto 2WD
2dr Std Cab Short Bed
DBain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 12:39 PM   #15
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge
Cliffy, the price for crude oil is forecast to drop even lower so enjoy the lower fuel prices whilst the news is frenzied about the 'economy crisis'.
To be honest I seriously doubt they could sustain such high prices in petrol without some backlash!!
0.87 per litre soon I hear....