Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Classic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2008, 02:20 AM   #1
Olds79
CF Newbie

1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme

I don't know how collectible you would call my car but anyway, I am really interested in garaging her and restoring the car while I drive something else (which I am searching for). She needs to be repainted and the interior needs some restoring. Does anyone have any websites I could use to find items for my car?
1993 Jeep Cherokee
Olds79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 05:10 AM   #2
corbett_auto
CF Addict

No matter how collectible it may be to others the main question is do you like it?

You may not find many sites that specialize in you make and year model. The best bet is to try and find a place where others go that feel as strongly about your car as you do... web sites like:

Car Domain, yahoo groups, etc..... From there you can network with others and you will be surprised at how many of them have extra parts that they will sell or sometimes give away, just to see another car like theirs on the road.

Also you could try some of the old stand by classifieds: Ebay, Craigslist, etc....

Good luck and let us know how the progress goes.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:14 PM   #3
Olds79
CF Newbie

Thanks for the help. I absolutely love my car to death.

I just recdeived information from my grandparents that I will be recieving their old Cadillac (1986 Coupe DeVille I think, I honestly have no idea). This solves my problem about garaging my baby and this car gets roughly 22 MPG unlike my Olds which I would estimate around 10 - 15 MPG.
1993 Jeep Cherokee
Old 11-23-2008, 10:09 PM   #4
Olds79
CF Newbie

Alright, now I have my 1988 Cadillac DeVille. Could anyone on here give me detailed information on pulling apart my Cutlass and repainting it?
1993 Jeep Cherokee
Old 11-25-2008, 04:44 AM   #5
corbett_auto
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olds79
Alright, now I have my 1988 Cadillac De Ville. Could anyone on here give me detailed information on pulling apart my Cutlass and repainting it?

How far apart do you plan to take it? Detailed instructions aren't exactly something that can be given here. You may want to find a few repair manuals and go from there. In general just pick a place to start (front, back, etc.) and slow start pulling pieces off one at a time. The most important advise I can give is take 100's of pictures to help aid reassembly, take your time and finally buy lots of zip lock bags and masking tape and label everything. Trust me, when you take it off, it may look like it can only go back together one way.... but 6 months from now you will be scratching your head.

Last edited by corbett_auto : 11-26-2008 at 06:16 AM.
corbett_auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 10:02 AM   #6
Olds79
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbett_auto
How far apart do you plan to take it? Detailed instructions aren't exactly something that can be given here. You may want to find a few repair manuals and go from there. In general just pick a place to start (front, back, etc.) and slow start pulling pieces off one at a time. The most important advise I can give is take 100's of pictures to help aid reassembly, take your time and finally buy lots of zip lock bags and masking tape and label everything. Trust me, when you take it off, it may look like it can only go back together one way.... but 6 months from now you will be scratching your head.
Thanks.

I plan on taking the hood, doors, trunk, rally tires, etc. off and repainting them the original burgandy color. I also intend on taking ou the majority if not all of the interior and repainting as many faded parts as I can and replace what is not repaintable or dry-rotted.

Also, just received word that my dad recently received word that his grandpa's truck was intended to be his but nobody told him until now. Well, it is a very nice 1969 Chevrolet Pickup. All I know is that it says C/10 on the side. It is a light blue color with a white top on it. A lot of the body is rusted and the interior (well the seats) isn't too hot. Needless to say it is a ten to twenty year project. I haven't said anything about it mechanically, but like I say all the time: "I love cars to death...I just don't know anything (mechanical) about them." It doesn't run and the front right tire is blown out.

If this classic was restored, it would be worth a fortune. What I am getting at is that we intend on taking a part off of the Chevy and attempting to repaint it. "Trying our hand" at repainting automobiles if you will. If and when we get it down, we will focus on the Cutlass, repainting the whole car pretty much.

Would you know where I could get some replacement whitewalls for my baby?
1993 Jeep Cherokee
Old 11-30-2008, 09:35 PM   #7
DBain
CF Enthusiast

I love the look of those old trucks. I'd start by calling up LMC truck and ordering a catalog from them. Generally you can find the parts cheaper elsewhere, but it's a good resource. You can get exploded views of the truck and even a little background info. Also more often then not they have the rare parts you can't get elsewhere and offer everything down to the bolts and washers. Interior, exterior, even custom add-ons.

1987 Chevy Scotsdale
350CI TBI 4sp Auto 2WD
2dr Std Cab Short Bed
DBain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 04:56 AM   #8
corbett_auto
CF Addict

I agree with DBain LMC is a great resource for truck parts. We used them on occasion as well.

And for the whitewalls Coker Tire has everything. But if you are not looking for something too specific try talking to your local tire dealer, you may be surprised by what he can get.

Keep us posted on your progress and pictures are always welcome.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:54 PM   #10
corbett_auto
CF Addict

Nice pictures. Love the shot with the Camaros in the background.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:20 AM   #11
Olds79
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbett_auto
Nice pictures. Love the shot with the Camaros in the background.
I wish they were mine. The '69 is a friend of mine (pictured), and his daughter owns the '93. We were waxing and buffing it when I took that shot.
1993 Jeep Cherokee
Old 12-07-2008, 09:41 AM   #12
DBain
CF Enthusiast

Definately cool. Truck doesn't look to bad except the bed. Looks like it'd be a good tire burner. Get yourself a line lock kit, some junk tires, and then break out the camera.

1987 Chevy Scotsdale
350CI TBI 4sp Auto 2WD
2dr Std Cab Short Bed
DBain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 09:54 AM   #13
Olds79
CF Newbie

Being that I will need to replace/rebuild the motor and maybe tranny on the C/10, how much would you estimate the total restoration cost? I know, broad.
1993 Jeep Cherokee
Old 12-07-2008, 04:20 PM   #14
corbett_auto
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olds79
Being that I will need to replace/rebuild the motor and maybe tranny on the C/10, how much would you estimate the total restoration cost? I know, broad.

Yes very broad, mainly because no two people have the same idea about what a restoration is... to some it means a rebuilt engine and a paint job while to others it is sooo much more. Most of our customers fall into the sooo much more category and a typical restoration includes a complete tear down and every part is either rebuild or replaced. This takes around 600 - 1000 hours and $20k - $50k in parts.

So to answer your question.... if you can pull the engine/trans, bring them in to be rebuilt and put them back in..... $2000 - $3500 should take care of the rebuild then add another couple hundred for stuff like filters, plugs, fluid, belts, etc... when you go to put it back in.

Quite a range isn't it $2500 all the way to $100,000. Just sit down and try to determine what it is that you want and how much you want to spend. Then just take it a step at the time. Remember this is your truck (and car) and the ones that want to give you a hard time about the route you take are not helping you pay for it.

Last edited by corbett_auto : 12-07-2008 at 04:27 PM.
corbett_auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 11:41 AM   #15
chris_knows
๑۩۞

LMFAOOO AT SHELLEY MARSH
STAN MARSH THE DARSH lol