Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2008, 07:31 AM   #1
Baldie
CF Newbie

Brake Rotors

How do I know when I need my rotors replaced? What do I need to look for? I know my pads need replacing because they are thin but not sure about my rotors.
Baldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:23 AM   #2
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldie
How do I know when I need my rotors replaced? What do I need to look for? I know my pads need replacing because they are thin but not sure about my rotors.
What car, how many miles.

Look for scoring (grooves) and see if you get vibration under braking, but even then they can often be turned (filed down) to be usable again. Otherwise, a shop would have to measure them with a micrometer and see if they are still within spec.
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:34 AM   #3
Baldie
CF Newbie

Its a 2002 Jaguar X-type w/roughly 78k miles. I had the front rotors/pads replaced at around 45k. I do feel just tiny groove on the outer edge. The brake pads are wearing thin though and definitely need changing. I'm just wondering about the rotors.

Alot of my local shops (pepboys, firestone, etc) advertise $99 brake jobs (parts/labor) but if I need my rotors replaced I know that probably drive my cost up drastically. I usually purchase all my parts online, because I can get OEM parts way cheaper, but I just don't know if my brake pads can wait that long.
Baldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 09:33 PM   #4
DBain
CF Enthusiast

Like what was mentioned before the right way to see how much life your rotors have left is to use a micrometer. Personally I'll have the rotors turned once before replacing them. Probrably could go more but I never have. Assuming there's no bad vibration(rotors aren't warped) you probrably don't need to replace the rotors. But it's not a bad idea. Especially if you'll be getting snow in the next few months, you'll appreciate brand new brake parts.
As far as measuring the rotor thickness, check either your manual or online to find the minimum size your car will accept. When measuring keep in mind what will be shaved off if turned.

1987 Chevy Scotsdale
350CI TBI 4sp Auto 2WD
2dr Std Cab Short Bed
DBain is offline   Reply With Quote