Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2008, 09:16 PM   #1
skyoolie
CF Newbie

1996 Taurus SHO spark plug problems

I have a 1996 Taurus SHO with 80k miles and a a bad spark plug, which of course is in the back. I've talked to a mechanic and he said it would cost about $400 to do it. I don't have that kind of money and the spark plug is killing my gas mileage. So I've decided I'm going to do it myself, but I'm not really sure how. You can't reach the back plugs from the front, and I have heard that you have to disconnect everything and rock the engine forward to get to them. Is there any other way, maybe from the bottom, or just removing a certain part?
skyoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 01:04 AM   #2
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

You really need to post some pics up, every car is different.

I've heard of mechanics saying the motor (and therefore the tranny) has to be pulled out to get at the last 2 plugs on my car. On the other hand, most people are able to disconnect things to get at them and do it in a short afternoon, while others claim to be able to do it in under an hour.

Chances are you can do it without pulling the motor, that would be shitty engineering on Ford's part if you couldn't. Like I said, post pics.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 10:39 PM   #3
cowman85
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyoolie
I have a 1996 Taurus SHO with 80k miles and a a bad spark plug, which of course is in the back. I've talked to a mechanic and he said it would cost about $400 to do it. I don't have that kind of money and the spark plug is killing my gas mileage. So I've decided I'm going to do it myself, but I'm not really sure how. You can't reach the back plugs from the front, and I have heard that you have to disconnect everything and rock the engine forward to get to them. Is there any other way, maybe from the bottom, or just removing a certain part?

That sucks i had the same problem with my 98 malibu, there was no room to work but it had to be done(magnet tool and a mirror saved my life) although some of these oddball 6's have a mechanism to flip the engine up, i dont know the exact details but i imagine that is the case if there is no way to get at it by hand. I really cant see ford building it so you have to pull the tranny and engine, just for spark plugs? i hate ford but i doubt they are that stupid. Check out a haynes manual or maybe talk to some guys at partsource
they should be able to point you in the right direction.

Good Luck
Old 01-16-2009, 04:49 AM   #4
Ronin
CF Newbie

Your SHO v8 engine requires you to remove the intake manifold(s) to access the rear plugs. That engine also has C.O.P. (coil over plug) ignition. I recommend you test and/or replace at least those 4 rear coils at this time. Use a quality platinum plug and you wont need to worry about it for a long time.

Another thing to be aware of! This engine has been known for defective cams that separate from their cam gears, leading to catastrophic engine failure. It needs to have its cam gears welded on to prevent this.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 06:18 AM   #5
Satty101
CF's L body Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin
Your SHO v8 engine requires you to remove the intake manifold(s) to access the rear plugs. That engine also has C.O.P. (coil over plug) ignition. I recommend you test and/or replace at least those 4 rear coils at this time. Use a quality platinum plug and you wont need to worry about it for a long time.

Another thing to be aware of! This engine has been known for defective cams that separate from their cam gears, leading to catastrophic engine failure. It needs to have its cam gears welded on to prevent this.

Do NOT use Platinum plugs. Those things are JUNK. use a brand name plug (Basic) and you should be set. I had platinums in my Camaro and 94 Z26 and I had one pluug in both cars blow itself apart. I will NEVER use platinum plugs. Besides, I saw no better performance out of it and they were a couple bucks more each. Just another way to rip you off IMO.

On the other hand Ronin, you are completely correct on the cams/cam gears. Although I'm not sure if welding them together is the best idea..I just know they have an issue.

1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS (PC'd)
1994 Chevrolet Beretta Z26 Q4 (W41 M90'd)
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 (4WD)

My wife's cars:

1971 Dodge Charger SE (stock and original 383 auto)
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX (kid-hauler)
Satty101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 02:20 AM   #6
Ronin
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satty101
Do NOT use Platinum plugs. Those things are JUNK. use a brand name plug (Basic) and you should be set. I had platinums in my Camaro and 94 Z26 and I had one pluug in both cars blow itself apart. I will NEVER use platinum plugs. Besides, I saw no better performance out of it and they were a couple bucks more each. Just another way to rip you off IMO.

On the other hand Ronin, you are completely correct on the cams/cam gears. Although I'm not sure if welding them together is the best idea..I just know they have an issue.
You can use regular plugs if you dont mind taking off your manifolds every 20k miles. The factory installed platinums and they last 100k. Its not about power, its durability.
Most people dont know your not supposed to re-gap platinum plugs, usually why they "blow apart" or foul.

And I AM sure welding is the best idea. but then again, you havent told us how you have done it...........
i
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 05:16 AM   #7
Satty101
CF's L body Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin
You can use regular plugs if you dont mind taking off your manifolds every 20k miles. The factory installed platinums and they last 100k. Its not about power, its durability.
Most people dont know your not supposed to re-gap platinum plugs, usually why they "blow apart" or foul.

And I AM sure welding is the best idea. but then again, you havent told us how you have done it...........
i

I'm not saying I've done work on these cars before. I NEVER said that. And I've never done one..That's why I said I'm not sure if it's the best idea.

Oh, and I didn't re-gap my plugs either. I did nothing to them except check to make sure they were the right ones (Length, with, etc), put some anti-seize on the threads, put them in, and put the plug wire on.

There's no point in getting into a hissy fit over my opinion. I was simply throwing in my and stating experiences I've had. Chill out.

1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS (PC'd)
1994 Chevrolet Beretta Z26 Q4 (W41 M90'd)
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 (4WD)

My wife's cars:

1971 Dodge Charger SE (stock and original 383 auto)
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX (kid-hauler)
Satty101 is offline   Reply With Quote