Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2009, 07:36 AM   #1
Satty101
CF's L body Freak

Body work help

Ok, so I know my engine work. When it comes to body work, I'm a complete n00b. I got into an accident with my 95 Z26 (not my fault) and was wondering what's the best way to straighten my body out without taking it to a bodyshop to have it straightened (I HATE having other people work on my cars). Here's some pics to let you know what I'm dealing with.

Evap canister hole. Looks much better now than before, but still not good.

I need to know how to straighten the upper radiator support (Pounded it back for the most part, but the inner fender well is still pushing against my radiator towards the drivers side of the car), Evap canister hole needs to be a circle again, and the bumper supports need to be straight again. I've had people tell me to drill out the spot welds and get a new front clip, but I don't have 220 power in my garage to run a welder. Any advice?

1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS (PC'd)
1994 Chevrolet Beretta Z26 Q4 (W41 M90'd)
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 (4WD)

My wife's cars:

1971 Dodge Charger SE (stock and original 383 auto)
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX (kid-hauler)
Satty101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 04:09 PM   #2
corbett_auto
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satty101
I need to know how to straighten the upper radiator support (Pounded it back for the most part, but the inner fender well is still pushing against my radiator to wards the drivers side of the car), Evap canister hole needs to be a circle again, and the bumper supports need to be straight again. I've had people tell me to drill out the spot welds and get a new front clip, but I don't have 220 power in my garage to run a welder. Any advice?

It is hard to give exact directions just looking at pictures, but here is some basic advise. In general if you decide to pull it out try to look over the damage and pull in the opposite direction of the impact. Fancy frame machines are nice, but we have been very creative over the years during times when the situation keep us from putting it on a frame rack.

Now to hit (no pun intended) on the welding thoughts..... As long as you use standard welding practices a 110V - 100amp welder with a shielding gas. There is no reason you can not cut it apart and weld it back together.

Hopefully this helps a little.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:39 AM   #3
Wally
I Know More Than You

110 volts!

You American's sure got the short end of the stick when it comes to half measures:- low voltage, poor TV resolution, a clayton's gallon, second rate cellular phones, low quality cars, Irish migrants, Jewish judiciary, a sham political system, .......... no wonder the POMs walked away and left you to it in 1787.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:31 AM   #4
corbett_auto
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
110 volts!

You American's sure got the short end of the stick when it comes to half measures:- low voltage, poor TV resolution, a clayton's gallon, second rate cellular phones, low quality cars, Irish migrants, Jewish judiciary, a sham political system, .......... no wonder the POMs walked away and left you to it in 1787.

Next time try not to sugar coat it!!!
Old 01-07-2009, 06:17 AM   #5
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
110 volts!

I hear a lot of you people wear cowboy hats?