Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2008, 05:13 PM   #1
TLChilds
CF Newbie

a/c compressor in 97 Saturn SL2

i was told a few months ago by a mechanic that they thought the compressor in my 97 saturn sl2 was about to go out. i had not done anything with it and now there is a very loud rattling constantly going on by the belt on the compressor whenever the car is running. i believe this may be the a/c clutch? the a/c still works although i'm not needing it right now in this weather but knowing that the cost is $1000 or more for replacing i'd like to know what happens if i don't do anything with it. will it just keep rattling or will it stop? someone told me it could lock up and then the belt would stop turning and my car would overheat and no power steering with various other issues but that it could also just stop working and nothing happen. it's likely to be 3 or 4 months before i can get this compressor replaced - i'm looking for advice or information on what will happen if i don't do anything..
TLChilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 09:47 PM   #2
DBain
CF Enthusiast

Happened to a friend of mine on a dodge ram. Clutch siezed up stopped and the belt and he was stuck on the highway dead towing a trailer full of harley's. Couldn't find a belt w/o AC or just a pulley to replace the whole compressor. Ended up buying on out of a junk yard.

1987 Chevy Scotsdale
350CI TBI 4sp Auto 2WD
2dr Std Cab Short Bed
DBain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 10:56 PM   #3
Satty101
CF's L body Freak

What engine is in it? Do you absolutely need to have AC? Mine is doing the same thing in my 95 Chevy Beretta with the 3.1L V6. It's a VERY common problem on GM vehicles. What you can do is either get the compressor replaced if you need AC, or if you can go without AC check out these:

Dorman AC eliminator pulleys. I'm getting one for mine. Not bad considering itll use the stock belt and such.
http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...=KeywordSearch

Find your engine size and there you go.

HOWEVER, if you do continue to drive on it the way it is now, you run a serious risk of the belt not powering the water pump, alternator, Power steering, etc.

1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS (PC'd)
1994 Chevrolet Beretta Z26 Q4 (W41 M90'd)
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 (4WD)

My wife's cars:

1971 Dodge Charger SE (stock and original 383 auto)
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX (kid-hauler)
Satty101 is offline   Reply With Quote