Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2008, 01:18 PM   #1
seanr1972
CF Newbie

Battery or starter...please help

just got in the car today at 5am and the 2004 beetle would not start it soounded like it was ging to but then it just went click click click, and all the dashboard icons flashed
......do you think I need a new battery or starter, the car was leaking quite a bit do to the amount of rain we have been having here in Florida but not sure if that is what caused it...thanks so much Sean
seanr1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 03:04 PM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanr1972
just got in the car today at 5am and the 2004 beetle would not start it soounded like it was ging to but then it just went click click click, and all the dashboard icons flashed
......do you think I need a new battery or starter, the car was leaking quite a bit do to the amount of rain we have been having here in Florida but not sure if that is what caused it...thanks so much Sean
Not sure if you'll find anyone on this forum with a crystal ball. But I'm sure you'll find plenty of people on this and/or other forums who want you to think they can diagnose your problem with the meager information provided.

My BEWAG would be to say it's the battery, simply due to age if it's the original. That being said, since we don't know anything else about the car, and are obviously unable to perform any tests, there are several possibilities.

So you really have two choices. Start replacing parts until your car starts or pay someone who is qualified to make the determination to repair it.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 07:48 AM   #3
DBain
CF Enthusiast

Did you try jump starting it? Or if that doesn't work try jumping the solenoid.

1987 Chevy Scotsdale
350CI TBI 4sp Auto 2WD
2dr Std Cab Short Bed
DBain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 04:47 AM   #4
engineer
CF Newbie

do the headlights come on?

If the headlights come on bright, it may not be the battery. do the lights dim when the key is turned to "start". If , it coud be the battery. If you jump start it, and the car starts right away, try a battery. good luck.
engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 02:22 PM   #5
roland_1234
CF Newbie

I had similar problems with my 96 Neon. The battery cable were corroded right down to the starter. I replaced the cables and never had a problem since.
roland_1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 01:07 AM   #6
Rob`
CF Newbie

I had this problem with my 93 eagle talon.

All your interior lights, headlights, windows etc will work correct? The car just wont start?

After all of this, the problem turned out to be my alternator.

You can do a simple test and lift one of the wires, red perhaps, off of the battery post. Do this while the cars running and make sure you use something rubber so you don't zap yourself. If your car stalls immediately, than you most likely need to purchase a new alternator.

You could also try charging your battery, but if your battery is dead and you left nothing on (Lights etc) than your car is most likely running off of your battery and your battery only.

Note: Do not keep charging your battery to drive it place to place because you will end up having to purchase a new battery as well.

If none of that helps than i'm sorry and i have no idea what you can do next.
Rob` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 09:58 PM   #7
DBain
CF Enthusiast

You're brilliant. Maybe your advice might've been helpful back in september?

1987 Chevy Scotsdale
350CI TBI 4sp Auto 2WD
2dr Std Cab Short Bed
DBain is offline   Reply With Quote