Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2008, 09:14 PM   #16
jWESTFOO
CF Newbie

For the record. I dont even have a 350Z. I was just wondering, cause I was looking to upgrade soon.
jWESTFOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 09:33 PM   #17
fudge
let's fighting love

For the price of a turbo upgrade, I would have put a decent bodykit and nice wheels to match. The money leftover would be used for fuel and tyres.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:59 AM   #18
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jWESTFOO
For the record. I dont even have a 350Z. I was just wondering, cause I was looking to upgrade soon.
What do you have now?
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 09:48 AM   #19
jWESTFOO
CF Newbie

I'm driving an 01 Civic. It's an automatic, not producing alot of power, and apperently not easy to find mods for.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:04 PM   #20
EPerkins
CF Newbie

Quote:
For the price of a turbo upgrade, I would have put a decent bodykit and nice wheels to match. The money leftover would be used for fuel and tyres.

See: Definition of "rice"
EPerkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 11:42 PM   #21
Satty101
CF's L body Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPerkins
See: Definition of "rice"

R.I.C.E.

Race
Inspired
Cosmetic
Enhancements

Very commonly misused.

1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS (PC'd)
1994 Chevrolet Beretta Z26 Q4 (W41 M90'd)
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 (4WD)

My wife's cars:

1971 Dodge Charger SE (stock and original 383 auto)
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX (kid-hauler)
Satty101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 05:29 PM   #22
EPerkins
CF Newbie

Yeah I mean I have nothing against body kits and rims without enhancing performance because I mean its your personal choice. Some people just want their car to look nice and don't care if it's fast or not. But I didn't see how fudge's post would help considering he has stated that he wants more hp and is unhappy with his lack of power in his honda... meaning he wants something to be performance oriented.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:33 PM   #23
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
I'm driving an 01 Civic. It's an automatic, not producing alot of power, and apperently not easy to find mods for.
Oh I remember now, I was the one that told you not to mod it . Lots of people on this site come and go so I forget who is actually a returning member or not.

Don't get involved with anything too serious, coming from that civic to a 350z stock will be a huge leap in every way, you don't want to throw boost at it not knowing what you are doing as a tuner.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:04 PM   #24
fudge
let's fighting love

Quote:
Yeah I mean I have nothing against body kits and rims without enhancing performance because I mean its your personal choice. Some people just want their car to look nice and don't care if it's fast or not. But I didn't see how fudge's post would help considering he has stated that he wants more hp and is unhappy with his lack of power in his honda... meaning he wants something to be performance oriented.

Hmmm.... In case you didn't know the 350Z has nearly 3 times as much horsepower and torque as his old Civic stock. But being on these forums long enough, I seriously doubt he'll be able to afford one let alone be able to modify one if he does get one. Wanting to turbocharge a 350Z without having a clue about how turbochargers work is asking for trouble.

Judging from your posts, you're just like most other DSM fanboys who come on here with the "anti-ricer" attitude. Thing is most people here have gotten over the rice and Honda bashing and are just being realistic.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:16 PM   #25
EPerkins
CF Newbie

I don't know if I have to requote myself or not but Im pretty sure that I already said that I understand that some people go for looks and not performance. I wasn't "ricebashing" I was simply stating that this guy seems like he is more performance oriented when it comes to a future vehicle. And yes I am aware of the 350z's specs compared to his honda. However, if he was happy with the 350z's stock hp, then why would he post this thread??
Old 12-09-2008, 11:28 PM   #26
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
I don't know if I have to requote myself or not but Im pretty sure that I already said that I understand that some people go for looks and not performance. I wasn't "ricebashing" I was simply stating that this guy seems like he is more performance oriented when it comes to a future vehicle. And yes I am aware of the 350z's specs compared to his honda. However, if he was happy with the 350z's stock hp, then why would he post this thread??
Cause he wanted a price quote for a turbo whistle...duh

Old 12-10-2008, 08:58 AM   #27
jWESTFOO
CF Newbie

Ahhhh! It has nothing to do with the whistle. And for the record, this is well within my price range with my new job. Money is not the issue. Neither is the noise that the turbo produces. I was simply interested in a price quote, like newyorker said. I've had my Civic for a few years now and have wanted to mod it for a while but havnt had the money. Since I learned that it is not easily moded, I was looking for an alternative. I realize Ive got some stuff to learn as a tuner, but being a mechanical engineer, I'm not completely ignorant when it comes to cars.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:51 AM   #28
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Ahhhh! It has nothing to do with the whistle. And for the record, this is well within my price range with my new job. Money is not the issue. Neither is the noise that the turbo produces. I was simply interested in a price quote, like newyorker said. I've had my Civic for a few years now and have wanted to mod it for a while but havnt had the money. Since I learned that it is not easily moded, I was looking for an alternative. I realize Ive got some stuff to learn as a tuner, but being a mechanical engineer, I'm not completely ignorant when it comes to cars.
I was just kidding about the whistle . Trust me, I have a turbo car and if anything it just gets annoying really quickly, I'm running a recirculated system and its still loud as hell for my taste.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:16 AM   #29
Spanky2324
JDM LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
I was just kidding about the whistle . Trust me, I have a turbo car and if anything it just gets annoying really quickly, I'm running a recirculated system and its still loud as hell for my taste.
I personally love the sound of my turbo and it'll be even louder with the aluminum piping from the front mount intercooler I ordered.

92% of teens moved on to rap music.
If you're part of the 8% that rock out everyday, put this in your signature

Owning a DSM is like having retarded kids. You get angered and frustrated by them yet you love them to death.
Spanky2324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 10:36 AM   #30
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Quote:
A mechanical engineer should know that adding power to a system, no matter how it's added (cams,heads, etc for N/A, turbo/supercharger, nitrous, etc) is never a simple task if you want to keep reliability. A ME should know that things like engines and transmissions are rarely over-engineered enough to the point where you can add 25%+ more power without having to upgrade everything else to be able to handle that extra power.

In all the classes you would have had to take that deal with turbines, and then all of the fluid dynamics classes that deal with increasing pressures, to all of the design/marketing classes where you would have learned that unless you're working for Rolls Royce you would have no need to over-engineer the pistons, sleeves, rods, etc to be able to handle excessively more power than the engine puts out from the factory. It raises the price and the weight. Further, in the real world things are designed to fail.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote