Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2008, 12:39 AM   #1
stevewiffer
CF Newbie

Looking for more acceleration.

My 1992 civic hatchback has a 1.4L 16valve engine. I love this car, but it's really slow...especially off the line. Once it gets into higher rpm ranges it's not so bad. So I'm wanting something to give me a little more torque, or acceleration.

My first thought would be a lightweight flywheel. Maybe open everything up with some new headers and exhaust? I've also heard that higher compression pistons will give me more acceleration, but i always thought those were just for turbo setups. That's really all i could come up with. What else could i do to increase acceleration? Any advice would be appreciated.

-Steve
stevewiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 08:41 AM   #2
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewiffer
My 1992 civic hatchback has a 1.4L 16valve engine. I love this car, but it's really slow...especially off the line. Once it gets into higher rpm ranges it's not so bad. So I'm wanting something to give me a little more torque, or acceleration.

My first thought would be a lightweight flywheel. Maybe open everything up with some new headers and exhaust? I've also heard that higher compression pistons will give me more acceleration, but i always thought those were just for turbo setups. That's really all i could come up with. What else could i do to increase acceleration? Any advice would be appreciated.

-Steve
Good luck getting torque from that 1.4 without some intense work.

a. lightweight flywheel will help but I don't recomend them for daily driven cars, will take you a while to get used to and will eat up your stock clutch faster as well as burn more gas.
b. your car has a header, not headers.
c. exhaust will be loud and not all too beneficial
d. lower compression pistons are used on turbo setups
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 03:35 PM   #3
stevewiffer
CF Newbie

ha.... Alright then. Would any of the affordable engine swaps give me noticeable gains? Maybe a b16?
Old 10-03-2008, 05:40 PM   #4
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
ha.... Alright then. Would any of the affordable engine swaps give me noticeable gains? Maybe a b16?
A swap for you is the way to go, but I dont know what it will cost you (havent dealt with hondas for a while).

I would say go for a B18, a B16 is just not too great a motor...well no it is but the B18 is easier to get power from.

Where are you located?

Old 10-03-2008, 06:06 PM   #5
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

D series power all the way
Old 10-03-2008, 07:04 PM   #6
stevewiffer
CF Newbie

I'm located in the Dallas-fort worth area. I have a d series right now...are there more powerful d series? A b18 wouldn't be to expensive. I'm thinking around 3-4k depending on my luck. I really don't know though.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:18 PM   #7
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
I'm located in the Dallas-fort worth area. I have a d series right now...are there more powerful d series? A b18 wouldn't be to expensive. I'm thinking around 3-4k depending on my luck. I really don't know though.
I thought your car had a 1.6 stock, not a 1.4...weird.

H22 swap. You will love it...if you have the money, do an H2B swap, google it, your car will be running low 13 second quarters with just the swap (not sure on numbers thats what i was told)

Old 10-04-2008, 07:07 AM   #8
stevewiffer
CF Newbie

The H2B swap looks great. Seems easier to mount than the h22. But i'm a huge newb to the car scene, and there seems to be a lot of custom work involved in getting the h2b in the car with no problems(i.e. frame rail banging, oil-pan angles, etc.) But I figure by the time im done doing all of the research that i'll have enough money to buy the thing.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:09 AM   #9
stevewiffer
CF Newbie

Oh, and the stock engine may be a 1.6... but my dad had the engine swapped a while back, not for performance but just because something was wrong with the stock engine. Not exactly sure what's in it now, but i did find out it's actually a 1.5L(random?) not a 1.4L. Either way its slow.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:35 AM   #10
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Oh, and the stock engine may be a 1.6... but my dad had the engine swapped a while back, not for performance but just because something was wrong with the stock engine. Not exactly sure what's in it now, but i did find out it's actually a 1.5L(random?) not a 1.4L. Either way its slow.
haha yea but dont worry, the 1.6 wasnt much faster.

Just swap a B or an H series in there, or an H2B, you will love every minute of it. Do suspension and brake mods to go with the extra power and have fun.

Old 10-04-2008, 08:27 AM   #11
stevewiffer
CF Newbie

cool, thanks for your help.

-steve
Old 10-05-2008, 11:19 PM   #12
DBain
CF Enthusiast

I've got a B18B1 in my integra. Goes alright with the intake. I've driven a B18C1 and it was a bit faster, never been in a B18C5 though.
I have however been in a civic with an H22A. Fully reccomend it. The car screamed compared to any other honda I've been in. The motor ended up blowing up. Went through a big puddle with an iceman intake, sent a rod right through.
If you have the option I'd reccomend the H22 as well, but the B18s are pretty decent engines. I've had very little trouble with mine in the 90,000mi I've owned it.

1987 Chevy Scotsdale
350CI TBI 4sp Auto 2WD
2dr Std Cab Short Bed
DBain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 10:47 AM   #13
newyorker
MXman

Someone correct me if I am wrong but doesn't the H22 motor have the most torque of any other Honda 4cyl engine?

Definately go for an H22, buy the motor and trans, mounts from hasport, axles (or you might not even need them), and youll have to do a bit of trimming around the shifter area.

My friend has an EG that he bought as an automatic (coupe) and is now running a h22 with full boltons and Hondata S200 or S200, whatever they use. I can find out more info about the swap from him if you are interested, and he is actually selling the car if you want to buy one thats already done.

Old 10-07-2008, 04:46 AM   #14
stevewiffer
CF Newbie

yeah, im definitely going with the h22/h2b. Any info that you can give me on the swap would be awesome, considering I'm pretty novice.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:04 AM   #15
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
yeah, im definitely going with the h22/h2b. Any info that you can give me on the swap would be awesome, considering I'm pretty novice.
Where are you located?? If you are semi-local to me, I can source you most of the needed swap parts including the motor used for cheap.

edit: be aware that just the h2b kit is around 1600 last I checked, and youll still need an h22 motor and b series tranny. Stick with an H22 swap youll be happy as it is.