Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2008, 01:00 AM   #1
infamous
CF Newbie

Good Car For $3000

What is a good reliable car that i can get for around $3000? i would prefer a civic but im not sure i can get one for that low in good shape. I was also looking at an eclipse but wasnt sure if it was a reliable car.

i am open to any suggestions..

btw, i am more interested in cars that will be reliable that wont brake down on me and i wont have to often repair, and how it looks.. i could really careless about speed.
infamous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 04:10 PM   #2
corbett_auto
CF Addict

Every might have there favorite, so here's my

No particular order:
  • Civic
  • Tercel
  • Corolla
  • Sentre

My advise is to stay away from any car that some may think are fast, such as the Eclipse. They tend to get driven hard by their previous owners. You really shouldn't have a problem finding a $3000 car. Unless you are shopping lots. The best deals on these sorts of cars are found in front yards with a "4-Sale" sign on the windshield.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:58 PM   #3
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Unfortunately, any car can break, and cheap cars are more likely to. I had a cheap Civic that cost an arm and a leg to keep running, while also having an even cheaper Chevy Citation that went over 300k miles with almost no cost at all (just gas and the occasional, and I do mean occasional, oil change). you can scope out a car and carfax it, and have a mechanic check it over, but still have a catastrophic breakdown the following week.

And of course, geographic location will have a lot to do with it. In the midwest and northeast, cheap cars will tend to be weathered and very likely rusty, needing repairs to the undercarriage way before the engines and trans wear out, while on the west coast and in the southwest, they are more likely to wear out mechanically long before they rust away.

Where are you located? That will make a big difference on what is available in that price range.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 12:41 AM   #4
infamous
CF Newbie

im located in Los angeles.. sometimes im in inglewood.. sometimes in dowtown..

what are your guys thoughts on purchasing a car at an auction?
Old 01-04-2009, 05:55 AM   #5
corbett_auto
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by infamous
im located in Los angeles.. sometimes im in inglewood.. sometimes in dowtown..

what are your guys thoughts on purchasing a car at an auction?

I would not recommend an Auction.... You do not have nearly enough time to make an accurate assessment of the car. Also, most of the auctions that allow non-dealers do not have deals any better than you can find looking through your local classifieds.

Have you looked through the local free classifieds? What about craigslist? I see cars listed all the time for $1000. Any car with some age is prone to break down..... the less you pay for it the more you will have for the repairs if the arise.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:56 AM   #6
infamous
CF Newbie

yeah ive been lookng through craigslist and autotrader..

what about mileage? ive heard anything over 100,000 miles is too much.. is this accurate ?
Old 01-07-2009, 04:36 PM   #7
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by infamous
what about mileage? ive heard anything over 100,000 miles is too much.. is this accurate ?

In your price range, it'll be pretty much the only choice. And with modern cars, 100k miles isn't even halfway through the useable lifespan. Hell, the '98 BMW 740iL I bought as a daily driver 2 years ago had 143k miles on it when I bought it, and has 166k miles on it now... Don't worry about the mileage, only how well it was maintained.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote