Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-18-2008, 07:09 AM   #1
oceanb70
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6
Good car to drive at Tucson?

Hi,

I am a asian and moving to USA soon for work commitment. Due to the different culture, i am not sure what car to buy in USA. There are many brand that i have not seen before.

I am looking for used car. Maybe you guy can advice me better on what to look out.

I am open to all suggestion
oceanb70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 12:39 AM   #2
newyorker
MXman
 
newyorker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,291
Lots of stuff to pick from depending on what you want and how much money you have to spend.

Welcome to America.
__________________
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 05:56 PM   #3
dvdrose18
CF's resident Nurse
 
dvdrose18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Northeastern NJ Needs: A Life
Posts: 513
What are you looking for from this car? price? size? efficiency? performance? status? reliability? cargo room? comfort? Give us an idea of what you are looking for.
__________________
dvdrose18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 11:59 AM   #4
oceanb70
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdrose18
What are you looking for from this car? price? size? efficiency? performance? status? reliability? cargo room? comfort? Give us an idea of what you are looking for.

Price = preferably less than $8k
Size = enough for 2 person but ideally 4 person.
efficiency = good enough for me to travel for long and short distances
Performance = I believe should be at least 2.0L car
Status = looking for used car as i got low budget but looking for not older than Yr 2000 and not more than 70k of mileage
Cargo room = what does that mean?
Comfort = Good if i can go for comfort car like BMW but i am afraid that the maintenance part will kill me.
oceanb70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 06:17 PM   #5
dvdrose18
CF's resident Nurse
 
dvdrose18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Northeastern NJ Needs: A Life
Posts: 513
Cargo room= place for luggage
Unless you will need a lot of cargo room, you are probably looking at a mid-size sedan. choices include things like:
Honda Civic or Accord
Ford Focus
Toyota Camry
Chevrolet Malibu
Dodge Neon or Stratus
Pontiac Grand Am
Hyundai Sonata
VW Passat or Jeta
Saturn Ion

And the list goes on.

For $8k and reliability you are probably looking at a 2004-2006 model, depending on the make. Domestic cars are cheeper around here, but Imports tend to be more reliable. So you could get a 2006 Ford or Chevy for the same price as a 2004 Honda or Toyota.
On the other hand, if you want more of a status car, you will be probably looking at a 2000-2004, but reliability will suffer.
__________________
dvdrose18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 07:30 PM   #6
oceanb70
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdrose18
Cargo room= place for luggage
Unless you will need a lot of cargo room, you are probably looking at a mid-size sedan. choices include things like:
Honda Civic or Accord
Ford Focus
Toyota Camry
Chevrolet Malibu
Dodge Neon or Stratus
Pontiac Grand Am
Hyundai Sonata
VW Passat or Jeta
Saturn Ion

And the list goes on.

For $8k and reliability you are probably looking at a 2004-2006 model, depending on the make. Domestic cars are cheeper around here, but Imports tend to be more reliable. So you could get a 2006 Ford or Chevy for the same price as a 2004 Honda or Toyota.
On the other hand, if you want more of a status car, you will be probably looking at a 2000-2004, but reliability will suffer.

thanks for your comprehensive answer!!!

But i must say that i'm not very well verse in car, therefore alot of term i won't know and would like to clarify with you.

What is Domestics car? Status Car?

and also, to find a 2004 Honda Accord.. it will easily cost $13k based on cars.com

I saw a BMW 300series selling at $8k++. it is worth buying?
oceanb70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 06:06 PM   #7
dvdrose18
CF's resident Nurse
 
dvdrose18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Northeastern NJ Needs: A Life
Posts: 513
By a domestic car I mean a car from an American company: Dodge, Ford, and GM, and their subsidiaries.

By a status car, I mean a car with a name or reputation attached to it, like Cadillac, Jaguar, Mercedes, etc. Cars like this tend to cost more than they are really worth, just for the name.

Luxury cars, like BMW, tend to be expensive to repair and maintain, especially if you have to take them to the dealer or authorized repair facility.

As far as the Accord costing 13K, I am a little surprised, but I probably shouldn't be. It depends a lot on the style and miles though. If you are shopping dealers, that is probably about what you will pay, however, if you are willing to buy from a private seller, or search the back lots of dealers, you could probably find a descent one for 9K
__________________
dvdrose18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 06:47 PM   #8
oceanb70
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdrose18
By a domestic car I mean a car from an American company: Dodge, Ford, and GM, and their subsidiaries.

By a status car, I mean a car with a name or reputation attached to it, like Cadillac, Jaguar, Mercedes, etc. Cars like this tend to cost more than they are really worth, just for the name.

Luxury cars, like BMW, tend to be expensive to repair and maintain, especially if you have to take them to the dealer or authorized repair facility.

As far as the Accord costing 13K, I am a little surprised, but I probably shouldn't be. It depends a lot on the style and miles though. If you are shopping dealers, that is probably about what you will pay, however, if you are willing to buy from a private seller, or search the back lots of dealers, you could probably find a descent one for 9K

Thanks.. any website recommend for used car sales?? currently i am looking into craigslist.org
oceanb70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 07:09 PM   #9
dvdrose18
CF's resident Nurse
 
dvdrose18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Northeastern NJ Needs: A Life
Posts: 513
I was never a fan of shopping for cars online, so I don't know which sites are good, maybe someone else can help you out with that.
__________________
dvdrose18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 01:17 AM   #10
chris_knows
๑۩۞
 
chris_knows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada Status:Trying to find my ish
Posts: 7,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanb70
Thanks.. any website recommend for used car sales?? currently i am looking into craigslist.org
Check out:

http://autotrader.com
http://cars.com
and http://tucson.kijiji.com/ (it's pretty much like craigslist)
__________________
chris_knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 02:24 PM   #11
oceanb70
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdrose18
I was never a fan of shopping for cars online, so I don't know which sites are good, maybe someone else can help you out with that.

then how do you find private seller?
oceanb70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 02:25 PM   #12
oceanb70
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
Check out:

http://autotrader.com
http://cars.com
and http://tucson.kijiji.com/ (it's pretty much like craigslist)

thanks... out of this three url... only one i don't know.. thanks for sharing
oceanb70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:21 PM   #13
dvdrose18
CF's resident Nurse
 
dvdrose18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Northeastern NJ Needs: A Life
Posts: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanb70
then how do you find private seller?
Most of those sites are online classified ads for private sellers. There is also the local newspaper's classified section, word of mouth, and cars parked on the side of the road with for sale signs...
__________________
dvdrose18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.