Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2009, 08:23 PM   #1
cowman85
CF Newbie

350 parts swap 80's chev truck

I am looking to swap parts from my 350 for parts out of say a corvette or RV engine etc to increase acceleration, efficiency and gas mileage, the most I will be pulling is a tent trailer but I want speed.

I know there are many parts you can just switch over from bigger engines for performance I just dont know what they are.

My 350 is either an LS9 or a LT9 (VIN code says L), I have a 400 transmission in right now but will be switching to a 700r4 later.

These engines will be out of the wreckers so these parts will be used, therefore engine codes etc will need to be known/researched, this is a side project so I am not worried about brand new parts unless the price difference is minimal.

also looking to upgrade the alternator, is there a higher amperage in a different V8 that I could just swap over?
thank you for your time

Last edited by cowman85 : 01-11-2009 at 07:41 AM.
cowman85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:03 PM   #2
corbett_auto
CF Addict

the practice of swapping in parts from a High Performance car use to be a good way to add a moderate amount of power to a low performance model. But this is no longer the best way to go about it. You will end up with better performance and most likely spend less time (and possibly money) by just buying the parts new off the shelf from places like Summit, jegs, etc.....

The first thing you need to do is decide what you are wanting to do. Add more power for pulling, more acceleration, etc... Then figure out how much you are wanting to spend. Then look through a few catalogs, talk to your machine shop and develop a good game plan.

Many manufacturers have even come up with a kit of parts designed to work together and to fit many budgets. The simple ones include just a few parts like: carb, intake & cam shaft...... the higher priced ones goes as far as including: cranks, heads, fuel injection and more.

And one final thing to consider is the convenience of a create engine. These have been designed by "gurus" and you know exactly the performance you are getting (i.e. HP, torque, etc). Many even come as turn key and include carb, starter, distributor and all.

Hope this helps. If you are set on using parts from another engine thats cool, too. Feel us in a little on the plan and what you are doing and I'm sure someone here can help figure the way to best go about it.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:16 AM   #3
cowman85
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbett_auto
the practice of swapping in parts from a High Performance car use to be a good way to add a moderate amount of power to a low performance model. But this is no longer the best way to go about it. You will end up with better performance and most likely spend less time (and possibly money) by just buying the parts new off the shelf from places like Summit, jegs, etc.....

The first thing you need to do is decide what you are wanting to do. Add more power for pulling, more acceleration, etc... Then figure out how much you are wanting to spend. Then look through a few catalogs, talk to your machine shop and develop a good game plan.

Many manufacturers have even come up with a kit of parts designed to work together and to fit many budgets. The simple ones include just a few parts like: carb, intake & cam shaft...... the higher priced ones goes as far as including: cranks, heads, fuel injection and more.

And one final thing to consider is the convenience of a create engine. These have been designed by "gurus" and you know exactly the performance you are getting (i.e. HP, torque, etc). Many even come as turn key and include carb, starter, distributor and all.

Hope this helps. If you are set on using parts from another engine thats cool, too. Feel us in a little on the plan and what you are doing and I'm sure someone here can help figure the way to best go about it.

I am just looking to throw some used parts in for now. I want to learn what will swap onto a 350 that is of higher performance that I can just pull from a wrecker yard from maybe a vette or a 1 ton. I want to increase speed, get better mileage and run more efficiently.