Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2009, 04:49 PM   #1
jeremyp89
CF Newbie

Cool converting to a automatic to manual tranny

hi i just bought a 2004 nissan maxima v6 with 94,ooo miles on it. i love everything about the car. except the fact that it is a automatic.
i was wondering if it would be worth the money and the time to to convert it to a manual 5 speed maybe even a 6 speed transmission?

i was also wondering what parts i would need and if you new a estimate on how much it costs

thanks what do you think i should do
jeremyp89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 05:04 PM   #2
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyp89
hi i just bought a 2004 nissan maxima v6 with 94,ooo miles on it. i love everything about the car. except the fact that it is a automatic.
i was wondering if it would be worth the money and the time to to convert it to a manual 5 speed maybe even a 6 speed transmission?

i was also wondering what parts i would need and if you new a estimate on how much it costs

thanks what do you think i should do
The 04 Maxima SE (vq35 motor) came with a 6-speed transmission. I know a few guys who have done the swaps as well as many other Maxima projects including swaps, turbos, superchargers, nitrous, all motor, and any combination of the above.

The swap can be done but most times it's easier to sell the car and just buy a manual one. Visit www.maxima.org and www.nycmaximas.com they are 2 good sites. Try to find someone local to help you with it. You have a hidden treasure, these cars can be SERIOUSLY quick, my buddy has a 6thgen like yours with intake, and a throttle body spacer, and I believe headers, and he ran a 13.8

My advice: Find one already on a manual and save yourself the hassle.
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 11:23 PM   #3
corbett_auto
CF Addict

I agree. On the surface it may seem like a cut and dry way to go, but once you get into it you will find many little things that need changing here and there.

Heck if you look hard enough you may even find someone in the opposite position as you wishing they had an automatic. Worth a shot.