Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2009, 04:29 PM   #1
sa22ie
CF Newbie

Unhappy !!!HELP!!!! It can't just be my bad driving?!

Hi, I need some advice on a long running problem with my car. Ford Fiesta Encore 1.3i 1996.

This problem has been coming and going over the years and hasn't happened in the last 2 years or so until now.

Basically as you are traveling at speed and then slow, when you press the clutch in the car stalls even if you're still moving at 20mph+ like the idle speed drops too far yet when the car is stationary it's ok. I tested how extreme it was recently and when on a quiet dual carriageway at 70mph pressed the clutch right to the floor, and sure enough at 70mph the car stalls... I've just been putting up with it though I have mentioned it when its been to the garage and they don't seem to be able to spot it. Anyone else had the same problem or know how I might be able to fix it.

P.S please write the answer in layman's terms as I'm not so clued up. (as you can probably tell.

Thanx
sa22ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:19 AM   #2
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa22ie
Hi, I need some advice on a long running problem with my car. Ford Fiesta Encore 1.3i 1996.

This problem has been coming and going over the years and hasn't happened in the last 2 years or so until now.

Basically as you are traveling at speed and then slow, when you press the clutch in the car stalls even if you're still moving at 20mph+ like the idle speed drops too far yet when the car is stationary it's ok. I tested how extreme it was recently and when on a quiet dual carriageway at 70mph pressed the clutch right to the floor, and sure enough at 70mph the car stalls... I've just been putting up with it though I have mentioned it when its been to the garage and they don't seem to be able to spot it. Anyone else had the same problem or know how I might be able to fix it.

P.S please write the answer in layman's terms as I'm not so clued up. (as you can probably tell.

Thanx
Well, how fast you're going when the car stalls is irelavent really, because when you press the clutch pedal in you're in neutral. Basically that shouldn't give cause for concern regarding the speeds it happens at, if of cause you were concerned, lol. The only reason it could happen more frequently at higher speeds would be because your dropping from much higher revs than you would be at a much slower speed (4,000rpm @ 70mph?)...say, 30mph (@ around 1,500rpm).

Does the car idle okay from initial start-up, and/or when warm? Or is it more serious? Could be the idle control valve or similar, I know the old Ford engines are renound for such faults. Mainly the 1.3-litre 8-valve engine in your car, so it might be worth checking out with a garage. Could be something possibly more simple, like an air leak.

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 05:08 AM   #3
xsicdn
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa22ie

Congratulations for keeping a Fiesta running for over 12 years. Maybe your car is trying to tell you that it's ready to go to that great big parking lot in the sky.

I really wish I could help you, but my experience with a 1996 Fiesta was short lived. Soon after the warranty expired, my Fiesta tried to kill me and my GF by seizing the left CV joint and pulling me across the centre line of an 80 Km/h 2 lane highway. Luckily nobody was coming in the other direction at the time. I fought against it all the way to the closest city where I left it at a Ford dealership and continued my trip home in a brand new Subaru.
xsicdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:44 PM   #4
karburator
CF Spain HQ

That reminds me one problem I had with and old '89 Fiat Tipo. I think it was something called "impulse detector" which was placed in the gearbox, next to the clutch.
When that detector got into a range of temperatures, it stopped working and the engine came to a stall, being impossible to start again untill the detector made contact again.
It was cheap to repair.

On the other hand, a friend of mine had a '95 1.4 Fiesta. I don't think what happened to him being related to your problem because the engine was different, but he had the same problem: the engine randomly came to a stall even though running at high speeds.
After replacing spark plugs and the carburettor several times, he ordered to his garage to open the engine. According to his history, there they found two cylinders were comunicated by a small fissure. It was determined that the problem was Ford's fault and they changed the engine block for free.

It cannot be so difficult. The instruction manual will tell me which pedal is the 'velocitator' and which one is the... 'deceleratrix' (by Mr. C.M. Burns)
May God bless those who have nothing to say and, furthermore, they keep quiet (by someone)
karburator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 04:12 PM   #5
sa22ie
CF Newbie

Thanx for the help guys I decided to take her to the garage and hopefully she wont cost too much to repair I noticed as well she has leaked a whole tank of oil since November!!!!! Not good! I don't have a rev count so I only guess what the revs would be but I don't imagine that I often take it much above 3000rpm. She's ok when she starts up even when it's cold. There was a bit of bother a while back when it would be a but shuddery when idle and that was air intake but I changed the holey pipe. I found out the garage I'd been taking her too was renound for ripping you off so I'm a bit upset about that too!!!

Damn expensive essential machines!!!!!

sa22ie is offline   Reply With Quote