Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2009, 08:16 PM   #1
mcmike4817
CF Newbie

2002 ford ranger suspension

My daughter just brought over her 2002 ranger for me to change the front brakes. I took off the front wheel on the drivers side and immediately noticed the (sway bar link bolt? ) had broken away from the sway bar. I'm attaching picture. Is this a difficult thing to replace? Are there any bushings that need to be replaced with it? Thanks for any help.

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1874a.jpg (31.6 KB, 12 views)
mcmike4817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:13 PM   #2
Satty101
CF's L body Freak

That's extremely easy to replace. You go to a local parts store and get a "Stabilizer bar end link". It comes in a few parts. 4 Bushings, 4 washers, a sleeve, a long bolt, and a nut (Probably with plastic threads on the inside.

You take this one off, take everything off the new one except for 1 washer/bushing. Put the bolt halfway in the control arm hole (The bottom hole, where it's still attatched in the pic) add another bushing, followed by another washer, then the sleeve, then another washer, and another bushing. Push the bolt through the stabilizer bar, put the last bushing/washer on, followed by the nut. Then tighten. It's that easy. Should'nt take more than 15 minutes, 45 minutes if it's covered in rust. Yours looks to be clean, but you're new to this. So, I'd suggest about 30 minutes for you to do them. They really are very simple, and when you do them, You'll remember how to do them forever...seriously.

1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS (PC'd)
1994 Chevrolet Beretta Z26 Q4 (W41 M90'd)
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 (4WD)

My wife's cars:

1971 Dodge Charger SE (stock and original 383 auto)
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX (kid-hauler)
Satty101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:27 AM   #3
mcmike4817
CF Newbie

Thanks for the advice. I did exactly as you said and my only problem was getting the old bolt out of the sleeve. So I cut it off with a sawsall. The new one went on just as you said and I was done in about 15 min.

As it turns out the brakes in the front were fine but I could hear noise coming from the rear brakes. The guy I dealt with at AutoZone was a mechanic and said he'd change the rears for $75.00 labor with a guarantee and the parts were about $125.00 unless the drums needed replacing. The vehicle has 103,000 miles on it. I know that the rear brake drums are harder to get off than the front pads so I'm thinking about have him do it for me. What do think, does the deal sound ok or should I attempt it myself or go to a certified garage? The guy has also worked for a friend of mine who owns a parts store.
mcmike4817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 08:16 AM   #4
Satty101
CF's L body Freak

Well, Id say that's about wat you're going to pay at a certified garage anyway. Depends on which one you go to and where you live ofcourse. If you don't know what you're doing on drums, it's better to have someone do it, or watch them do it. There's also the option of doing it yourself, taking both drums off, then dis-assemble one side and use the other side for reference. It's all about how comfotable you are with auto stuff...

1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS (PC'd)
1994 Chevrolet Beretta Z26 Q4 (W41 M90'd)
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 (4WD)

My wife's cars:

1971 Dodge Charger SE (stock and original 383 auto)
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX (kid-hauler)
Satty101 is offline   Reply With Quote