Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > Off Topic
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2009, 02:22 PM   #1
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Snow brings UK to a standstill

Now I would imagine given that most of you are in either the USA or Canada, some of you are used to heavy snow, and you just keep on soldiering by etc. Well on Monday of this week we had widespread snow across the country, which haulted most public transport for at least a day, and closed many schools. Luckily I was off work at the time so it didn't affect me too much (I travel on and work on the trains so you can see how it might have been). Anyway, everyone was advised to stay at home unless absolutely necessary and don't drive etc. Obviously I ignored the bit about driving, as being a car nut I love driving in snow and ice and see it as a challenge if anything, lol. I've attached a link. Please bear in mind though, that what might appear to be us being unprepared, is due to us never really suffering adverse weather like this, and thus not fitting snow tyres to cars or plows to trains . Also, as our trains in the south are mainly electric and run on a 'third rail' system, and snow or ice tends to affect them.

BBC News

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48

Last edited by Cliffy : 02-07-2009 at 02:26 PM.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 02:34 PM   #2
Satty101
CF's L body Freak

6 Inches?!?!?!?! Are you kidding me? Damn. Well, ok, I know you fellas over there probably arent used to it by now, but my god. 6 inches is an inconvinience here. We don't get worried till it's almost 1.5-2 feet.

In any sense, is it that different for you guys? I don't know the average snowfall for the UK so...I'm assuming close to Texas..

Ahem...There's a car under there BTW.

1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS (PC'd)
1994 Chevrolet Beretta Z26 Q4 (W41 M90'd)
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 (4WD)

My wife's cars:

1971 Dodge Charger SE (stock and original 383 auto)
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX (kid-hauler)
Satty101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 02:45 PM   #3
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satty101
6 Inches?!?!?!?! Are you kidding me? Damn. Well, ok, I know you fellas over there probably arent used to it by now, but my god. 6 inches is an inconvinience here. We don't get worried till it's almost 1.5-2 feet.

In any sense, is it that different for you guys? I don't know the average snowfall for the UK so...I'm assuming close to Texas..

Ahem...There's a car under there BTW.

Yeah 6-inches brings life to a hault over here. It was deeper than that where I live though. I measured at least nine inches...<< *Just realises how that might have looked*

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Old 02-10-2009, 05:12 PM   #4
dvdrose18
CF's resident Nurse

didn't you guys know at least a couple days before hand that the storm was coming? the news report makes it sound as though closing schools for a day is a national disaster. It's not like the kids were stranded in the schools. But i guess I don't realy understand, living in the States and all. Do most people over there even have a snow shovel or do you just wait for it to melt?
Old 02-15-2009, 06:35 PM   #5
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdrose18
didn't you guys know at least a couple days before hand that the storm was coming? the news report makes it sound as though closing schools for a day is a national disaster. It's not like the kids were stranded in the schools. But i guess I don't realy understand, living in the States and all. Do most people over there even have a snow shovel or do you just wait for it to melt?
The thing with the UK is that even though stuff like this gets forecast, we're never that prepared, lol. We tend just to wait for it to melt, especially on footpaths. Although the platforms at the railway stations have to be reasonably clear, so there's snow shovels at work, lol.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:34 PM   #6
fudge
let's fighting love

Its all gone this week thank god. Watching RWD cars trying to get out of my estate was a spectators sport at times.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:55 AM   #7
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge
Its all gone this week thank god. Watching RWD cars trying to get out of my estate was a spectators sport at times.
Kind of fun to be behind the wheel of just about anything though....