Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2008, 03:03 PM   #1
Duncan117
CF Newbie

Car not starting

Hi. I am driving a Renault Scenic (in France). My drove the car this morning to drop off kids (it had rained all night) and when I returned the car would not start. The battery is only one year old. THe contact lights come on but there is no sound when I turn the key to the full position. Is this a question of wet spark plugs? Any ideas? Thanks
Duncan117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 11:13 AM   #2
jedmann1989
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan117
Hi. I am driving a Renault Scenic (in France). My drove the car this morning to drop off kids (it had rained all night) and when I returned the car would not start. The battery is only one year old. THe contact lights come on but there is no sound when I turn the key to the full position. Is this a question of wet spark plugs? Any ideas? Thanks

Most likely a dead battery. If not that then possibly a starter issue. Or wire connections. I would have the battery tested for a dead cell first. Even if your spark plugs were wet you should still be able to hear it turn over. The other thing I'm thinking is possibly a wet connection somewhere in the wiring and it's shorting out. I say that because it wouldn't work after it rained. Still most likely it's your battery. Those can go bad randomly at any time.

Last edited by jedmann1989 : 12-07-2008 at 11:17 AM.
jedmann1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:23 PM   #3
shox1991
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan117

could also be a damp ecu, also make sure you have a good earth contact from engine to battery/chassis and from chassis to battery
shox1991 is offline   Reply With Quote