Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2006, 02:19 PM   #1
IwantaSti
CF Newbie

Help

Well I got a 99 Camaro two weeks ago and on monday night I was leaving a gas station and when I got on to the highway and I shifted into third the car hesitated for a half of a second then once I got to 60 it rode fine.Well then when ever I get on it hesitates to go...well the engine light came on yesterday so i took it and the code said the six cylinder was misfiring so I changed the wire and the spark plug..and I went out to test it and nothing happened but then like 10 mins later it started again...Right now im leaning that it my be my computer which would suck...but could it be my fuel pump..or a sensor..I just need some help please
IwantaSti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 02:30 PM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by IwantaSti
Well I got a 99 Camaro two weeks ago and on monday night I was leaving a gas station and when I got on to the highway and I shifted into third the car hesitated for a half of a second then once I got to 60 it rode fine.Well then when ever I get on it hesitates to go...well the engine light came on yesterday so i took it and the code said the six cylinder was misfiring so I changed the wire and the spark plug..and I went out to test it and nothing happened but then like 10 mins later it started again...Right now im leaning that it my be my computer which would suck...but could it be my fuel pump..or a sensor..I just need some help please
Based on the way you write and the terminolgy you use, it seems as though you have two options;

1. Continue jumping to conclusions concerning the cause and aimlessly replacing parts one by one until you either run out of money or accidentally fix the problem, or...

2. Pay someone who is experienced in driveability issues to diagnose, isolate and repair the problem. In most cases that is the cheapest route.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 02:34 PM   #3
IwantaSti
CF Newbie

Im having a shop diagnose it tomorrow..I know its not going to be cheap but is there a price range i should be looking at?
Old 04-13-2006, 02:40 PM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Im having a shop diagnose it tomorrow..I know its not going to be cheap but is there a price range i should be looking at?
I don't want other shops to quote for me, so I make it a point not to quote for other shops. Generally speaking, at most shops a basic diagnostic is one hour. At my shops that includes a minor repair (replacing a vacuum hose, cleaning an electrical connector, etc) if it can be accomplished within that time. It does not include extended diagnostic time or invasive inspection.

Just out of curiosity, you're not taking it to a Precision Tune kind of place, are you?

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 04-13-2006, 02:47 PM   #5
IwantaSti
CF Newbie

No its just a normal shop,my friends dad just told me to go there cause that was the only place that he knew of that could run a diagnose on the car...
Old 04-13-2006, 02:51 PM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
No its just a normal shop,my friends dad just told me to go there cause that was the only place that he knew of that could run a diagnose on the car...
Just make sure you're getting an actual diagnostic and not just codes read. They are two VERY different things.

Old 04-13-2006, 02:54 PM   #7
IwantaSti
CF Newbie

Well when I was talking to the guy he told me that if its was some as little as a fuel injector or a sensor then it would take like an hour but he said if its not that then it could take a couple of hours...I dont know what im going to do i hope its something little but I already prepared myself for the computer being shot..
Old 04-13-2006, 06:07 PM   #8
97Talonchik
discombobulated

I'm sure you'd notice more than a "little hestitation" if your computer was shot. Calm down.
97Talonchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 06:13 PM   #9
SyntheticTrust
Female of the *****

The exact same thing is happening with my car. The engine light finally came on last night when I got tired of it hesistating and kept on the gas instead of letting off. I've taken mine to a transmission shop and nothing wrong could be found. Had the transmission fluid flushed, did good for a day. Started the same shit again the next day. I hope you find out what's wrong, perhaps it's the same as mine and I can get it fixed before I just let it die out on me.

Whoever said money doesn't buy happiness obviously doesn't know where to buy a HORSE.
SyntheticTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 06:15 PM   #10
SyntheticTrust
Female of the *****

Does yours still hesitate once you get it up to 60? Or is it just the lower mphs?

Whoever said money doesn't buy happiness obviously doesn't know where to buy a HORSE.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:18 PM   #11
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyntheticTrust
The exact same thing is happening with my car. The engine light finally came on last night when I got tired of it hesistating and kept on the gas instead of letting off. I've taken mine to a transmission shop and nothing wrong could be found. Had the transmission fluid flushed, did good for a day. Started the same shit again the next day. I hope you find out what's wrong, perhaps it's the same as mine and I can get it fixed before I just let it die out on me.
Quote:
Does yours still hesitate once you get it up to 60? Or is it just the lower mphs?
For the sake of full disclosure, would you like to give us a brief list of your education, experience and certifications that makes you knowledgable enough to diagnose a driveability concern? I for one would be interested in knowing your qualifications.

Old 04-13-2006, 06:20 PM   #12
SyntheticTrust
Female of the *****

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
For the sake of full disclosure, would you like to give us a brief list of your education, experience and certifications that makes you knowledgable enough to diagnose a driveability concern? I for one would be interested in knowing your qualifications.
Was I diagnosing anything? No.

Old 04-13-2006, 06:23 PM   #13
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Was I diagnosing anything? No.
You weren't? Then what's this?

Quote:
It could just be the fact that it's indeed cold. My civic does that in winter. It takes it a second to crank and revs highs before idoling. I would say just let it sit there for about 5 minutes to warm up after you get it cranked so the battery charges back up. If it's just the weather, it should be fine.
You worded it to leave yourself an out, but it sure is close. Now how about that resume. I won't be able to sleep tonight without reading it.

Old 04-13-2006, 06:27 PM   #14
SyntheticTrust
Female of the *****

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
You weren't? Then what's this?

You worded it to leave yourself an out, but it sure is close. Now how about that resume. I won't be able to sleep tonight without reading it.
I gave a statement on what it COULD be. Never once did I say that's what it absolutly was. I dont need a ****ing certificate or resume to offer some advice. Whether you take it or not is completely up to you. So you can go to sleep now.

Old 04-13-2006, 06:31 PM   #15
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
I gave a statement on what it COULD be. Never once did I say that's what it absolutly was. I dont need a ****ing certificate or resume to offer some advice. Whether you take it or not is completely up to you. So you can go to sleep now.
Please allow me to translate that from Ignorant Slut to English;

Quote:
I really don't have a clue and I know I shouldn't bother posting. But I just can't help myself. I need attention and this is as good a way to get it as any. For an encore, I'm going to go out and run over a small child with my car while pretending to race on the street and then blame it on someone else.
Yeah, that's just about correct.