Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > Off Topic
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-24-2009, 07:00 PM   #16
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.
 
Zalight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico
Posts: 2,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianWheels
You may see some spam, but I try to catch as much as possible without too much disruption. The spiders are not anything to worry about, but the auto-sign-up bots are many and keeping up with them is just time consuming. Not having ALL admin powers, the most I can do is clear the advertising signatures and ban the name.

We get about 30-40 of these bots per day.

.
.


how?

when we only have about 10 posts per day?
__________________
1999 BMW ///M3
Zalight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 07:49 PM   #17
Satty101
CF's L body Freak
 
Satty101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Colorado Springs CO
Posts: 2,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalight
how?

when we only have about 10 posts per day?


When we delete them, they're permanently and physically removed. When we delete, we can't even veiw the thread. Saves on bandwidth...


Bav, I had no idea we had that much spam here. Every now and then I see one which I delete and whatnot, but 30-40 a day? Guess you're keeping up with it a hell of a lot more than even us mods know..
__________________
My cars:

1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS (PC'd)
1994 Chevrolet Beretta Z26 Q4 (W41 M90'd)
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 (4WD)

My wife's cars:

1971 Dodge Charger SE (stock and original 383 auto)
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX (kid-hauler)
Satty101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:38 PM   #18
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue
 
BavarianWheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 3,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satty101
When we delete them, they're permanently and physically removed. When we delete, we can't even veiw the thread. Saves on bandwidth...


Bav, I had no idea we had that much spam here. Every now and then I see one which I delete and whatnot, but 30-40 a day? Guess you're keeping up with it a hell of a lot more than even us mods know..

Actual spam/adverts on the forum itself are down, but bot sign ups are a huge problem. I've repeatedly emailed Adam about this, but in 3+ years I've not received any word from him.
.
.
__________________

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:28 PM   #19
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianWheels
You may see some spam, but I try to catch as much as possible without too much disruption. The spiders are not anything to worry about, but the auto-sign-up bots are many and keeping up with them is just time consuming. Not having ALL admin powers, the most I can do is clear the advertising signatures and ban the name.

We get about 30-40 of these bots per day.
.
.
How do you think I feel? All I can do is "tell teacher" (You or Satty), lol...But at least I can delete spam I guess. It's not all about Banning people, is it? I secretly enjoy it though, as it gives me something to do.

This has been my argument all along though. Certain people say we're useless etc etc, but most of the time, these people don't see what goes on behind the scenes. Do some people honestly think CF only has the occasional spamvertiser that only themselves spot and report, and then state that we need more Mods because we missed some spam?

On topic though, surely What is only posting because he's using a different username, and not because the Ban was lifted, Bav?
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48

Last edited by Cliffy : 03-26-2009 at 01:59 PM.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:53 PM   #20
Satty101
CF's L body Freak
 
Satty101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Colorado Springs CO
Posts: 2,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
How do you think I feel? All I can do is "tell teacher" (You or Satty), lol...But at least I can delete spam I guess. It's not all about Banning people, is it? I secretly enjoy it though, as it gives me something to do.

This has been my argument all along though. Certain people say we're useless etc etc, but most of the time, these people don't see what goes on behind the scenes. Do some people honestly think CF only has the occasional spamvertiser that only themselves spot and report, and then state that we need more Mods because we missed some spam?

On topic though, surely What is only posting because he's using a different username, and not because the Ban was lifted, Bav?



You would be correct Cliff. I'm pretty sure we can't IP ban (Which would save us a ton of effort...)
__________________
My cars:

1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS (PC'd)
1994 Chevrolet Beretta Z26 Q4 (W41 M90'd)
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 (4WD)

My wife's cars:

1971 Dodge Charger SE (stock and original 383 auto)
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX (kid-hauler)

Last edited by Cliffy : 03-26-2009 at 01:58 PM.
Satty101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 01:06 AM   #21
What III
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 8
I was never unbanned.


Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianWheels
As for What...Two words, Short Leash.
COME ON DUDE, THIS IS CAR-FORUMS VIA 2009. You 5-and-a-half years INVESTED IN THIS GAME and you still talking in this OVER-REGULATING LANGUAGE. Stop parachutin' on my aura, LET ME SHINE.

...because I sure don't give enough of a f*ck about you to moniter what you say. If you ever catch me on your post trail IT AIN'T ME PIMPIN'. YOU'VE BEEN BAMBOOZLED.

Last edited by What III : 03-28-2009 at 01:26 AM. Reason: I got that gin in my system. And I like it, I FEEL LIKE FIGHTIN'
What III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 05:59 PM   #22
Satty101
CF's L body Freak
 
Satty101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Colorado Springs CO
Posts: 2,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by What III
I was never unbanned.






Obviously if you weren't unbanned, but you still have this SN, then what the hell is the point?
__________________
My cars:

1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS (PC'd)
1994 Chevrolet Beretta Z26 Q4 (W41 M90'd)
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 (4WD)

My wife's cars:

1971 Dodge Charger SE (stock and original 383 auto)
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX (kid-hauler)
Satty101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:02 PM   #23
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore
 
StiMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Dallas, TX, USA
Posts: 2,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimario
Just unban the guy anyway, no one cares about this place.

Lolz.
__________________
John

StiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 06:18 AM   #24
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels
 
jedimario's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Clemson University
Posts: 2,149
Haha. Of course there would be no problem if people did care about this again.

It'd be fun to hang out with all the old crew again; I guess a good bit of us still linger though.
__________________


UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 04:47 PM   #25
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue
 
BavarianWheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 3,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by What III
I was never unbanned.



COME ON DUDE, THIS IS CAR-FORUMS VIA 2009. You 5-and-a-half years INVESTED IN THIS GAME and you still talking in this OVER-REGULATING LANGUAGE. Stop parachutin' on my aura, LET ME SHINE.

...because I sure don't give enough of a f*ck about you to moniter what you say. If you ever catch me on your post trail IT AIN'T ME PIMPIN'. YOU'VE BEEN BAMBOOZLED.

If you can't respect me...then don't address me at all.

Short leash just got cut in half. And the next time you won't be allowed back at all as best as I can prevent it.

Have fun with What as long as it lasts.
.
.
__________________

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:19 PM   #26
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels
 
jedimario's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Clemson University
Posts: 2,149
weaksauce.
__________________


UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:19 PM   #27
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue
 
BavarianWheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 3,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimario
weaksauce.

I don't mind you not liking the matter.

But I know What will bury himself very soon...and I look forward to it. Until then deal with that which you have no control over or find another forum...thousands out there in cyber world.
.
.
__________________

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:55 PM   #28
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianWheels
I don't mind you not liking the matter.

But I know What will bury himself very soon...and I look forward to it. Until then deal with that which you have no control over or find another forum...thousands out there in cyber world.
.
.
I quite like What...He gies us stuff to do, lol. I also think telling members to find other sites might be destructive in the current climate....
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:03 AM   #29
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue
 
BavarianWheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 3,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
I quite like What...He gies us stuff to do, lol. I also think telling members to find other sites might be destructive in the current climate....

I would agree...however members that have issue with my moderating should move on and not cause more problems. Simple logic.
.
.
__________________

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 01:08 AM   #30
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels
 
jedimario's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Clemson University
Posts: 2,149
I agree, I just don't care.
__________________


UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:08 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.