Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2004, 06:34 PM   #1
cinimod
CF Newbie

Question regarding my 03 corolla

I have a 03 corolla s. I am new to the import sport compact scene. I have done some looking but donít seem to find much to quicken up my car. Are there any bolt on items sold to fit my car? Is there anything else out there aside from horsepower items that any one would suggest? I would appreciate the help.
cinimod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 06:47 PM   #2
cinqyg
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinimod
I have a 03 corolla s. I am new to the import sport compact scene. I have done some looking but donít seem to find much to quicken up my car. Are there any bolt on items sold to fit my car? Is there anything else out there aside from horsepower items that any one would suggest? I would appreciate the help.

Well there are a whole host of things you can do, just depends on your budget, enthusiasm, skill and taste.

what would you like to do?
cinqyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 06:59 PM   #3
cinimod
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinqyg
Well there are a whole host of things you can do, just depends on your budget, enthusiasm, skill and taste.

what would you like to do?

Well, the budget is low at the moment but if i had some ideas of what i could to i can plan for the high end things. Lets start with what can i do for easy quick horse power and work up from there.
Old 05-16-2004, 06:53 AM   #4
abless
CF Anti-Mullet

First off, for more horsepower, you could get a new air filter and a new exhaust system. This will let your engine breathe easier. For better handling, you could buy stickier tires. For better stopping, you could upgrade your brakes too.

Last edited by abless : 05-16-2004 at 07:07 AM.
abless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 07:16 AM   #5
Cliffy
CF Loafer

With a low budget you're very limited in what you can do, I'd suggest a new exhaust system for starters though. If you're not a law abiding citizen, you could remove the Catalytic Converter and replace with a straight through pipe for increased flow. I wouldn't bother with any sort of induction kit though, waste of money in my oppinion!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 08:52 AM   #6
cinqyg
CF Freak

There not a waste of money, but the ones you buy off the shef are for $100, if your going to do induction system then need a budget of about $1000, so you can get new throttle bodies and add a functional scoop to your bonnet.

lets first establish what are you allowed to do if you want it to remain in warenty?

do you want the warrenty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
With a low budget you're very limited in what you can do, I'd suggest a new exhaust system for starters though. If you're not a law abiding citizen, you could remove the Catalytic Converter and replace with a straight through pipe for increased flow. I wouldn't bother with any sort of induction kit though, waste of money in my oppinion!
Old 05-16-2004, 09:13 PM   #7
cinimod
CF Newbie

Quote:
There not a waste of money, but the ones you buy off the shef are for $100, if your going to do induction system then need a budget of about $1000, so you can get new throttle bodies and add a functional scoop to your bonnet.

lets first establish what are you allowed to do if you want it to remain in warenty?

do you want the warrenty?

Ok, my next question would be do you know of any online sites where i could get an idea of what i could oder?
Old 05-17-2004, 02:18 AM   #8
nitehawk_87
CF Newbie

why would you want aything other than horsepower
otherwise you get typical jap crap-all show no go

Sign at a gas station:
we collect taxes-federal, provincial, and municipal
we also sell gas on the side
nitehawk_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 08:18 AM   #9
cinqyg
CF Freak

were talkin a corolla here so an enigne swap would probibly be a good place to start!
Old 05-17-2004, 10:56 PM   #10
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
were talkin a corolla here so an enigne swap would probibly be a good place to start!
Toyota make some of the most reliable engines.....so why would he want to swap it? lol. It looks to me like he's after slight modifications to increas output....not a whole new lump lol

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Old 05-17-2004, 11:50 PM   #11
abless
CF Anti-Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitehawk_87
why would you want aything other than horsepower
otherwise you get typical jap crap-all show no go

I know, why would anyone want to do anything but go in a straight line?
Old 05-18-2004, 07:01 AM   #12
JeffGodOfBiskut
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by abless

lol, god forbid.

but yeah, as at least one other person before has said, it all depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking for anything other than horsepower, you might wanna look at bigger rims/wider tires. That is probably the cheapest thing to get done, since rims have pretty variable prices, as do tires. Big brake upgrades tend to be expensive, and also often require larger rims anyways. And, unless you have the right equipment to do it yourself, suspension upgrades are no good for a low budget. Labor costs, at least around here, for even basic spring work are ridiculous.

*Dreams*
JeffGodOfBiskut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 02:01 PM   #13
cinqyg
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by abless

Well for every one that doesnt live in the usa then there are some very good reasons. There is one place in the uk which has the american grid system, milton keynes and they have changed all the stoplights for roundabouts! in most towns and citys there are bends and lots of roundabouts. One way systems and narrow streets.

There are plenty of good reason for going around courners, you actually have to have some skill to go fast in something other than a straight line.

I was on the A45 last night and there was a guy who went past me doing about 90mph its a 60 limit. he must have been 2 miles ahead of me when he pulled off the road into town also a 60 limit. I caught him up with out breaking the limit, bearing in mind i was driving a 56bhp bath tub and he was in a 120bhp (do u have puma's?) about twice the power. If you can drive a car around courners fast, with out ending up in a hedge then straightline speed is simple.
Old 05-18-2004, 08:12 PM   #14
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
In most towns and citys there are bends and lots of roundabouts. One way systems and narrow streets.

Have you ever been to Bristal?....I went to college there on block release and drove up a couple of times, that place has a ridiculous amount od round-a-bouts!....followowed by width restrictions...followed by speed cameras...

Old 05-18-2004, 11:20 PM   #15
cinqyg
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Have you ever been to Bristal?....I went to college there on block release and drove up a couple of times, that place has a ridiculous amount od round-a-bouts!....followowed by width restrictions...followed by speed cameras...

Yup, went to fishponds once in bristol and its so confusing to drive around. the bigest speed trap i have seen is in plymouth, big hill dual carrigeway blind summit then 5 cameras down the other side.