Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2009, 02:05 AM   #1
Hunter246
CF Newbie

Starting a Project

Hey everybody, My dad and I are starting a project car. We're buying a '78 Camaro for $500 USD. (car is in O.K. condition, it's cheap because it's being sold by a family friend that wants me 2 have that car) As far as I know it isn't start-able, and it hasn't been driven in 13 yrs. But, it's not damaged.
I will keep yal posted once we have the car. I don't want opinions just advice.

Thanks in advance,
Hunter
Hunter246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 02:13 AM   #2
Hunter246
CF Newbie

bumpbumpbumpbumpbumpbumpbumpbumpbumpbumpbumpbumpbu mpbumpbump
Old 04-14-2009, 03:19 AM   #3
corbett_auto
CF Addict

what sort of advice are you looking for?
Old 04-14-2009, 04:56 AM   #4
Hunter246
CF Newbie

Well Id like to know where to start really. I think what we plan to do is take it to the marina, we know the owner, remove engine and everything, clean them, take car to dads paint shop, pressure wash it, then paint it. Then we're not sure what to do from there, or even if my plan is good.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:09 AM   #5
corbett_auto
CF Addict

That seems to be ok. The thing to know is that there really isn't a wrong way to go about it. Every car and situation is different. So you just have to follow what makes the most sense to you and the car.

What is your goal from the finished car? How much time and money do you plan to put into it? Answer this and I will have a little more info to give an opinion.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:03 AM   #6
Hunter246
CF Newbie

I want it to eventually turn out like a hot rod; I plan to put at least 7-10K in it after a period of 2-4 years or so, but I'm pretty far from that and I'm very unexperienced so if I sound dumb thats why. I'm here to learn about what I CAN do with my car in the next 8-10 months or so. I really want my friends to also look at the car I created and realize that the little Civics and Beamer's their parents buy can't match my car's performance and power. I really also want a good hobby, and something I can take pride in, besides fishing and hunting and project cars always seemed really cool to me. I love being in the garage with my granddad, and kindof grew up in that atmosphere.

On second hand I'm also thinking about restoring this 78 Camaro and buying a "68" Camaro, or "65" Chevelle later on. please anybody feel free to drop your in.

Thanks,
Hunter
Old 04-17-2009, 08:26 AM   #7
Satty101
CF's L body Freak

For 7-10 grand, you have a few options. Option one, is rat rod style. It's VERY easy to spend 10K+ into an engine and drivtrain. Get it to go as fast as you can afford, which usually stops just after forced injection (Turbo or supercharger). Going this route, the car won't look like anything special, however it'll go like no tomorrow (So you can burn Hondas and Beemers.)

Option 2 is the most common seen on street drivin vehicles. All show, no go. Restoring a car could take a lot of money. Rust issues, interior rot, etc. Do it the wrong way, it may look good for a while, but it won't last. Do it the right way (As little body filler as possible, more metal panel replacements), it could last for years.

Option three, a little of both. Get the car looking decent (Not show car quality, but not junker look either) and get it running decent. (Not race car quality, but not "So old and run down a Geo Metro could beat it").

Now with that being said, it's your call which way you want to go with it. It's very easy to go through 10K. When we see some pics we could give better opinions on which way we would go with it. Ultimately like I said, it's up to you to choose.

1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS (PC'd)
1994 Chevrolet Beretta Z26 Q4 (W41 M90'd)
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 (4WD)

My wife's cars:

1971 Dodge Charger SE (stock and original 383 auto)
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX (kid-hauler)
Satty101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 02:33 PM   #8
Hunter246
CF Newbie

Yeah let me get you guys some pics. It might not be til next week tho so be patient
Old 04-18-2009, 05:36 AM   #9
corbett_auto
CF Addict

I agree with Satty101. It takes a lot more than a rebuilt engine and a quick paint job to call a car restored.

I look forward to seeing your pictures. And we will be happy to help walk you through the process.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:26 AM   #10
Hunter246
CF Newbie

Yeah so I've got the car but no camera. I'm going to borrow my girlfriends camera each time for picks so..... I should have picks on here by thursday or friday. (We haven't done anything but wash it so you haven't missed anything except a BIG puddle of pollen.)