Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2009, 08:41 AM   #1
eccy
CF Newbie

Which to choose...

Hey,

Currently look at getting one of the following...

Honda S2000
Nissan 350z
Mazda RX-8
Toyota Celica
Lancer Evo 7

Referring to performance, which do you guys think would be the best option?
Also, I'm in Australia so my access to some cars is limited. My price goes to 30,000 (Aus).

Thanks.
eccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 01:22 PM   #2
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccy
Hey,

Currently look at getting one of the following...

Honda S2000
Nissan 350z
Mazda RX-8
Toyota Celica
Lancer Evo 7

Referring to performance, which do you guys think would be the best option?
Also, I'm in Australia so my access to some cars is limited. My price goes to 30,000 (Aus).

Thanks.
I'd eliminate the Celica straight away. On paper the other 5 are good performers, but in my opinion the Evo would be the best performer and most affordable option, given its likely age.

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 04:26 PM   #3
DARKtEAGLE
CF Addict

Well since I'm a DSMer I'm automatically going to tell you that the EVO is the best option for you. Its reliable and cheap to make fast.

92% of teens moved on to rap music.
If you're part of the 8% that rock out everyday, put this in your signature
DARKtEAGLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 04:46 PM   #4
fudge
let's fighting love

For outright performance I'd say the Evo is hard to beat. The Celica GT4 is also fast but it's thirst for super unleaded financially crippled my friend a while ago...

The import tuning scene in Oz tends to wean towards AWD cars such as the Rex, Evo and Godzilla so you'll probably get more aftermarket support. Have you not considered the Monaro/Commodores or Falcons?
Old 04-21-2009, 05:15 PM   #5
DARKtEAGLE
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge
The import tuning scene in Oz tends to wean towards AWD cars such as the Rex, Evo and Godzilla so you'll probably get more aftermarket support. Have you not considered the Monaro/Commodores or Falcons?
I wish they'd make falcons here in the US again man those cars are awesome.

92% of teens moved on to rap music.
If you're part of the 8% that rock out everyday, put this in your signature
DARKtEAGLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 06:53 PM   #6
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
For outright performance I'd say the Evo is hard to beat. The Celica GT4 is also fast but it's thirst for super unleaded financially crippled my friend a while ago...

You're telling me that the difference of MAYBE $3.00-$4.00 per tank crippled your friend? LOL!!!

I don't know where you're from, but even at the height of the gas prices a few months back, the difference between Supreme and Cheap was not a huge deal. Right now, the difference is about 0.15 cents. That can't be the cause for financially crippling anyone!

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:46 PM   #7
fudge
let's fighting love

Super Unleaded costs at one point last year 1.20(around $2)/litre. That's at least 50/tank and with its poor fuel mileage (the Celica GT4 is not the car people drive slowly) that adds up. Even 10 for me in my econobox will only manage a week at best these days.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:34 PM   #8
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Super Unleaded costs at one point last year 1.20(around $2)/litre. That's at least 50/tank and with its poor fuel mileage (the Celica GT4 is not the car people drive slowly) that adds up. Even 10 for me in my econobox will only manage a week at best these days.

Yeah, but Evos have never been known for frugality, either, and if the Celica would have crippled him, so would an Evo...

Even when gas was $4/gallon here last year, it only cost me $10-15 a week to commute. compared to what I make now, that's even cheaper than when I was making $7.50/hr and gas cost less than a buck a gallon. 10 a week is only 40 a month. That shouldn't be a large portion of your paycheck, even at really low wages. If it cripples you, you're way overspending in other areas.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:06 AM   #9
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:

Try filling a 24 gallon tank on an X5 almost weekly at the gas rates last year! Almost consistently was $110-$120.00 per tank! But still only a few dollars off the "cheap" gas price.

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:27 AM   #10
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
Yeah, but Evos have never been known for frugality, either, and if the Celica would have crippled him, so would an Evo...

Even when gas was $4/gallon here last year, it only cost me $10-15 a week to commute. compared to what I make now, that's even cheaper than when I was making $7.50/hr and gas cost less than a buck a gallon. 10 a week is only 40 a month. That shouldn't be a large portion of your paycheck, even at really low wages. If it cripples you, you're way overspending in other areas.
I can see what he's saying. My Xantia done about 30mpg, and while that's not that bad really, if you're used to running cars that do at least 40mpg, it sure does take some getting used to! Fuel costs where I live last year reached 1.30 a litre, and at 96p per litre now, that's quite a drop on a 65-litre tank. I've just got used to it now, but have recently aquired a Vauxhall Astra Turbo Diesel which should return around 50 to the gallon.

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:38 PM   #11
fudge
let's fighting love

It wouldn't affect me had I still be in employment but I'm back in education and looking for part time/summer job hopefully in the motorsport/engineering sector. I didn't take a student loan this year so I'm holding out til end of summer with what I've got. As I want to build either a Locost or space-framed KA for my second year project I'm definately gonna need the loan for next year!!

Quote:
Try filling a 24 gallon tank on an X5 almost weekly at the gas rates last year! Almost consistently was $110-$120.00 per tank! But still only a few dollars off the "cheap" gas price.

If you can afford it then why not, I'm just giving out my reccomendations. And besides if I had a Chelsea tractor I would have converted it to LPG as its half price and has a higher octane rating.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:03 PM   #12
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

My point is, none of the cars on the list will be appreciably different in running costs for fuel. The Celica won't be appreciably higher cost to fuel than the others. While the total fuel bill might be high, even the best of the cars on that list will only reduce that fuel bill by a few dollars a week. And if you're trying to save a few dollars on fuel costs, don't spend $20-30k on a car to start with.

I have the same argument with Prius drivers about my Range Rover. They say "how much do you pay for fuel?" I get 50 mpg!" And I say "I get 18mpg, but the $15k I saved by buying this used Range Rover vs a new Prius means I can go for a few years before I even equal the cost of your car without fuel at all!"

And Bav, even the Range Rover only cost $20 a week for me to commute in if I used it for that instead of the BMW back when fuel was $4/gallon.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 05:56 PM   #13
fudge
let's fighting love

Prius drivers are too full of smug, I would consider one but they're expensive to start with plus they're ugly. If I was feeling ambitious enough I might even try and build my own version of the KERs system using parts from a written off Prius. Just need to recap on the principles of electronic drives if I still have my lecture notes...

And to top it off today, the UK government has introduced a scrappage scheme in a vain attempt to kick start the motor industry by offering 2000 discount when customers exchange their old cars for a new one. If you truly want to save money you get a cheap used car which won't depreciate (as it already has done).
Old 05-12-2009, 08:23 PM   #14
jocurimasini
CF Newbie

Mazda RX-8
Old 05-14-2009, 12:20 PM   #15
petastle
CF Newbie

I have always been a honda fan and i love this beauty of the convertible Honda S2000,though slightly on the expensive side but its worth it.
petastle is offline   Reply With Quote