Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2005, 06:09 AM   #1
crc1214
CF Newbie

Transmission fluid for a 01 Saturn L200??

Hello all. My first post!

This may seem like a stupid question, but does a 01 Saturn L200 4 cylinder auto-trans have transmission fluid??

Now some of you may laugh, but I'm 100% serious here. I've combed over the owners manual, and I can't find anywhere that mentions where the reservoir is, how to check the level, or when to change it.

I would've normally called myself crazy for actually believing that it may not have transmission fluid, but I know from repairing many older Japanese motorcycles that those engines have transmissions that run in the engine oil. No transmission fluid used in those.

Anyhow, is that indeed the case - is this one of the few makes of cars (that I'm aware of at least) that actually has the transmission running in the engine oil?

Thanks,

Chad
crc1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 06:33 AM   #2
6000LE
Banned

of course it has tranny fluid.
6000LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 06:53 AM   #3
crc1214
CF Newbie

600LE, in my book "of course it does" means that you know 100% sure that it does. Have you seen it referenced in print or been under the hood and actually seen the transmission fluid reservoir, or are you basing your answer upon the various cars you've tinkered with in your extremely short (just a guess here) lifetime?

I don't mean to be a prick. If you know, you know, if you don't, then don't waste the webspace with assumptions.

If you're 100% sure, then be a gem and school me a little on the location of the trans fluid and the recommended service interval. I'm a pretty attentive student when I have a competent teacher.

Chad
Old 10-13-2005, 08:16 PM   #4
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by crc1214
600LE, in my book "of course it does" means that you know 100% sure that it does. Have you seen it referenced in print or been under the hood and actually seen the transmission fluid reservoir, or are you basing your answer upon the various cars you've tinkered with in your extremely short (just a guess here) lifetime?

I don't mean to be a prick. If you know, you know, if you don't, then don't waste the webspace with assumptions.

If you're 100% sure, then be a gem and school me a little on the location of the trans fluid and the recommended service interval. I'm a pretty attentive student when I have a competent teacher.

Chad

How about hes basing his info off of COMMON SENSE for most people. ANY kind of transmission in a car has transmission fluid. Do you know if your car has engine oil? It might not because you didn't see it in the manual.

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 11:10 PM   #5
6000LE
Banned

Quote:

Chad
if the tranny dindt have fluid it would not even last 1/2 of the life of one with fluid. yes they have fluid. here is how to check. go and let your car warm up for 5 minutes. keep it running nad pop the hood. there should be a dipstick just like the one for oil, thats the one you need. pull it and check. bewre though that if you do this dry, and there is not nuff fluid, it wont show. see what happens is that when you start the car, the tranny sucks that fluid in, so unless the car is operational, you wont know. and by the way im 17 and dont know as much as others, but i have the sense to not be a newcomer and start making myself look like a dick from the second post. but anyway, thats how you check. if there is not enough fluid, add it. i doubt you should have any problems with a car like that, but i check mine every week. you never know what could happen. best of luck
Old 10-14-2005, 07:26 PM   #6
crc1214
CF Newbie

Yeah, I tend to start talking like a dick to 17 year olds who's biography says "Russian, Smoker", and occupation as "hustla".

Look kids, thanks for helping. I do appreciate it. But I'll be taking my questions elsewhere from now on.

In the mean time, I suggest you thank your parents for putting up with your asses and supporting you financially by buying computers, clothes, food and board so you can buy your $4.25 a pack smokes and the latest and greatest gadgets for your "pimp rides".

All I gotta say is this...... enjoy these days while they last boys..... cause
10 or 15 years from now you'll just be another greaser working at the local AutoZone talking trash about the glory days and the sweet pimped out ride you had back in '05.

Later dudes. See you in hell when you get there.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:03 PM   #7
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Quote:
Yeah, I tend to start talking like a dick to 17 year olds who's biography says "Russian, Smoker", and occupation as "hustla".

Look kids, thanks for helping. I do appreciate it. But I'll be taking my questions elsewhere from now on.

In the mean time, I suggest you thank your parents for putting up with your asses and supporting you financially by buying computers, clothes, food and board so you can buy your $4.25 a pack smokes and the latest and greatest gadgets for your "pimp rides".

10 or 15 years from now you'll just be another greaser working at the local AutoZone talking trash about the glory days and the sweet pimped out ride you had back in '05.

Theres no reason to get pissy, if there was no tranny fluid then all the shit would lock up due to the friction if you didn't have any kinds of lube in there. My suggestion is that you do like "treasure hunt" inside the engine to look for the little dipstick for the tranny
Old 10-14-2005, 08:43 PM   #8
crc1214
CF Newbie

You know, what's with all the references to the 99 Integra's on this site? What's up with that?

BTW, that cat attack made me laugh out loud. Send some more funny shit.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:44 PM   #9
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Quote:
You know, what's with all the references to the 99 Integra's on this site? What's up with that?
I don't quite understand what you are trying to point out?
Old 10-14-2005, 09:07 PM   #10
crc1214
CF Newbie

HA! Yeah right!

I gotta figure this one out. People who don't even own Integras are saying "Proud member of the 99Integra fan club". You drive a Ranger man! What's up with that?

Some kind of inside joke or something?
Old 10-14-2005, 10:11 PM   #11
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Exclamation F*ckin Idiot

Quote:

No you tend to start talking like a 5 year old who thinks hes hit puberty when you come online and ask a question then look like a fool for asking such a stupid question. And you should be taking your questions to your special ed teacher because you are obviously far more retarded than any of us could help. I suggest you stfu because you don't know at all what your talkin about, go hit puberty, grow some pubes, and then IF you ever do come back here and maybe you won't get treated like some home-less bum off the street that spent the last 5 years sniffin markers, or should I say some greaser working at the local Autozone because it's obvious you are using YORUSELF as an example, sad thing is you never had a nice ride because you were prolly too busy spending all your money on abortions for the hoes you knocked up adn got pregnant.

I'll see you in Hell on my way up to heaven thank you very much Dumb@$$.

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 10:26 PM   #12
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Quote:
HA! Yeah right!

I gotta figure this one out. People who don't even own Integras are saying "Proud member of the 99Integra fan club". You drive a Ranger man! What's up with that?

Some kind of inside joke or something?
Got to be here for a while to understand
Old 10-16-2005, 04:32 AM   #13
6000LE
Banned

This dude is just a turd. Hey pal I make my own money, buy my own clothes, car, cigarettes, gadgets for my "pimp ride" that you will never dream of because you cant even figure out that your car has ****ing transmission fluid. And I aced my SAT and have a 3.7 GPA, so you and your Autozone theory can rot in hell. Youre just another overopinionated, egoistic, self centered son of a richboy because you think you have it all. Get a clue idiot.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:16 AM   #14
meckano
CF Newbie

Ok, ya mean where do you fill it, cause yes, it has to have fluid.

If there is nothing obvious, it may have a flush screw cap to keep folk from filling it with antifreeze.
Try a saturn dealer, they really blew my mind with kindness and understanding when I bought mine second hand.
meckano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 10:55 PM   #15
mgisinger
CF Newbie

2001 l200 have no tranny dipstick. Your looking for a red cap about the same size as the oil cap on top the engine. The red cap should be to the right of the engine and under 3-4 tubes about 10 inches lower then the top of the engine. Look for two tubes running front to back held together with a clip. Should be right underneath these.

Can I be a smokin hustlin russian too? Will it make my e-pen1s bigger?
mgisinger is offline   Reply With Quote