Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2004, 10:35 PM   #1
4carsken
CF Newbie

Lightbulb 1996 Ford Taurus- dome light stays on

The dome light in my Mother's 1996 Ford Taurus stays on even after shutting the door so we had to disconnect it. Ford says we have to replace the entire door latch mechanism to fix it which is very pricey. Does anyone have any ideas for a cheaper fix to this problem?
4carsken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 12:03 AM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4carsken
The dome light in my Mother's 1996 Ford Taurus stays on even after shutting the door so we had to disconnect it. Ford says we have to replace the entire door latch mechanism to fix it which is very pricey. Does anyone have any ideas for a cheaper fix to this problem?
Remove the bulb? That should be about... Free!

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 12:21 AM   #3
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:

Hm! Which door latch would that be?
DodgeRida67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 12:28 AM   #4
4carsken
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeRida67
Near as we can tell it is the driver's side door latch that is causing the problem. Why can't Ford just use the little buttons in the door jam like everybody else?
4carsken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 12:30 AM   #5
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
Near as we can tell it is the driver's side door latch that is causing the problem. Why can't Ford just use the little buttons in the door jam like everybody else?

I'm intrested in knowing how you figured that out?
Old 11-18-2004, 01:00 AM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Maybe someone with experience working on that car, unlike you, did the proper troubleshooting. The drivers side door latch is usually the first to go south... because it's generally the most used door. My only suggestion to you is to first ensure which latch it is, then go visit your friendly auto salvage yard. It still won't be cheap, just cheaper.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 11-18-2004, 01:06 AM   #7
DodgeRida67
Banned

I was just going to make sure he did the proper troubleshooting and didn't get it wrong or guess at it. It could save him grief.
Old 11-18-2004, 01:13 AM   #8
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
I was just going to make sure he did the proper troubleshooting and didn't get it wrong or guess at it. It could save him grief.
Well, I won't call you a liar, but... I've known you long enough to read between the lines and this;

Quote:
and this;

Quote:
reads alot more like, yeah buddy, get a clue. You know it, I know it, and now that I typed it everybody knows it.

Old 12-10-2004, 09:28 AM   #9
RoxanaNW
CF Newbie

Quote:

Been there two times for the drivers door and now the front passenger. I pulled the relay switch to prevent the drain on my battery and to enable me to drive it at night. But that will only buy you some time. It only gets worse to the point you can not open the doors from the outside.
I refused to allow Ford to make the repairs after the first time. IF I can take it apart and replace with parts from a salvage lot, anyone can do it.
Has she had any problems with her heater core? I replaced mine twice before 80,000 miles.
Good luck.
Roxana
RoxanaNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 12:00 PM   #10
cpprioli
CF Newbie

This is a very common problem on MANY recent Fords, and it also has a very simple fix. With the door open, simply saturate the latch mechanism with WD-40 -- spray it directly into the latch jaws -- and then work the latch several times (by closing and opening the door) to work the spray into the latch. Do this to each door in turn -- don't just assume that the problem is confined to one particular door!

I see this condition quite frequently, and have found that the WD-40 has worked every time... despite what Ford will tell you!
cpprioli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 12:19 AM   #11
someguy42
CF Newbie

Many wonderous thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpprioli
This is a very common problem on MANY recent Fords, and it also has a very simple fix. With the door open, simply saturate the latch mechanism with WD-40 -- spray it directly into the latch jaws -- and then work the latch several times (by closing and opening the door) to work the spray into the latch. Do this to each door in turn -- don't just assume that the problem is confined to one particular door!

I see this condition quite frequently, and have found that the WD-40 has worked every time... despite what Ford will tell you!

The WD-40 solution worked perfectly for me! Thanks a ton!

Some Guy
someguy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 06:40 AM   #12
andrst
CF Newbie

Thumbs up Excellent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpprioli

Once again, the WD-40 solution worked perfectly for my 1998 Ford Taurus. This forum is for you if your car matches the above descriptions.
andrst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:20 PM   #13
sarah_9
CF Newbie

Hello,

Ideas like replace the bulb or cut the wire are ultimate solutions, but replacing the door is the only solution repairing are temporary and they can cause other problems also.

Regards,
sarah_9
Old 09-02-2009, 04:42 AM   #14
popular123
Banned

Do this to each door in turn

don't just assume that the problem is confined to one particular door!
popular123 is offline   Reply With Quote