Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2005, 10:26 PM   #1
Rocko790165
CF Newbie

ahhhh rice

whats your definition of rice or a ricer?
Rocko790165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 10:29 PM   #2
fudge
let's fighting love

Something you eat.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:33 PM   #3
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

A ricer is not a car, but a person. Thier is a difference between a true Japeneese performance enthusiast and a ricer peice of shit. But its all subjective as to who you are talking to at the time. In my opinion a ricer is someone who lacks knowledge of automotives, but thinks they are car Geniuses. Ricers are the douchebags who save up there McDonalds income to buy those "Phat silver wiper blades, and sick LED winshield washer lights" that they saw at Autozone to put on their 1988 accord. I dont care if your a Show guy or a Go guy, but it all has to be tastefully done. No unnesesarly large 4 foot rear spoilers for your 1993 neon.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:10 PM   #4
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Rice is an attitude, and it applies to all cars. the definition was coined by Bryan Hog back in teh early '90s, as a way of pointing out a particular group of asian kids in his area (San Diego). It was all about the race car replica wannabe's. Guys that put some stickers, stripes, huge exhaust tip and wing, and thought that their otherwise stock economy car was the fastest thing out there. Oh, and wrong badging for teh sake of trying to fool people, liek Type R stickers on everything, or VTEC stickers on non-VTEC cars, and mostly stickers or badges for products they never had on their cars.

Purely cosmetic mods for the sake of making the car different were not categorized as rice, as they aren't race car wannabes and the owner's attitude was different.

Unfortunately, due to the advent of RiceBoy, real race cars and real performance cars that the Ricers were emulating were ALSO called rice by equally ignorant anti-Ricers. And then any modification to any car that didn't make it significantly faster was called Rice and ridiculed in the same way by those same ignorant anti-ricers. Race cars, muscle cars, street rods, all have done purely cosmetic mods to make their cars look better to, from bright or wild paint jobs to chrome accessories, etc. And NONE of them were given a bad time until RiceBoy came on the scene.

It's sad, really, to see how many traditional custom modifications are now considered rice simply because a few fools think that any money spent on your car that doesn't make it quite a bit faster is a waste.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 11:20 PM   #5
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
the definition was coined by Bryan Hog back in teh early '90s
Really? It was? Are you sure? Absolutely? If that's the case, then how come we (me, my friends, acquaintances, etc) were calling cars of that genre "rice" and their drivers "ricers" in the mid '80's. And no, I'm not confusing it with the term "rice rocket" which I remember using as a kid in the '60's. The floor is yours, keep it short.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 11:29 PM   #6
Rocko790165
CF Newbie

because lots of people think that if you do anything performance wise to a civic then its still rice and your wasting your money but one of my friends has a civc that hes swapped engines for a b18, supercharged it with nitrous cai, catback exhaust system new cam gears and lots of other things car is fast and can beat a lot of "muscle" cars but he has altezza taillights would you consider that rice
Old 11-21-2005, 11:31 PM   #7
hondaman
I drive a Buick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko790165
because lots of people think that if you do anything performance wise to a civic then its still rice and your wasting your money but one of my friends has a civc that hes swapped engines for a b18, supercharged it with nitrous cai, catback exhaust system new cam gears and lots of other things car is fast and can beat a lot of "muscle" cars but he has altezza taillights would you consider that rice
Not really. Altezza's aren't my taste but I wouldn't call it rice.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:50 PM   #8
Bino
Written Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko790165

Yes, I would, anything that has Altezza style taillights... and didn't come from the factory as such... is rice IMO. I basically consider (my personal preference) anything with Nitrous rice as well.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:51 PM   #9
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bino
Yes, I would, anything that has Altezza style taillights... and didn't come from the factory as such... is rice IMO. I basically consider (my personal preference) anything with Nitrous rice as well.
Why does nitrous equal rice? That simply makes no sense. Enquiring minds want to know.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 11-22-2005, 12:41 AM   #10
Bino
Written Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Why does nitrous equal rice? That simply makes no sense. Enquiring minds want to know.

It is totally a matter of preference and I can see why some people would not classify nitrous as such. But, nitrous is not legal in a street car... i.e. for off-road use only. So... what's the point unless it's a racecar? If it's not a racecar, why do you have nitrous? I view it as a poser modification, somebody who can't actually build an engine that makes power so they must supplement with burn accelerant (I see it as a penile pump). I want my car to legally have the same power on the street as at the strip. I guess it's more of a challenge if everybody's playing within the same boundaries.

Here's what I hear (little voices in my head) whenever I hear somebody talk about nitrous: "Yeah doood, I got a CAI on my 1.5L, added like 50hp at the wheels, then I put on a 150 shot of naawwwsss my ride is mad tyte yo... I dogged on a Viper earlier, Vipers are soooo slow." Or something along those lines.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:11 AM   #11
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bino
It is totally a matter of preference and I can see why some people would not classify nitrous as such. But, nitrous is not legal in a street car... i.e. for off-road use only. So... what's the point unless it's a racecar? If it's not a racecar, why do you have nitrous? I view it as a poser modification, somebody who can't actually build an engine that makes power so they must supplement with burn accelerant (I see it as a penile pump). I want my car to legally have the same power on the street as at the strip. I guess it's more of a challenge if everybody's playing within the same boundaries.

Here's what I hear (little voices in my head) whenever I hear somebody talk about nitrous: "Yeah doood, I got a CAI on my 1.5L, added like 50hp at the wheels, then I put on a 150 shot of naawwwsss my ride is mad tyte yo... I dogged on a Viper earlier, Vipers are soooo slow." Or something along those lines.
Nitrous may not be legal where you live, but it most assuredly is where I live. Furthermore, the fact that I don't use it on the street is immaterial. I drive the car to the track, crack the bottle and have some fun.

You obviously have little or no experience with bracket or grudge racing. The "boundries" that you refer to are non-existent. On any given night I might run against cars that are turbochargered, superchargered, nitroused or naturally aspirated. I'll run against cars with engines as big as 600+ CI or a small as 1600 CC's, although MOST of the time my competitors have engines at least twice as big as my 2332 CC's.

Maybe if you were spending time with the right crowd instead of hanging out in front of Wal-Mart with your friends, you'd realise that nitrous has it's place in the world of high performance instead of critisizing those that use it. Maybe if you had more experience building engines for various types of racing you'd know just how much work it takes to make an engine that's already fast and on the edge stay alive when you spray it.

Old 11-22-2005, 02:37 AM   #12
Rocko790165
CF Newbie

ok his car is a race/street car cause he takes it to races in Arizona and other places all the time and i was talking to this guy who owns a new GTO and he was ratting on imports and i asked him if he could beat that kids civic and he started arguing how he could if he didnt have nitrous but it just shows how ignorant some people are when it comes to imports
Old 11-22-2005, 03:05 AM   #13
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Well, dictionary.com defines ricer/ricing as:
Quote:
To sieve (food) to the consistency of rice.

A ricer would be:
Quote:
A kitchen utensil used for ricing soft foods by extrusion through small holes.

I would say it is a person...I was actuall thinking about this when I saw a 1993 (I think) RX-7, with the biggest exhaust I have ever seen (5+ inches)

For example, a car cannot be called a rice-mobile unless put in the hands of a person who thinks it is crazy fast, with no performance mods, and a massive wing. Usually in Asian cars, but sadly also in American and European cars

Obviously this is debatable, and some people will think nitrous is rice, where some won't think a 3 foot wing isn't...It's all personal opinion...
Old 11-22-2005, 03:11 AM   #14
Bino
Written Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Nitrous may not be legal where you live, but it most assuredly is where I live. Furthermore, the fact that I don't use it on the street is immaterial. I drive the car to the track, crack the bottle and have some fun.

You obviously have little or no experience with bracket or grudge racing. The "boundries" that you refer to are non-existent. On any given night I might run against cars that are turbochargered, superchargered, nitroused or naturally aspirated. I'll run against cars with engines as big as 600+ CI or a small as 1600 CC's, although MOST of the time my competitors have engines at least twice as big as my 2332 CC's.

Maybe if you were spending time with the right crowd instead of hanging out in front of Wal-Mart with your friends, you'd realise that nitrous has it's place in the world of high performance instead of critisizing those that use it. Maybe if you had more experience building engines for various types of racing you'd know just how much work it takes to make an engine that's already fast and on the edge stay alive when you spray it.

Yes, I think you came to a completely logical conclusion about me. Snap judgement... once again. I do believe that it has its place, perhaps "all nitrous is ricey" was a bit broad on my part. Use it at the racetrack, that's fine, I choose not to because I think there are better ways. It's lovely how you choose to attack people because their opinions differ from yours... rather than just point out your difference of opinion in a civil manner.

Take your comment about keeping the engine together... I never said it was easy to keep the engine together... now did I? Funny how you placed those words in my mouth.

I'm not 16, do not treat me as such.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:40 AM   #15
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

A ricer is a person lacking in taste when it comes to car modification. Rice can vary from the guy who puts a park bench on his car, to the guy who thinks doing so will add 50 horsepower.