Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2005, 03:36 AM   #1
merenqueen
CF Newbie

Unhappy 1998 Honda Civic Keyless Car entry Problems

Hello,
My problem is regarding my 1998 Honda Civic Ex 2dr. One night I entered my Honda as usual using the keyless car entry got in the car..locked myself in. As i turned on the car, the locks started to open and close automatically and the horn started honking on its own. The car seemed possessed. I do not have an alarm in my car and i never had the horn attached to my keyless car entry. When i opened my door the horn and the locks stopped...but when i closed my door it started up again.
I thought maybe i hit the panic button on the keyless car entry so i hit any buttons on the keyless car entry remote and it wouldnt stop. My battery in my remote is good. I had to disconnect the horn so i could at least drive my car home. When i got home I checked the fuse boxes to see if any fuses were broken..or needed to be changed..they were fine. I checked the fuses that were for the door locks and I had to pull the door lock fuse so the door locks would stop opening and closing.
So now i have no automatic door locks and no horn..but i still hear this clicking sound coming from the bottom of my dash to the left of the steering wheel.
I had one of my friends open the bottom of the dash..under the steering wheel and we heard where the noise was coming from but had no idea had to stop it. ANy ideas....please any suggestions would help.
merenqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 11:22 PM   #2
Carcass
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by merenqueen
Hello,
My problem is regarding my 1998 Honda Civic Ex 2dr. One night I entered my Honda as usual using the keyless car entry got in the car..locked myself in. As i turned on the car, the locks started to open and close automatically and the horn started honking on its own. The car seemed possessed. I do not have an alarm in my car and i never had the horn attached to my keyless car entry. When i opened my door the horn and the locks stopped...but when i closed my door it started up again.
I thought maybe i hit the panic button on the keyless car entry so i hit any buttons on the keyless car entry remote and it wouldnt stop. My battery in my remote is good. I had to disconnect the horn so i could at least drive my car home. When i got home I checked the fuse boxes to see if any fuses were broken..or needed to be changed..they were fine. I checked the fuses that were for the door locks and I had to pull the door lock fuse so the door locks would stop opening and closing.
So now i have no automatic door locks and no horn..but i still hear this clicking sound coming from the bottom of my dash to the left of the steering wheel.
I had one of my friends open the bottom of the dash..under the steering wheel and we heard where the noise was coming from but had no idea had to stop it. ANy ideas....please any suggestions would help.

Sounds to me as if u got a defec. relay. Have ur friend remove the part that was clicking, and bring it to an autoparts store and purchase a new one. Pretty positive about this, but feel free to another opinion..
Carcass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 06:09 PM   #3
merenqueen
CF Newbie

Question question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcass
Sounds to me as if u got a defec. relay. Have ur friend remove the part that was clicking, and bring it to an autoparts store and purchase a new one. Pretty positive about this, but feel free to another opinion..

thank you very much for your help. I have a couple more questions for you. When i opened up the dash under the steering wheel and heard the noise..i thought i pulled out the relay...this black plug..that is connected to the keyless entry unit. ..and it still made noise....so how many relays are there in a keyless car unit?...and how do they look like? because i may have pulled out the wrong thing. Yes I know a dumb question but I really dont know how a relay looks like. Thanks.
Old 02-12-2005, 05:39 PM   #4
Carcass
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by merenqueen
thank you very much for your help. I have a couple more questions for you. When i opened up the dash under the steering wheel and heard the noise..i thought i pulled out the relay...this black plug..that is connected to the keyless entry unit. ..and it still made noise....so how many relays are there in a keyless car unit?...and how do they look like? because i may have pulled out the wrong thing. Yes I know a dumb question but I really dont know how a relay looks like. Thanks.

Well. if it still made noise (i presume not the one in ur hand but one under the dash) then i would say u pulled the wrong one. LISTEN to the one making the noise, if u suspect u found it, u should even feel it clicking when ur finger is on it. And the relay may not necessarily be connected to ur keyless entry unit. Could be a relay from the car itself. Relays are hard to explain how they look seeeing as the have all shapes sizes and colors. Some are round, silver, black, etc. The main thing to look for is the one thats CLICKING. Hope this helps.
Old 02-13-2005, 11:16 PM   #5
merenqueen
CF Newbie

Smile thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcass
Well. if it still made noise (i presume not the one in ur hand but one under the dash) then i would say u pulled the wrong one. LISTEN to the one making the noise, if u suspect u found it, u should even feel it clicking when ur finger is on it. And the relay may not necessarily be connected to ur keyless entry unit. Could be a relay from the car itself. Relays are hard to explain how they look seeeing as the have all shapes sizes and colors. Some are round, silver, black, etc. The main thing to look for is the one thats CLICKING. Hope this helps.
\

Thanks for all the advise and help u have given me...yesterday i worked on my car.. and my friend asked some guy for help and he mentioned unplugging the battery and pluggin it back in and that by doing this, this will restart everything in the car...and it did.. i didnt hear the clicking sound under the dash..i plugged back the doorlocks fuse and the horn and everything was back to normal. the only problem is my keypad didnt work anymore...so now i have to reprogram my keypad. I called honda and they said they would reprogram it for free. I read in the manual u can reprogram the keypad by pressin a button on the stock radio ....the problem is i dont have the stock radio when i bought the car it came with a different radio...so i figured the stock radio was pushed back so to get to it..i need to pull out the radio i have now and find it . The guy at the dealership agreed with what i said and said he couldnt help me...So im happy that at least i know what the problem is and that i didnt spend any money on fixing it..just my time. Thanks for all ur help though i really appreciate it.
Old 02-17-2005, 05:28 AM   #6
Carcass
CF Newbie

Well Merenqueen, seems I have learned something out of this. Didn't think of unplugging the battery! Oh well, all isn't lost. Happy ur prob is fixed, and good luck!
Old 06-15-2009, 08:06 AM   #7
binclintonusa
CF Newbie

Hello all. I had one of my friends open the bottom of the dash..under the steering wheel .

pret auto
binclintonusa is offline   Reply With Quote