Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2005, 05:12 AM   #1
jonmck
CF Newbie

HELP! CD changer question - F57F-18C830-DC

Hi - I have a 1997 Mercury Mountaineer and it has a F57F-18C830-DC CD changer in it. It will accept the magazine and try to pull and play a CD....but it won't play. Almost sounds like it just isn't turning the CD or maybe that the mechanism that brings the CD up to the laser gets stuck??? Any ideas? Think this is fixable?

It will eject the magazine just fine as well. Once the changer tries to play a cd (after it has pulled it from the magazine).....and tries about 3-4 times....it will say CD E1 on the radio display. Then I have to eject the magazine.

Thanks again!
jonmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 05:15 AM   #2
jonmck
CF Newbie

I have removed it from the vehicle and can look around inside....but have not touched anything yet....as I don't know what to try and look at. Everything works fine until it pulls the CD and trys to move it down to play it. The CD does not turn and it looks like the CD tries to go down at an angle maybe??? Can really tell all that much. However, the motor gets a strain and then it puts the CD back in the magazine.....pulls it back out.....tries to go down to play it....it can't....so it puts it back in the magazine.

Thanks again!
jonmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 12:55 PM   #3
ppauley
CF Newbie

the E1 is a code that states the problem, take it to a Ford or Mercury dealership they can fix it per the code.
ppauley/ cobra freek
ppauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 01:39 AM   #4
supra92
CF Newbie

ford cd changer

Send it to get repair here

http://www.oemautosound.com/pc-44-57...5-to-1997.aspx
supra92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:02 PM   #5
valvestate
CF Newbie

when you say it tries 3-4 times, what do you mean exactly? if you can hear the cd spin up 3-4 times, its a read error. all cd drives attempt to read a few times before giving up. try a lens cleaning disc. if that doesnt work, the laser is dead or more likely the driver for the lens position/focus is toast like an original ps2. so its either dirty, a job for a hardcore DIYer or dealership, or its scrap.
valvestate is offline   Reply With Quote