Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2009, 06:41 PM   #1
jessetjames
CF Newbie

first car what to get??

Alright. as mentioned in the introduction I'm 17 and I'm shopping for my first car. I thought about getting a truck because i hunt and it would be very useful in many ways. But i enjoy cars way more and they have better gas millage and funner to drive so i focused my search on cars. But her is the thing i really don't know what to look or what to get. At the moment Im looking at Toyota MR2, Toyota celica (my bro already has and i dont really want to get the same thing),Mitsubishi 3000GT, Mazda miata,
Honda prelude. So any suggestions any comments on those cars would be great . I'm new to all of this so the more info the better

cheers

Jessetjames
jessetjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 02:08 AM   #2
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Get a ford ranger or chevy s10, you won't regret it. Good gas mileage comes with the 4 cylinders and a 5spd makes them fun.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:25 AM   #3
hhsrastler92
CF's Weekend Warrior

ha or a blazer, you can take them through hell an back and they still run ha

^My kids^
hhsrastler92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 02:37 AM   #4
jessetjames
CF Newbie

oops forgot to mention i dont want to spend more then 4 grand......also a s10 wouldn't be big enough to pull anything......and i think im going to go with a car just because there funner to drive, have good gas millage, and look cool
Old 08-05-2009, 03:22 AM   #5
corbett_auto
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessetjames
oops forgot to mention i dont want to spend more then 4 grand......also a s10 wouldn't be big enough to pull anything......and i think im going to go with a car just because there funner to drive, have good gas millage, and look cool

You shouldn't omit an S-10 just because you think it can not pull anything..... it can pull more than a car, right?

With that said get what will make you happy, and not others happy.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:20 AM   #6
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Go out. Drive a couple cars you like. Buy the one that feels the best. You'll know. It's zen...
Old 08-05-2009, 05:47 AM   #7
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer

If you don't know much about wrenching, then I wouldn't consider most of the cars on your list. Most notably the MR2 and the 3000GT. You might be able to get your hands on a decent "rustang" from early to mid 90's, which would probably a hell of a lot easier to fix then your other options, if it were to break down.

Other cars I would consider - Acura Integra(don't break down often) - Dodge Neon R/T(Decent factory power, easily upgradeable, easy to fix) - Mitsu Eclipse/Galant/Lancer(Don't come with the DSM plague) - Subie Impreza(if you can find it for the right price)

I still wouldn't discount the smaller truck lines though, as they said, the S10, the Ranger, Dakota, B2200 can all be had for cheap.
dodgerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 06:58 AM   #8
jessetjames
CF Newbie

aren't Mitsu Eclipse very unreliable though??? at least from what ive read and heard they are one of those cars to stay away from. just curious

cheers
jessetjames
Old 08-06-2009, 03:01 AM   #9
hhsrastler92
CF's Weekend Warrior

i just bought my first eclipse and i'm doing work to it, but when you hear things about cars you have to think about the people that drive them. eclipse's appeal to young drivers who are either learning to drive or trying to race. so of course a car's not gonna be reliable whenever you're dogging the hell out of it. i love my eclipse, only got to drive it home before the engine gave but it's what i get for buying from a kid ha. but with the exception of the engine everything is relatively cheap.

^My kids^
hhsrastler92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 06:51 AM   #10
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer

Quote:
aren't Mitsu Eclipse very unreliable though??? at least from what ive read and heard they are one of those cars to stay away from. just curious

cheers
jessetjames

1G and 2G were bad. They were part of the whole DSM endeavour, which is not exactly known for reliability. 3rd(2000-05) and 4th(06+) gens are alot better now.
dodgerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 05:11 PM   #11
jessetjames
CF Newbie

well looks like im back to square one found out the 3000gt isn't the most reliable car lol. so know im considering a MR2...are there any other car suggestions??? i can't really think of any other sweet sport cars i would get a miata but my rents wont let me get one because its to small
Old 08-10-2009, 05:16 PM   #12
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Quote:
well looks like im back to square one found out the 3000gt isn't the most reliable car lol. so know im considering a MR2...are there any other car suggestions??? i can't really think of any other sweet sport cars i would get a miata but my rents wont let me get one because its to small
You get a Miata and you lose a testicle. ::waits for a certain person to intervene::
Old 08-11-2009, 02:06 PM   #13
fudge
let's fighting love

You only lose a testicle if you drive in a Miata and use hair straighteners. Considering what I'm driving I should have grown a vagina by now...
Old 08-11-2009, 05:20 PM   #14
jessetjames
CF Newbie

hahaha ....alright so back on topic suggestions??
Old 08-11-2009, 07:58 PM   #15
Billy Mays
CF Newbie

You shouldn't get what qualifys for cash for clunkers right now. But i suggest a 2010 Ford F-150
Billy Mays is offline   Reply With Quote