Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2007, 10:04 PM   #1
aerith
@#$%ing bored out of mind

Canadian Price Disparity

I'm sure a lot of you have heard of the price disparity between purchasing a car in the great white north and purchasing a car south of the border. A price disparity that ranges from 15-32% more. And since the Canadian dollar has risen to parity, we Canucks are paying a lot more for essentially the same car. Recently, 4 men in Ontario has filed a class action suit against the Automakers of Canada for 2 billion dollars, concerning the price disparity, and any Canadian that has purchased a car within the last 2 years fulfills requirements to join. But obviously this class action will have no effect what so ever, since this will not go to court and will not get anymore attention than it already has.

I propose that we should instead start a petition, where we gather signatures/internet petitions, which states unless the automakers do something about the prices we will boycott purchasing new vehicles. I'm not saying that the price should drop to US prices, but at least within 5-10% of the US prices, we may be at parity now, but the CDN dollar might drop below once again, but not more than 5-10 cents/dollar within the next 5 years. I'm not asking the automakers to adjust their prices everytime there is a change in currency, but rather adjust it so that it at least fits with the recent trend.

The current prices are leftover from when the canadian dollar was worth 0.66 USD from a couple years ago. They were quick to change the prices when the currency exchange were not favorable to them, but refuse to alter the prices now.

I think if we get enough supporters, a boycott/petition would be effective, the problem is i have no clue about the legal things that are required, and the documents, etc, etc. So if anyone can give me a hand or take this idea and run with it. Please.

--2004 Acura TL Dynamic--

Last edited by aerith : 10-03-2007 at 10:07 PM.
aerith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 10:35 PM   #2
chris_knows
๑۩۞

I'd sign something like that. It's not a very serious issue here (I can buy a car from the U.S. because I'm so close, then just pay like $200 at the border), but for a lot of other areas it would be harder to do that.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:08 AM   #3
aerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
I'd sign something like that. It's not a very serious issue here (I can buy a car from the U.S. because I'm so close, then just pay like $200 at the border), but for a lot of other areas it would be harder to do that.

Yeah, I'm from Vancouver, so its pretty easy here too. But its the fact that we have to resort to doing that. And not all dealerships will sell to Canadians, Nissan dealerships under policy cannot sell to a Canadian. Also, imported cars become "gray market" cars without warranty, and resale will be much more difficult if the car is not a local car.

And also...miles and farenheit is just plain freaking annoying. Note to Americans, UK: LOOK AROUND YOU, NO ONE USES THE IMPERIAL SYSTEM ANYMORE. What logic is there to 12 inches to make a foot? That just makes professional work annoying.

Old 10-04-2007, 04:20 AM   #4
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer

Quote:

Have you ever actually researched the cost of getting a car from the US? It's definitely more then just 200$......considering you have to pay the GST to bring it across...or the 100$ A/C excise fee, as well as possibly have to make modifications to it to make it conform to be able to pass a safety to be registered in Canada...Or the fact that some US dealerships are not allowed to sell to Canadians under a clause from the manufacturer?

Anyways, beyond all that. I agree that there is definitely some issues regarding the cost of vehicles north and south of the 49th. I looked at an 04 Ram 1500 Laramie, and one here with HIGHER KM'S and LESS options then it's American Counterpart was nearly 15,000$ more
dodgerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 04:24 AM   #5
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-

Its amazing how many people are buying BMW's from across the border. We are getting tons in for Canadian programming, such as daytime running lights.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:29 AM   #6
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgerforlife
Have you ever actually researched the cost of getting a car from the US? It's definitely more then just 200$......considering you have to pay the GST to bring it across...or the 100$ A/C excise fee, as well as possibly have to make modifications to it to make it conform to be able to pass a safety to be registered in Canada...Or the fact that some US dealerships are not allowed to sell to Canadians under a clause from the manufacturer?

Anyways, beyond all that. I agree that there is definitely some issues regarding the cost of vehicles north and south of the 49th. I looked at an 04 Ram 1500 Laramie, and one here with HIGHER KM'S and LESS options then it's American Counterpart was nearly 15,000$ more
I looked on the customs website, and I don't recall seeing anything about GST or excess fees. Isn't it free if you bring it in as a gift though? My neighbour did that, and I don't think he had to pay anything.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:34 AM   #7
Mathew

Quote:
I looked on the customs website, and I don't recall seeing anything about GST or excess fees. Isn't it free if you bring it in as a gift though? My neighbour did that, and I don't think he had to pay anything.

Haha I'm sure they'd buy that....wave thousands of dollars in fees and taxes because you said it was a gift.

I'm not clear on it, but there are a lot of fees. Not enough to stay away though.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:41 AM   #8
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew
Haha I'm sure they'd buy that....wave thousands of dollars in fees and taxes because you said it was a gift.

I'm not clear on it, but there are a lot of fees. Not enough to stay away though.
I'm not exactly clear on what he did.

Here are the fees:
Quote:
Canada Border Services Agency will collect your nonrefundable Registrar of Imported Vehicles' fee of $195.00 + GST in all provinces except Quebec where it is $195.00 + GST and QST.

I've never bought a car in either country, but does anybody know what the taxes and stuff are?
Old 10-04-2007, 04:53 AM   #9
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerith
And also...miles and farenheit is just plain freaking annoying. Note to Americans, UK: LOOK AROUND YOU, NO ONE USES THE IMPERIAL SYSTEM ANYMORE. What logic is there to 12 inches to make a foot? That just makes professional work annoying.
I agree, I have some physics classes and it's annoying as hell seeing as many of our measurements are in the Imperial system while all of our formulas are not. It's not hard, just stupid conversions. I believe somewhere in the Emancipation Proclamation we declared that we would have our own system, and Americans don't like to change the Ye Olde documents too much, so it looks like it's staying. Honestly, who uses the "slug"?

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 04:59 AM   #10
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer

That's just to enter the vehicle into the RIV system...

"If your vehicle is eligible for importation into Canada according to both CBSA and Transport Canada requirements, you will have to pay import assessments that may include duty, excise tax and the 6% goods and services tax (GST). Provincial or territorial sales tax may apply when you license your vehicle."

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...f5048-eng.html

Then there's tons of other fees and shit that can tagged on.
dodgerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 08:35 AM   #11
aerith

Quote:
I'm not exactly clear on what he did.

Here are the fees:

I've never bought a car in either country, but does anybody know what the taxes and stuff are?

I have bought a car from south of the border before, its quite a hassle. Here's a breakdown:

Required Federal Process
1.) GST at the border or at customs where you pick up the car.
2.) $100 A/C Tax
3.) Large vehicles have to pay a tax(not sure how much, i imported a sedan)
4.) If the vehicle is not made in North America, you are also looking at a 8% customs tax.
5.) Federal inspection is free at your local Canadian Tire, but DRLs are required.

If you plan on importing to BC:
1.) Pay PST at time of insurance purchase.

I'm not sure about other provinces, but i heard that you need to change your odometer to metric, but you don't need that in BC. It adds up quite a bit, so unless the price disparity is large, like a luxury car for example, its not really worth it. Not to mention you lose your warranty, and your resale value drops. More reason for us to do something about the price disparity.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:41 AM   #12
aerith

Quote:
Its amazing how many people are buying BMW's from across the border. We are getting tons in for Canadian programming, such as daytime running lights.

How much does the program cost? And what things are done to the car? If the prices don't drop soon, I might purchase a car from the states; most likely X5 (although i want a MDX, but Honda is very uncooperative with across border purchases) and because of strong loonie, a loaded 3.0 X5 costs the same as a base MDX.

Old 10-05-2007, 03:05 AM   #13
Mathew

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerith
How much does the program cost? And what things are done to the car? If the prices don't drop soon, I might purchase a car from the states; most likely X5 (although i want a MDX, but Honda is very uncooperative with across border purchases) and because of strong loonie, a loaded 3.0 X5 costs the same as a base MDX.

I think its about an hour labour charge, which is about $110 for us. Not entirely sure though, I don't generally do programming except for DME updates. As for what is done to the car, the obvious one is DRL, I think there are a few other less obvious things, probably related to the computer knowing its now Canadian. Also, length and temp conversions are doable through the iDrive (on board computer), though the speedo will still be imperial.

I think X5's are made N America, so you wouldn't have to pay the extra fees. Once again though, not 100% sure.

Nice choice BTW, the new X5 is a HUGE improvement over the last.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:18 AM   #14
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by giant016
Honestly, who uses the "slug"?
it's all about chains, rods and hogsheads.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:24 AM   #15
aerith

Quote:
I think its about an hour labour charge, which is about $110 for us. Not entirely sure though, I don't generally do programming except for DME updates. As for what is done to the car, the obvious one is DRL, I think there are a few other less obvious things, probably related to the computer knowing its now Canadian. Also, length and temp conversions are doable through the iDrive (on board computer), though the speedo will still be imperial.

I think X5's are made N America, so you wouldn't have to pay the extra fees. Once again though, not 100% sure.

Nice choice BTW, the new X5 is a HUGE improvement over the last.

Yeah, the X5 is pretty good, but i still prefer the Acura, more bang for buck. It totally bested the last gen X5 (6 cylinder) , and i heard its still slightly better than this generation, at least on the track due to more power and the superior AWD system. Also, the MDX has better rear seats, i've sat in the second row of the new X5; it's pretty average, but the second row in the MDX is front seat quality, with heavy padding and good support.