Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2009, 11:18 PM   #1
kwalsh24
CF Newbie

99 sunfire GT wont crank at key.

Hey all, I did some searching on the forum to see if anyone had come across the issue that I have had happen to my friends sunfire that I am attempting to fix. The car was running perfectly fine last Wednesday, he went out to it thursday morning went to start it and nothing, the starter didn't click didn't do anything. All the lights were turning on and everything seemed normal. It is a 99 GT automatic with 230km on it. The issue is the engine will not crank period when you try to start the car with the key there is no clicking from the starter relay on the rad support or from the starter. So I tested the neutral safety switch by putting the car in neutral and np different, back in park no different. So next I attempted to bypass the key and rant 12V constant to the yellow starter line At the ignition switch and the car started then died cause the anti theft kicked in. Now before doing all this I did notice that the anti theft light was lit up and stayed on when the key was on and never went out. After doing the jumper of the starter wire the anti theft light was flashing. I then turned the key off let the car sit turn the key on and left the car on for 10 min to reset the anti theft but still no change the car wouldn't crank At key. Also a note the key for the car is a non chipped key and there are no modifications done to the car, all stock. Anyone have any ideas as to what the issue is? Could it be the anti theft killing the keystart? Is there a anti theft work around? Just need to get this issue resolve! Thanks!
kwalsh24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 12:00 AM   #2
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Had a similar problem with my MBZ this last week. Turned out to be a fuse for the starter relay. Check all your fuses?

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote