Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2004, 04:33 AM   #1
i_smell_bacon
CF Newbie

Exclamation Rusty Coolant

I have a 91 Ford Crown Victoria former Police Interceptor. Apparently, whoever owned it before me ran straight water instead of coolant in the system, so there's a signifigant amount of rust in the system. A few months ago, I drained and flushed the system for hours until the water coming out ran clear, but it was just rusty again after a few minutes of running the engine. Last week, I replaced the radiator and, while it was off, took out the thermostat and ran water through the engine until it was clear again, replaced everything and put brand new coolant in. Of course, it was that same dark brown/orange color again when I checked it the next day. Is there anything I can do short of replacing the engine to permanently get this rust out? Any help would be appreciated.
i_smell_bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 04:48 AM   #2
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_smell_bacon
I have a 91 Ford Crown Victoria former Police Interceptor. Apparently, whoever owned it before me ran straight water instead of coolant in the system, so there's a signifigant amount of rust in the system. A few months ago, I drained and flushed the system for hours until the water coming out ran clear, but it was just rusty again after a few minutes of running the engine. Last week, I replaced the radiator and, while it was off, took out the thermostat and ran water through the engine until it was clear again, replaced everything and put brand new coolant in. Of course, it was that same dark brown/orange color again when I checked it the next day. Is there anything I can do short of replacing the engine to permanently get this rust out? Any help would be appreciated.
It's always nice to use the 'Introduce Yourself' sectioon before asking for help, people will be more willing to advise you if you do!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 08:55 AM   #3
cinqyg
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_smell_bacon

have you ever done a rebuild
cinqyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 09:38 PM   #4
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinqyg
have you ever done a rebuild
Dude.........

Remove thermostat. Get you some flush, 2 bottles. Run all your coolant out, flush with water till clear. Pour 2 bottles of flush in the radiator. fill with water, run engine till radiator hoses pressurize. Allow engine to cool, drain water/flush out of engine with engine running and hose in radiator. Flush, flush flush that stuff out good. Fill with water again. No flush this time. Run till hoses get hard. Allow to cool, drain water out of block and radiator. Put in your thermostat. Fill radiator with the proper coolant and water mix. Your good to go. If it gets dirty again, (which I seriously doubt) you're jynxed
DodgeRida67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 10:24 PM   #5
cinqyg
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeRida67
Dude.........

Remove thermostat. Get you some flush, 2 bottles. Run all your coolant out, flush with water till clear. Pour 2 bottles of flush in the radiator. fill with water, run engine till radiator hoses pressurize. Allow engine to cool, drain water/flush out of engine with engine running and hose in radiator. Flush, flush flush that stuff out good. Fill with water again. No flush this time. Run till hoses get hard. Allow to cool, drain water out of block and radiator. Put in your thermostat. Fill radiator with the proper coolant and water mix. Your good to go. If it gets dirty again, (which I seriously doubt) you're jynxed

sounds like your going to be needing alot of antifreeze!
Old 05-20-2004, 10:28 PM   #6
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
sounds like your going to be needing alot of antifreeze!
And why would he need anymore than normal?
Old 05-20-2004, 10:32 PM   #7
cinqyg
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeRida67
And why would he need anymore than normal?

im to tired dodge can i argue with u tommorrow?
Old 05-20-2004, 10:35 PM   #8
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
im to tired dodge can i argue with u tommorrow?
Who said anything about arguing?
Old 05-21-2004, 04:59 AM   #9
KNTRDR
CF Newbie

Okay I know I'm new here, but seeing as how I work in a lube shop and I service coolant systems on an almost daily basis...

Get a professional chemical radiator flush. If you live in the vicinity of a JiffyLube or a Mr. Lube(Canada only), go to them. They'll hook up your rad to a machine, flush the entire system with a chemical that dissolves rust and scale buildup from old coolant, then recharge the system with new coolant. That way, the entire system, and not just the rad and the coolant lines in the engine block get cleaned, but also the heater core and heater hoses.

If it keeps changing color, you either have a messed up car or possibly oil is leaking into your coolant through a blown head gasket or something. Cops don't seem to take very good care of their cars, they just drive them to 100,000k's and dump them.

P.S. Also always make sure you have the right mixture of water and coolant, or you will just cause more rust buildup. 50/50.
Old 05-21-2004, 11:38 AM   #10
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNTRDR
Okay I know I'm new here, but seeing as how I work in a lube shop and I service coolant systems on an almost daily basis...

Get a professional chemical radiator flush. If you live in the vicinity of a JiffyLube or a Mr. Lube(Canada only), go to them. They'll hook up your rad to a machine, flush the entire system with a chemical that dissolves rust and scale buildup from old coolant, then recharge the system with new coolant. That way, the entire system, and not just the rad and the coolant lines in the engine block get cleaned, but also the heater core and heater hoses.

If it keeps changing color, you either have a messed up car or possibly oil is leaking into your coolant through a blown head gasket or something. Cops don't seem to take very good care of their cars, they just drive them to 100,000k's and dump them.

P.S. Also always make sure you have the right mixture of water and coolant, or you will just cause more rust buildup. 50/50.

I think the main point to be made is to flush the coolant system thoroughly whether he takes the car to Jiffy Lube or use the Prestone's kit sold at Autozone, NAPA, Walmart, etc (replacing the heater hose you tee into when you are through since I personally dont like leaving these things permanently under the hood)

The 50%-50% ethelyne glycol base antifreeze - water mix is important since the a corrosion inhibitor additive package which helps prevents rust and corrosion. Unless the car uses Dex-cool or one of the other long life anti-freezes, the coolant should be changed every 36000 miles (this is also a good time to look @ the condition of the radiator and heater hoses and change them if necessary). If Dex-cool or one of the other long life antifreezes is used, then the cooling system flush can occur @ 60000 miles.

keep in mind antifreeze will kill animals and plants thus proper containment and legal disposal of the old antifreeze is required.

Last edited by tbaxleyjr : 05-21-2004 at 11:41 AM.
tbaxleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 11:51 AM   #11
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire

If you are talking about department cars and company fleet cars, most owners of these fleets look @ maintenance as an expense which makes no money for the firm or organization. They also follow parctices which involve running the vehicle 100K - 150K miles and reselling the car with minimal maintenance. In their business cases, this is more economical than running the car 300K miles and incurr large amounts of repair costs. If you are commenting about your P. D., are you willing to pay additional sales, property, and income taxes to change the practices?
tbaxleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 07:30 PM   #12
cinqyg
CF Freak

It works the other way around here, they maintain the cars really well,i guess its because cars cost more here, and they dont use them as battering rams. They are just starting to switch all the cop cars from white to silver to reduce the depretiation at the moment they just cant shift there white cars. Most of the traffic cop cars do 150,000 miles in 2 or so years and they are really well cared for. Mainly bcause they use V70, Merc M class, Range Rovers, BMW's. All of which are 30k-60k they also have a tendency to chip and uprate the suspentions and brakes.
Old 05-21-2004, 07:34 PM   #13
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
It works the other way around here, they maintain the cars really well,i guess its because cars cost more here, and they dont use them as battering rams. They are just starting to switch all the cop cars from white to silver to reduce the depretiation at the moment they just cant shift there white cars. Most of the traffic cop cars do 150,000 miles in 2 or so years and they are really well cared for. Mainly bcause they use V70, Merc M class, Range Rovers, BMW's. All of which are 30k-60k they also have a tendency to chip and uprate the suspentions and brakes.
They maintain them well, but drive the sh*t out of them. Police chases are not easy on cars, just think of how fast they hit railroad tracks. They practically stop, floor the gas, stop, floor the gas on chases. Whoever would think a retired cop car is a good deal is well, not completely in-touch with reality. Maintaining and driving are two different things. The way they drive them makes them a load of crap when they're done. Ask yourself, hey, why are they getting rid of them?
Old 05-21-2004, 07:58 PM   #14
cinqyg
CF Freak

as i said diffrent culture of driving here, we dont have guns, most people stop, so the only bad thing about them is there high milers.
Old 05-21-2004, 08:03 PM   #15
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
as i said diffrent culture of driving here, we dont have guns, most people stop, so the only bad thing about them is there high milers.

B
Bu
Bul
Bull
Bulls
Bullsh
Bullsh*
Bullsh*t
BULLSH*T!