Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > Off Topic
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2010, 08:05 PM   #1
Inygknok
El del Supra

TV shows and anime

Sometimes, I actually get tired of winning in Modern Warfare 2 and generally playing Xbox late at night, so I sit down to watch tv on the PC or anime.

Been asking on my facebook for good shows, but seems I only have like 2 friends that are competent enough to give me new ideas instead of mentioning the shows they know I'm already watching.

So anyone got any GOOD ideas?

I've kept up with shows like House, Dexter, Scrubs, Grey's Anatomy, Nip/Tuck, Rescue Me, Top Gear, Prison Break, and the list goes on for a while, but that's a general idea.

As for anime.... that's a lot I've watched throughout the years. Darker than Black, Black Cat, Berserk, Dragonball, a few of the Gundams (8th MS Team was the best along with Stardust), Tekkaman Blade, Busou Renkin, Outlaw Star, Gungrave, D. Gray-Man, Full Metal Panic. I'm mostly into the comedies, bloody, and mecha themes on this.

So yeah... this should get a few people talking. In the meantime, I'm going to watch this week's House on megavideo.

Supra: To surpass or go beyond.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:13 PM   #2
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

What about some Looney Tunes or Merrie Melodies, some Hanna Barbera...?

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:00 AM   #3
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer

Friday Night Lights, Smallville and Cougartown get my vote. I already watch several of the shows you mentioned(Dexter, Scrubs, House).

I don't quite know if this would be your style, but Legend of the Seeker - It follows the Sword of Truth series written by Terry Goodkind.

If you need something to laugh at, Jersey Shore.

Bav - I have all of Fraggle Rock and Animaniacs stashed on DVD's somewhere. I'll probably end up getting Looney Tunes, and the original TMNT as well. Going to save them for my nieces and nephews and my future kids. Some of that shit on TV today scares me.
dodgerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 01:33 AM   #4
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgerforlife
Some of that shit on TV today scares me.

All the old school cartoon shorts were intended for adults as the themes, sexual/racial innuendos and stereotypes suggest. Most of those cartoons I laughed at as a child, but it wasn't until I was older that I understood the comedy within. Still laugh at those cartoons when I run across them on Cartoon Network. I don't care for much after the mid to late '70s.

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 05:41 AM   #5
nighthawk
Part Time Active User

I've been watching How I met your mother now for a while, and Two and a half men as well. Both funny shows

As for anime, When I was younger one of my friend's brothers had the first 140 episodes or so of Naruto and we watched all of them and I still think it's a really good anime.

Dragon ball Z seemed great but watching it now is hilarious.

"There is a big difference between being fast and powerful and just being loud and annoying."
nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:09 AM   #6
Inygknok
El del Supra

I read the Naruto manga, the anime is too slow. Same with Bleach and a few others that continue in manga version after the anime is done (Berserk and Claymore come to mind).

Every now and then I watch a Merry Melodies show on Youtube. It's a world of difference when you finally get all the actual jokes.

How is "how I met your mother" good? I've heard a lot about it but never got around to even watching one single episode.

As for laughing, I like shows like "Big Bang Theory" and.... well, Scrubs.

Old 02-11-2010, 03:05 PM   #7
nighthawk
Part Time Active User

How I met your mother is just a really funny sitcom about 3 guys and two girls in their 20's. It's told by the main character in the year 2030 who starts every episode talking to his future kids about how he met their mother.

It runs like that for every episode, there's 7 or so seasons right now and they still havent introduced her. It's a really good show though.

"There is a big difference between being fast and powerful and just being loud and annoying."
Old 02-11-2010, 05:01 PM   #8
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk
I've been watching How I met your mother now for a while, and Two and a half men as well. Both funny shows

As for anime, When I was younger one of my friend's brothers had the first 140 episodes or so of Naruto and we watched all of them and I still think it's a really good anime.

Dragon ball Z seemed great but watching it now is hilarious.

I forgot all about Two and A Half Men. D'oh!
Old 02-11-2010, 06:11 PM   #9
chris_knows
๑۩۞

The only things I really watch on TV is Discovery Channel and CNN, since I can just download everything and skip the commercials, but the only shows I keep up with are Entourage, The Office, and Soutpark.
Other than that, there's a lot of interesting channels on Youtube that are more interesting than TV.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:02 PM   #10
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
The only things I really watch on TV is Discovery Channel and CNN, since I can just download everything and skip the commercials, but the only shows I keep up with are Entourage, The Office, and Soutpark.
Other than that, there's a lot of interesting channels on Youtube that are more interesting than TV.

Uhhh, you can download most of the Discovery programming as well - I have all of How It's Made and Mythbusters

I don't actually watch TV....I just torrent the shows.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:19 AM   #11
Inygknok
El del Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgerforlife
Uhhh, you can download most of the Discovery programming as well - I have all of How It's Made and Mythbusters

I don't actually watch TV....I just torrent the shows.

^ x2

Old 02-12-2010, 04:03 PM   #12
chris_knows
๑۩۞

I don't really care for Mythbusters and stuff that much though...If something interesting's on, I'll watch it, otherwise I go to CNN lol.
Also, am I the only one that tries to avoid torrents? My internet's capped at 60GB, and it sucks to have to share as much as I download, so I've been using sites like megaupload and megashares a lot more. Download speeds are extremely fast if you can find the file you're looking for...
Old 02-12-2010, 05:40 PM   #13
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer

I have absolutely no cap on my net here, it's a beautiful thing.

That and being set for 40MBit speeds is also beautiful.

I'm sure we average roughly 300gb down every month.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:39 AM   #14
Inygknok
El del Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
I don't really care for Mythbusters and stuff that much though...If something interesting's on, I'll watch it, otherwise I go to CNN lol.
Also, am I the only one that tries to avoid torrents? My internet's capped at 60GB, and it sucks to have to share as much as I download, so I've been using sites like megaupload and megashares a lot more. Download speeds are extremely fast if you can find the file you're looking for...

Streaming data also counts towards bandwidth limits. Data transferred is data transferred UNLESS your ISP has a configuration to identify torrents specifically somehow. I know some ISP's block out certain downloaders automatically.

I changed ISP's at home to get rid of the old bandwidth cap I used to have at 40GB. Unlimited now.

There's a lot of good shit on tv that's worthwhile downloading.

Old 02-14-2010, 06:49 PM   #15
nighthawk
Part Time Active User

I forgot to mention trailer park boys. seriously worth watching all 7 seasons