Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2010, 11:13 PM   #16
azkid110
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdrose18
You would be better off getting a motor bike that gets 3 times your MPG , have reliable transportation, a backup vehicle to use in bad weather/hauling large objects, and only have to spend several thousand dollars max....

yeah, I'm just thinking out loud with these idea's, and probably will not tear into the jeep too much (because its my dads car), your advice is very practical, and I am thinking about getting a smaller car, when I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
First, make sure that all of your maintenance items are 100% up to date and done right. This includes fluid types and levels as well as underhood items such as ignition components and filters
Second, don't do the "warm up" thing.
Third, don't flog it.
Fourth, don't use drive thrus, or shut it off while waiting.
Fifth, crank up the tire pressures to the maximum listed on the sidewall.
Sixth, drop the driveshaft to the front differential.

all good advice from the master as well, 1-4 check, I need to check my tire pressure, and I thought about removing the front drive shaft the last time I was under it, but the chain in the transfer case is broken and gone already so it isn't connected to anything there, so I thought it wouldn't give very much improvement. Might more benefit be made by removing the ring gear on the front axle? Not that I'm going to go that far with it, because I want 4wd in the future, just a thought. I'll check out the haynes repair manual, if the front driveshaft isn't very difficult to remove, I will go ahead and take it out to see if it helps.

Thanks for the input guys, keep it coming.

Going on about the last idea I had about changing up the injectors, I thought last night, about modifying the signal from the o2 sensor, to make the ECU think the engine is running rich, so it will try to correct it by leaning out the mixture, and less gas goes into the engine = better mileage. Or to do the same kind of thing, I could partially cover the o2 sensor with foil, so less exhaust can come in contact with the sensor, and it would give a lower than normal o2 reading (it would think it is running rich) so it would correct by running leaner. Or what may happen is the ecu would think the sensor is now faulty and run on predetermined specifications for fuel delivery , I would hope for a more interesting outcome then that though. If it works, I wouldn't have to modify anything else, the ecu would do the work for me and run the engine leaner than normal... after that, other mods can be made to keep it running happy whilst being leaner.
azkid110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:45 PM   #17
fudge
let's fighting love

Although stuff like these are best left to the professionals who have the budget and resources to test out new technologies, I still do admire your willingness to try out different things. Even if it won't work or give very little improvements at least you're learning more from this and who knows where this leads you in the future.

Dunno about the US but in europe we have the choice of converting our cars to liquid petroleum gas. It may not give as much range as unleaded petrol or diesel but it is half the price and has a high octane rating which leads to higher compression ratio or turbo boost to offset this disadvantage. Ford has used it to very good effect in the British touring car championship this year. Main problem is few petrol stations sell them so journeys need to be planned carefully to not come up short.

Even though I'm not a fan of hybrid cars, you can't deny their potential. I've been shown the latest performance hybrid systems as used on Lemans racers at Zytek and the KERS system which they develop for Mclaren F1. It is a very impressive albeit highly complex piece of engineering and the results show with a hybrid Porsche almost winning the Nurburgring 24hours outright this year.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:58 AM   #18
azkid110
CF Enthusiast

Thanks fudge, I consider myself a thinker, I want to make cars better, more efficient, and cleaner, I hope one day I can show something for my effort.

I've heard of LPG conversion, but am unsure of the limitations or smog legality of it here in the states. I would like to try all kinds of fuels, just as long as they can be clean burning, and easy to produce or are readily available. I will do some research on LPG and see what I come up with.

Yeah I think hybrids are great, and some of the hybrid technology that has been coming out is impressive, like the KERS you mentioned. I would like to see more races limit the amount of fuel allowed, like a 2 gallon 200 mile race, it may start out boring and slow, but with enough engineering and developement, it could start a competitive and challenging race, which would likely have an impact on new cars for the street. Unlike nascar, where the cars get 6 or 7 miles per gallon, and are running on 50+ year old engine technology.

Last edited by azkid110 : 06-30-2010 at 07:40 AM.
Old 07-03-2010, 05:23 AM   #19
azkid110
CF Enthusiast

vwhobo! Thanks for the advice on removing the front drive shaft, you definitely have the right idea, I've been having a noise issue, a ticking noise which would happen while decelerating, braking, going into dips, I suspected it was the front drive shaft because I didn't feel anything in the pedal, and it ticked with the speed of the drive train. so I marked the relationships with some paint, and removed it, then test drove and immediately noticed it was faster, then hit the brakes and the noise was gone! problem solved! after inspecting the drive shaft I wasn't surprised, it didn't feel smooth, was very dirty, and the joints made noise moving them around by hand. I'm very happy with the result, the jeep feels a lot better to drive, it coasts longer, and is faster, I'm sure this will help my gas mileage as well!

Last edited by azkid110 : 07-03-2010 at 05:47 AM.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:27 PM   #20
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by azkid110
Yeah I think hybrids are great, and some of the hybrid technology that has been coming out is impressive, like the KERS you mentioned. I would like to see more races limit the amount of fuel allowed, like a 2 gallon 200 mile race, it may start out boring and slow, but with enough engineering and developement, it could start a competitive and challenging race, which would likely have an impact on new cars for the street. Unlike nascar, where the cars get 6 or 7 miles per gallon, and are running on 50+ year old engine technology.
I had the privilege of competing in the SAE Supermilage Competition this year. It is similar to your train of thought, except the speeds are regulated to be very low (although you wouldn't want to go fast since drag force is a squared function where doubling speed = quadrupling drag force). It becomes a competion less about engine innovations and more about minimizing drag or specifically rolling well. This unfortunately has little impact on cars on the street as far as I have seen. Most car manufacturers seem to show off new engine developments rather than new bearing developments. Just by testing different bearing in real world applications we were able to roll about 25% further than last year. Good luck getting a 25% increase in efficiency from an engine unless it is not running properly.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote