Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2004, 04:51 AM   #1
KNTRDR
CF Newbie

Z-Max & Lucas

Okay, so recently I've been using Castrol GTX High Mileage oil plus Lucas Oil Stabilizer in my car. Now, I've been hearing good things about "Z-Max" lately. First of all, does anyone here use it, and what's your opinion of it? Second, I'm coming up on an oil change and I'm considering trying Z-Max, but I don't know whether or not I should stop using Lucas, or if I can use them at the same time. I've emailed Z-Max and they haven't seen fit to get back to me yet. So I just wanted someone else's opinion.

Thoughts?
Old 05-21-2004, 05:40 PM   #2
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNTRDR
Okay, so recently I've been using Castrol GTX High Mileage oil plus Lucas Oil Stabilizer in my car. Now, I've been hearing good things about "Z-Max" lately. First of all, does anyone here use it, and what's your opinion of it? Second, I'm coming up on an oil change and I'm considering trying Z-Max, but I don't know whether or not I should stop using Lucas, or if I can use them at the same time. I've emailed Z-Max and they haven't seen fit to get back to me yet. So I just wanted someone else's opinion.

Thoughts?
What good things did you hear about Z-Max and what are you hoping it will do for you?
DodgeRida67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 02:14 AM   #3
KNTRDR
CF Newbie

Well from several people who have used it, I've heard that it seems to generally improve the operation of the engine and transmission. I'm more or less hoping it would do the same for me.

Have you heard otherwise?
Old 05-22-2004, 02:20 AM   #4
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
Well from several people who have used it, I've heard that it seems to generally improve the operation of the engine and transmission. I'm more or less hoping it would do the same for me.

Have you heard otherwise?
I havn't heard otherwise, althought I do know otherwise.

Engine oil does not help the performance of an engine if your already using what recommended. Some oils, (for a few Ford & Honda engines) do improve on gas mileage due to less crank drag. It's thinner oil. The gas mileage savings is into the .01 of a gallon. It's not worth it. I stick with my regular 10W30. But anyway, it won't do you any good. Just stick with whats recommended for your vehicle's engine. And the part about helping the transmission is just funny. Glad you came and asked first. Now here comes the controversy...
DodgeRida67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 02:26 AM   #5
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire

The controversy is here!!!!

Some people swear by Lucas and other additives, others don't.

I am a little leary of oil additives in the lube oil system. Most good oils meeting API service class SL have all of the additives they need to adequatly protect the engine. The additive package in the lube oil are several additives mixed together and tested as a whole. Adding another additive may cause the overall oil + additive package to perform worse than if left alone.

The same thing goes for tranny additives
tbaxleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 02:42 AM   #6
shekky
CF Newbie

my friends car had a leak in the tranny pan. the car would not move because of low pressure. he poured in the tranny stuff. it poured right out the bottom.
however, he was able to drive the car home.

another friend poured the lucas in his tranny and it almost instantly made his tranny more responsive.

an endorsement? i don't know.
shekky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 02:46 AM   #7
KNTRDR
CF Newbie

Z-Max *CLAIMS* that it's compatible with all motor oils, synthetic and non synthetic. Supposedly Z-Max molecules are so small they can get into tiny cracks and nicks in metal, effectively soaking into whatever they are put into. Oil molecules are larger and can't enter such spaces. I've heard some bad things from multiple internet searches, but from people who have used it, I have heard good things about what it did for their cars.
Old 05-22-2004, 02:51 AM   #8
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Z-Max *CLAIMS* that it's compatible with all motor oils, synthetic and non synthetic. Supposedly Z-Max molecules are so small they can get into tiny cracks and nicks in metal, effectively soaking into whatever they are put into. Oil molecules are larger and can't enter such spaces. I've heard some bad things from multiple internet searches, but from people who have used it, I have heard good things about what it did for their cars.
I've never heard of 'Z-Max' myself as It's not sold in the UK. I personally dont believe any oil or fuel aditives work, I think it's all just a money making ploy, of cause I could be wrong, but none of that stuff ever seems to work for me, not even the most expensive stuff! Over here we have a firm called 'Protec' who market that sort of stuff....anyway, some of that stuff costs 30 a tin and is supposed to have been proven to work, I even have trouble believing that

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 02:52 AM   #9
KNTRDR
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekky
my friends car had a leak in the tranny pan. the car would not move because of low pressure. he poured in the tranny stuff. it poured right out the bottom.
however, he was able to drive the car home.

another friend poured the lucas in his tranny and it almost instantly made his tranny more responsive.

an endorsement? i don't know.

I like Lucas, both the oil additive and the power steering stop leak additive. My car had a steering leak for a couple of years, and I'd have to top it up every week or so...I put the power steering stop leak into it and since then I haven't had to top it up at all. That was a couple of months ago now. And the engine seems to run smoother now with the Lucas in it.

As for the oil additive, after 4800 kilometers (3000 miles) the oil still looks like gold, whereas before, without it the oil would be dark brown by now. And in my opinion the engine runs smoother now. Lucas is also supposed to cling to engine parts to keep them lubricated when the engine is not running, to prevent dry starts. So up to now I'm pretty happy with the Lucas. I just wonder if the Z-Max would even be worth experimenting with.

More thoughts, people, please.
Old 05-22-2004, 04:43 AM   #10
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire

Oil is supposed to get dirty - the black is the filth and combustion products being held in suspension in the oil b the detergent/dispersant additives - this is why the oil needs to be changed occasionally
Old 05-22-2004, 04:45 AM   #11
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaxleyjr
Oil is supposed to get dirty - the black is the filth and combustion products being held in suspension in the oil b the detergent/dispersant additives - this is why the oil needs to be changed occasionally
You can also expect engine oil to get dirty almost instantly after changing it, although it's black in colour, it's still as good as new

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Old 05-22-2004, 05:04 AM   #12
KNTRDR
CF Newbie

Quite true, BUT since I've put the Lucas in, the oil has stayed relatively clean, whereas before by the time 3000miles was up, it was dirty as hell.

I'm not saying for sure that the Lucas makes the engine run cleaner BUT it's hard for me to deny that since I've put it in there's a noticeable difference in the condition of the oil at the end of its lifespan.
Old 05-22-2004, 05:28 AM   #13
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Quite true, BUT since I've put the Lucas in, the oil has stayed relatively clean, whereas before by the time 3000miles was up, it was dirty as hell.

I'm not saying for sure that the Lucas makes the engine run cleaner BUT it's hard for me to deny that since I've put it in there's a noticeable difference in the condition of the oil at the end of its lifespan.
Sorry if you've already stated this, but what's the current mileage of your car?

Old 05-22-2004, 09:24 AM   #14
stamar
CF Newbie

you know this reminds me of a question I have about additives.
stamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 12:09 PM   #15
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire

[quote=KNTRDR]Quite true, BUT since I've put the Lucas in, the oil has stayed relatively clean, whereas before by the time 3000miles was up, it was dirty as hell.

I'm not saying for sure that the Lucas makes the engine run cleaner BUT it's hard for me to deny that since I've put it in there's a noticeable difference in the condition of the oil at the end of its lifespan.[/QUOTE

Just be careful the additives you are adding aren't interfereing with the dispersant/detergent package in the lube oil