Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2005, 01:36 AM   #1
soniclife
CF Newbie

99 Cavalier + Battery Light

Hey all.

I hope you can help me. While out driving today in my 99 Cavalier the battery light came on and remained on. After stopping for a little while there was a little trouble restarting the engine, but the car drove and handled fine once running. To the best of my knowledge the battery has never been replaced in the car. Any ideas on what this could be?
soniclife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 02:08 AM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by soniclife
Hey all.

I hope you can help me. While out driving today in my 99 Cavalier the battery light came on and remained on. After stopping for a little while there was a little trouble restarting the engine, but the car drove and handled fine once running. To the best of my knowledge the battery has never been replaced in the car. Any ideas on what this could be?
Don't consider this to be a diagnosis, rather pointing you in the right direction. Seeing as the battery is six years old that could very well be the problem, but... Your car also has a history of alternators only lasting 100k or so miles. The main thing you need to know at this point is that running your car with a crapped out battery can quickly kill a good alternator because it's working extra hard trying to charge the bad battery.

This is a job that your local Advance, AutoZone, Pep Boy's, etc can normally handle. Take it to them and request a starting/charging/battery test. This SHOULD tell you what's wrong if properly done. The bonus is that if you need a battery they'll also install it for free.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 02:24 AM   #3
soniclife
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Don't consider this to be a diagnosis, rather pointing you in the right direction. Seeing as the battery is six years old that could very well be the problem, but... Your car also has a history of alternators only lasting 100k or so miles. The main thing you need to know at this point is that running your car with a crapped out battery can quickly kill a good alternator because it's working extra hard trying to charge the bad battery.

This is a job that your local Advance, AutoZone, Pep Boy's, etc can normally handle. Take it to them and request a starting/charging/battery test. This SHOULD tell you what's wrong if properly done. The bonus is that if you need a battery they'll also install it for free.

Thanks for the quick response! If it is the alternator, do you have any idea what that would run me?
soniclife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 02:31 AM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by soniclife
Thanks for the quick response! If it is the alternator, do you have any idea what that would run me?
Too many variables. It depends on which engine you have (2.2 or 2.4), quality of the replacement part, new, remanufactured or used, labor rates where you live, etc. Suffice it to say the low end will probably $150 and the high end $400. Just keep in mind the lowest price is seldom the best deal in the long run.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 04-10-2005, 02:34 AM   #5
osborste
the canuck tech

Quote:
Too many variables. It depends on which engine you have (2.2 or 2.4), quality of the replacement part, new, remanufactured or used, labor rates where you live, etc. Suffice it to say the low end will probably $150 and the high end $400. Just keep in mind the lowest price is seldom the best deal in the long run.

my 97 malibu used a bosch alt cost me 450.00 cdn with a 5yr warranty installed myself

without seeing or hearing your problem all i can do is offer advice on what to check
my new toy

<Link removed>......Please read the rules on advertising!
osborste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 02:49 AM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by osborste
my 97 malibu used a bosch alt cost me 450.00 cdn with a 5yr warranty installed myself
Well as usual we're having to work with alot of assumptions. A reman alternator for a Cav shouldn't cost more than $150 over the counter, somewhat more at a shop.

$450 for an alternator on your car is absolutely ludicrous, even with your funny money. I can get a new one from the dealer for half that, one third in the aftermarket.

Old 04-10-2005, 02:55 AM   #7
osborste
the canuck tech

Quote:
Well as usual we're having to work with alot of assumptions. A reman alternator for a Cav shouldn't cost more than $150 over the counter, somewhat more at a shop.

$450 for an alternator on your car is absolutely ludicrous, even with your funny money. I can get a new one from the dealer for half that, one third in the aftermarket.

got it after hours parts stores closed had to buy it at canadian tire and it was the right one and the only one on the weekend perfect timing to breakdown

without seeing or hearing your problem all i can do is offer advice on what to check
my new toy

Old 04-10-2005, 02:57 AM   #8
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
got it after hours parts stores closed had to buy it at canadian tire and it was the right one and the only one on the weekend perfect timing to breakdown
Well I guess the only thing I can say to that is, OUCH. Lucky for me I own a parts store... But I don't have a key.

Old 04-10-2005, 03:00 AM   #9
osborste
the canuck tech

Quote:
Well I guess the only thing I can say to that is, OUCH. Lucky for me I own a parts store... But I don't have a key.

all the parts no way to get to them thats very funny

my new toy

Old 04-10-2005, 03:07 AM   #10
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
all the parts no way to get to them thats very funny
And I pay full pop (no discount) on everything. My only break is they trust me on the core. I think that's only because I sign (figuratively speaking) their paychecks.

Old 04-10-2005, 03:15 AM   #11
osborste
the canuck tech

Quote:
And I pay full pop (no discount) on everything. My only break is they trust me on the core. I think that's only because I sign (figuratively speaking) their paychecks.

during hours my part's store give's me the net price so i have to be thankful for that. it doesn't cost me a fortune to keep my car and van on the road

my new toy