Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Classic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2002, 10:36 AM   #1

building a classic car

what are the current laws that permit a vehicle to slip through emissions and street legality regulations? i know you can run straight pipes on any vehicle made before 1974 or whenever. you can also put superchargers on it and make it around 900hp for a pro street. but what about all those people who build hot rods with tons of power and get away with it. they are'nt even remotely similar to the original car. couldn't someone build a modern supercar, put an old engine in it and call it a 1969 corvette? i really need to know the laws on this kinda stuff and where to find it. i am seriously considering a project of the sort with fiberglass molding for the body and alluminum welded chassis. 8)
Old 11-04-2002, 05:20 PM   #2
Mountain914

The real answer is defined mostly by where you live. The state/city you live in has specific laws (In Colorado, it's by County).
For example, Denver area requires emissions, but it's emissioned by the year of the engine. I'm helping a buddy build a CalSpyder (Ferrari Daytona Spider replica - http://www.calspyder.com) and as long as you pick a pre-emissions engine (72 or earlier) you only need to meet the specifications for that engine (i.e. a charcoal canister). However, most emissions shops won't go into that far, depending.
If you pick an newer engine (say, 1983) then you are required to have catalytic convertor(s) - and that's something that an emission shop WOULD see.
So, what area do you live in, and perhaps someone from that area could reply. There are also a lot of good online resources that the States put up regarding such things. (try yahoo - government - state, or do a google search).
Old 03-28-2006, 01:31 AM   #3
carfanatic21
CF Newbie

In CA to put in a different motor in a car than eas origionally available on the car then it has to be before '85
Old 03-28-2006, 01:38 AM   #4
nighthawk
Part Time Active User

wow, thats worse than ive ever done, old post

"There is a big difference between being fast and powerful and just being loud and annoying."
nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote