Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-25-2004, 08:19 PM   #1
R34RB30DETTV
CF Model & Maniac
 
R34RB30DETTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SE England.. you?
Posts: 604
How to reduce your insurance costs.

Ok, so we "all" pay it, but none of us like it. We can not avoid it but there are ways to reduce it. This can be done in may ways, some are listed below but if you can think of any other ways to reduce it further please do share them, not only would i appreciate it but i'm sure the other members of CF would too.. Thanks in advance..



Your car
Until 1991, insurance companies classed cars in nine groups depending on price, performance and costs of parts. This has now been fine tuned to 20 groups. It's quite simple: Fiat Seicento = Group 1; Ferrari 360 = Group 20. Take a look through the car search and you?ll see everything?s listed?

Where you live
Call it prejudice or statistics - insurance companies use your postcode to decide how much of an accident or theft risk your car is. So, Central London = expensive, Cornwall = cheap.

Your age
If you're young it'll cost more. Simple as that. Especially if you haven't been driving long enough to build up a healthy No Claims Bonus. Many insurance companies don't get generous 'til you're over 35, so, if you can't wait that long to hit the road in an Aston, shop around (see Getting it Cheaper).

Your sex
Not how much you have, we mean the boy or girl bit. Like it or not, many insurance companies have decided that younger women are a safer bet than blokes. So either put up with that or, if you find yourself in the wrong trousers, have a sex change.

Your occupation
This is all to do with how risky the insurers think your job is. If you work long hours and spend most of them in the car you'll get clobbered far harder than if you ink 'Couch Potato' into the occupation box. Moreover, if you're in a profession which sees you regularly laden down with valuable passengers from the world of sport, showbiz, movies or music, this will probably cost you.

Your driving record
Not the fastest you've ever gone or the farthest you've travelled in a day, we're talking convictions and previous claims here. It stands to reason that if your record shows the police have pulled you over for helming your car down the motorway via two long bits of string whilst sitting on the roof, and you've had 12 accidents in the last three months, you might expect things to get a tad costly. Think about doing Pass Plus or taking extra driving tuition ? it could knock a few quid off.

Your mileage
Well, your car's to be exact. The more miles you clock up, the more likely the insurance companies think you are to have a coming together. Now, some insurers offer big discounts for very low mileage drivers (like the Sunday-walk-in-the-car-with-the-windows-wound-tight-shut-brigade). We suspect this is cobblers and that the more you drive the better you're likely to be at it. But what do we know?

Where you park your car at night
All linked to where you live, really. But many insurers give a discount if the car is locked away in a garage at night. Indeed, if you've got a posh car in a well-dodgy area, some companies won't quote you at all unless you promise to lock it up each night and buy a brace of Dobermans.

What anti-theft devices are fitted to your car
Alarms and immobilisers are almost guaranteed to get you some sort of discount on your annual premium. Make sure you fit an approved anti-theft system. Flashing lights and curious noises are all very impressive but, if the insurers don't like it, you've wasted your dosh. And don?t forget all new cars have to come with a factory fitted immobiliser.

Modifications
If you've fitted skirts, spoilers, bulging wheel arches, Tunnel-sized exhausts, flash alloys and furry dice to your innocent little Fiesta, what on earth were you thinking of? No. Sorry... What we mean is, that which makes the end result more attractive to you also turns on the car thief. So be prepared to pay a premium for turning your car into a real 'bird puller'. If that's what you really think you've achieved... An 'M' body-kit on a bog standard Beemer is about the most expensive tomfoolery you can get up to.
__________________

Speed doesn't kill, its the sudden stop that does it...
R34RB30DETTV AKA Sam - Vice-President, Director, Manager and Recruiter of the unofficial vwhobo fan club
Original Members: Snoope, SJ, Cliffy, STiMan, Satty, Integra_LS, Sam. (If you still want to join, send me a PM )
R34RB30DETTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 11:17 AM   #2
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by R34RB30DETTV
Your occupation
This is all to do with how risky the insurers think your job is. If you work long hours and spend most of them in the car you'll get clobbered far harder than if you ink 'Couch Potato' into the occupation box. Moreover, if you're in a profession which sees you regularly laden down with valuable passengers from the world of sport, showbiz, movies or music, this will probably cost you.[

Thanx for all the info...I'd just like to add to the part I quoted you on though, insurance companies also frown upon you if you are in the motor trade, mainly Mechanics suffer far worse than say, a sales person though. Lets face it, insurance companies arn't stupid...as much as we'd like to think they are lol, they know only too well that your average Mechanic is going to be able to 'subtley' mod thier dodgy old Fiesta and know enough about cars to add performance mods and, sometimes (obviously I never did *is an angel*) drive in a boy racer fasion...I guess it's the reputation young Mechanics or Apprentice Mechanics have.

Another point I'd like to add whilst on the subject of the occupation side of things, is that, if you are a Police Officer for example, you are probably in the lowest occupation band, this means that you will probably receive a lower quote because (in most cases) coppers are law abiding citizens and they know how to drive, especially if you're a Traffic Cop, in which case you will have an advanced driving license to boot...So I guess that's both ends of the scale covered there, a bit like the insurance groupings that R34etcetc listed in his post...So, if you're an 18-20yr old male who's a Mechanic, living on a run-down council estate in Peckham and driving a Ferrari, here's some advise, Dye the hair grey, have a sex change, join the Met, move house and trade the car in for a Mondeo

Bear in mind that R34etcetc and I are both talking as if you are in the UK....As I for one dont know how insurance works in other countries, especially the US..Only that in the US you seem to be able to drive extreamly nice cars at a very young age...reminds me of another thread I started when I first joined CF....those were the days
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 10:15 PM   #3
R34RB30DETTV
CF Model & Maniac
 
R34RB30DETTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SE England.. you?
Posts: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Thanx for all the info...I'd just like to add to the part I quoted you on though, insurance companies also frown upon you if you are in the motor trade, mainly Mechanics suffer far worse than say, a sales person though. Lets face it, insurance companies arn't stupid...as much as we'd like to think they are lol, they know only too well that your average Mechanic is going to be able to 'subtley' mod thier dodgy old Fiesta and know enough about cars to add performance mods and, sometimes (obviously I never did *is an angel*) drive in a boy racer fasion...I guess it's the reputation young Mechanics or Apprentice Mechanics have.

Another point I'd like to add whilst on the subject of the occupation side of things, is that, if you are a Police Officer for example, you are probably in the lowest occupation band, this means that you will probably receive a lower quote because (in most cases) coppers are law abiding citizens and they know how to drive, especially if you're a Traffic Cop, in which case you will have an advanced driving license to boot...So I guess that's both ends of the scale covered there, a bit like the insurance groupings that R34etcetc listed in his post...So, if you're an 18-20yr old male who's a Mechanic, living on a run-down council estate in Peckham and driving a Ferrari, here's some advise, Dye the hair grey, have a sex change, join the Met, move house and trade the car in for a Mondeo

Bear in mind that R34etcetc and I are both talking as if you are in the UK....As I for one dont know how insurance works in other countries, especially the US..Only that in the US you seem to be able to drive extreamly nice cars at a very young age...reminds me of another thread I started when I first joined CF....those were the days

Ok, so i'm 18 and am a nearly (2 weeks, 5 days away) qualified Automotive Engineer (Technician)... Wow.. Their gonna screw me propperly..!!
__________________

Speed doesn't kill, its the sudden stop that does it...
R34RB30DETTV AKA Sam - Vice-President, Director, Manager and Recruiter of the unofficial vwhobo fan club
Original Members: Snoope, SJ, Cliffy, STiMan, Satty, Integra_LS, Sam. (If you still want to join, send me a PM )
R34RB30DETTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 07:54 AM   #4
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by R34RB30DETTV
Ok, so i'm 18 and am a nearly (2 weeks, 5 days away) qualified Automotive Engineer (Technician)... Wow.. Their gonna screw me propperly..!!
What have you told insurance companies you do for a living untill now?...a Student?...that's what I used to say lol. So, how come you're nearly qualified at 18yrs old?...I had to do a three year apprenticship and didn't finish it untill I was nearly 20yrs young
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 06:01 PM   #5
cinqyg
CF Freak
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Midlands, England
Posts: 851
In the states suposedly men are safer.

Yeah well i have done about everything i can do to get my insurance premium down, well apart for the sex change.

Ive got down that im an accountant, which is true 2 days a week. I have an advanced driving ticket, ROSPA ticket aswell. I have 1 acident but i guess i cant really do much about being hit when im stationary, and it was my fault suposedly. Yeah i havent worked that out yet .

I could move and live with my grandmother that would axe about 30% of the premium but would also give me a 120 mile comute every day.

Now some insurance companies are just plain anal, they tried to put my premium up because i added fogs and bigger brakes. I always thought that seeing where you were going and being able to brake better were advantages but there we go.

From my experiance with insurance companies the reason that the premiums are so high is becuase they cock lots of stuff up. It took them 18 months to repair my car, in the mean time i had 7 curtosy cars. I looked at the rental agreement and they were paying 24 a day on the car! so multiply that out and see how much it is!
cinqyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 07:46 PM   #6
importluva
Obsessed with imports
 
importluva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 1,060
Nice list. Very informative
__________________
AJ
BB6
FC3S
importluva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 08:31 PM   #7
R34RB30DETTV
CF Model & Maniac
 
R34RB30DETTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SE England.. you?
Posts: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinqyg
I have an advanced driving ticket, ROSPA ticket aswell.

Is that the standard advanced driving license? Where did you do it? And how much did it cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinqyg
I could move and live with my grandmother that would axe about 30% of the premium but would also give me a 120 mile comute every day.

Is that due to her location or otherwise?

LOL.. I've had 2 accidents in 18 weeks and my insurance is yet to go up.. Had the accident last thurs and my car is due back on tuesday.. And that was worked out over a bank-holiday too!! Oh and the blame was 50/50...

Anyway Cliffy, it took me such a little time because i'm doing an NVQ 3 level course and it is only 2 yrs long.. However now i'm having to stay on because the course got fuked up by by one of the teachers and now i have loads of work i wasn't given untill a week ago and i need distinctions in alot (would like all) of my stuff so i can go to Oxford Brooks, Southampton or Swansea Uni and study Mech Eng, Motorsport and some Sciences..
__________________

Speed doesn't kill, its the sudden stop that does it...
R34RB30DETTV AKA Sam - Vice-President, Director, Manager and Recruiter of the unofficial vwhobo fan club
Original Members: Snoope, SJ, Cliffy, STiMan, Satty, Integra_LS, Sam. (If you still want to join, send me a PM )

Last edited by R34RB30DETTV : 06-04-2004 at 08:35 PM.
R34RB30DETTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 09:05 PM   #8
cinqyg
CF Freak
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Midlands, England
Posts: 851
Well the test is ~90, you have to go and drive like a granny, its every other weekend for about a year. Your car will need to be in good nick. there are 2 stages firstly how to drive safe and the second part is how to take avoiding action. The second is more fun but also costs alot in fuel and tyres never mind the strain on your car. mot people hire a car for the practical test in it as you can get through a set of rubber in a day. Doesnt do the car much good doing 30mph and ptutting it in reverse!

Rospa ticket is a weeks course with a test at the end you can get a gold silver or bronze, bronze being enough to past the current driving test, gold being super aware. You can only take the test once and you need to retake it every 2 years to keep your certificate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R34RB30DETTV
Is that the standard advanced driving license? Where did you do it? And how much did it cost?



Is that due to her location or otherwise?

LOL.. I've had 2 accidents in 18 weeks and my insurance is yet to go up.. Had the accident last thurs and my car is due back on tuesday.. And that was worked out over a bank-holiday too!! Oh and the blame was 50/50...

Anyway Cliffy, it took me such a little time because i'm doing an NVQ 3 level course and it is only 2 yrs long.. However now i'm having to stay on because the course got fuked up by by one of the teachers and now i have loads of work i wasn't given untill a week ago and i need distinctions in alot (would like all) of my stuff so i can go to Oxford Brooks, Southampton or Swansea Uni and study Mech Eng, Motorsport and some Sciences..
cinqyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 02:24 PM   #9
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by R34RB30DETTV
Anyway Cliffy, it took me such a little time because i'm doing an NVQ 3 level course and it is only 2 yrs long.. However now i'm having to stay on because the course got fuked up by by one of the teachers and now i have loads of work i wasn't given untill a week ago and i need distinctions in alot (would like all) of my stuff so i can go to Oxford Brooks, Southampton or Swansea Uni and study Mech Eng, Motorsport and some Sciences..
So you're only doing the level three?...I done NVQ levels 2 and three and it took three years, the only reason I (or most others for that matter) didn't do a Level one was because it's for the idiots lol, ie; you pump a tyre up like this...lol, infact I dont even think the Level 1 is around anymore
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 03:24 PM   #10
R34RB30DETTV
CF Model & Maniac
 
R34RB30DETTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SE England.. you?
Posts: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
So you're only doing the level three?...I done NVQ levels 2 and three and it took three years, the only reason I (or most others for that matter) didn't do a Level one was because it's for the idiots lol, ie; you pump a tyre up like this...lol, infact I dont even think the Level 1 is around anymore
YEAH.. JUST LEVEL 3.. But i'm aiming for distinctions coz i want a Phd in engineering...!
__________________

Speed doesn't kill, its the sudden stop that does it...
R34RB30DETTV AKA Sam - Vice-President, Director, Manager and Recruiter of the unofficial vwhobo fan club
Original Members: Snoope, SJ, Cliffy, STiMan, Satty, Integra_LS, Sam. (If you still want to join, send me a PM )
R34RB30DETTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 03:29 PM   #11
Satty101
CF's L body Freak
 
Satty101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Colorado Springs CO
Posts: 2,865
Ok, I really didn't want to read all of that so here's one thing I have to add. Sorry if it was already said.

If you're in school yet (high school), you get a discount for being on the honor role. That's the only way my parents let me drive. This is the first and only year I've been on the honor role all 4 quarters.
__________________
My cars:

1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS (PC'd)
1994 Chevrolet Beretta Z26 Q4 (W41 M90'd)
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 (4WD)

My wife's cars:

1971 Dodge Charger SE (stock and original 383 auto)
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX (kid-hauler)
Satty101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 03:32 PM   #12
R34RB30DETTV
CF Model & Maniac
 
R34RB30DETTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SE England.. you?
Posts: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satty101
Ok, I really didn't want to read all of that so here's one thing I have to add. Sorry if it was already said.

If you're in school yet (high school), you get a discount for being on the honor role. That's the only way my parents let me drive. This is the first and only year I've been on the honor role all 4 quarters.
Lol.. I can't blame you..! Sadly we don't get that discount here!!
__________________

Speed doesn't kill, its the sudden stop that does it...
R34RB30DETTV AKA Sam - Vice-President, Director, Manager and Recruiter of the unofficial vwhobo fan club
Original Members: Snoope, SJ, Cliffy, STiMan, Satty, Integra_LS, Sam. (If you still want to join, send me a PM )
R34RB30DETTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 07:59 PM   #13
cinqyg
CF Freak
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Midlands, England
Posts: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satty101
Ok, I really didn't want to read all of that so here's one thing I have to add. Sorry if it was already said.

If you're in school yet (high school), you get a discount for being on the honor role. That's the only way my parents let me drive. This is the first and only year I've been on the honor role all 4 quarters.

I think you need to brush up on your brit satty, our education system is 2 years ahead of yours! You cant drive until your 17 1/2.
cinqyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 08:29 PM   #14
R34RB30DETTV
CF Model & Maniac
 
R34RB30DETTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SE England.. you?
Posts: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinqyg
I think you need to brush up on your brit satty, our education system is 2 years ahead of yours! You cant drive until your 17 1/2.
Yeah, i left school a year and a half before i actually managed to pass a test.. And our "driving lessons" only teach you to pass a test 90% of the people on our roads are complete muppets and should be shot...
__________________

Speed doesn't kill, its the sudden stop that does it...
R34RB30DETTV AKA Sam - Vice-President, Director, Manager and Recruiter of the unofficial vwhobo fan club
Original Members: Snoope, SJ, Cliffy, STiMan, Satty, Integra_LS, Sam. (If you still want to join, send me a PM )
R34RB30DETTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 08:39 PM   #15
Forum Security
Banned
 
Forum Security's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago Illinois
Posts: 11
Well, it's too late to say this now, but if you excelled in school (say get around a 3.5 GPA) your insurance costs would've been drastically reduced.
Forum Security is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.