Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2004, 08:26 PM   #1
rvl123
CF Newbie

New Scion tC

Ok, while at the Toyota dealership, the dealer said that if you dont find what you want, look at this new Scion.

Originally, I was like "no way, the xA and xB are awful cars (both looks wise and performace wise)"

I have to say though, the tC looks sharp and is backed by a 160HP engine.

So, my question is, how do they keep a car like that under $15,000 new? It has all the standard stuff plus a little more (ABS, CD Player, full glass roof).

I don't get it. Am I missing something? I don't understand how they keep the price so low?

Someone enlighten me!
Old 05-26-2004, 09:18 PM   #2
importluva
Obsessed with imports

my guess is that toyota is first trying to establish the scion name, so they will sell it cheap and grow a loyal following, then intro new models with higher prices.

i doubt toyota is taking any losses, just lesser profit.
importluva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 10:55 PM   #3
mazda6man
im JDM TITE YO!

the big thing i dont get... why do companies start smaller companies under them toyota now has two! lexus and scion... does it really roll in that much money?

oh, and the Xb is the shiznit
My rides = 1992 Cressida aka "the Cressy"
1985 Cressida aka "pain in my asshole"

mazda6man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 11:56 PM   #4
SuperJew
I like pie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvl123
So, my question is, how do they keep a car like that under $15,000 new? It has all the standard stuff plus a little more (ABS, CD Player, full glass roof).

to enlighten you its not under $15K...the base price is $16,500.

CF's Resident Pimp Slapper

Pimp Slap Count (as of 30 May 2004): 34
SuperJew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 04:20 AM   #5
rvl123
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperJew
to enlighten you its not under $15K...the base price is $16,500.

I was almost sure my dealer quoted me $14,9something.

The website says 16,465. You're probably right...
Old 06-02-2004, 05:03 PM   #6
StarAvengerGirl
CF Newbie

All I know is that I want one of these!

Old 06-17-2004, 11:35 PM   #7
Wesley0913
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda6man
the big thing i dont get... why do companies start smaller companies under them toyota now has two! lexus and scion... does it really roll in that much money?

oh, and the Xb is the shiznit

One website I was reading put it really well they basically said Toyota wants to expand to other markets. No teenager wants to own the same brand of car that their parents own. So they made to Scion brand to try to math Honda in the Import scene.

Two most frequent words that come out of my mouth "Sorry Officer"
Wesley0913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 11:50 PM   #8
cinqyg
CF Freak

companies nevr plan to make a loss, some times in the micro climate of a model they may plan to make a loss in order to boost profits in other areas, we did this with the chinese a number of years ago, had a problem with the comunist party stteling all the manuals to the equiptment we moved into shanghi so we ran a price draw and brought these 2 ladies to the uk and showed them the sights and sounds of western living for 2 weeks, cost us a small fortune to do but probibly saved us 100k's in the long term becuase we had no more problems and the ladies went back and told there friends what a greatt time they had had, so may be they will make a loss on this model to bost the brands image and charge a bit more its what vauxhall(GM) did with the VX series, they make a 6k loss on every one they sell.
cinqyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 01:41 PM   #9
RX8factor
CF Newbie

Lightbulb cinqyg is right...

What cinqyg said is true. When Toyota came out with the first-generation Prius, they knew that it would take a while for the idea of owning a hybrid to catch on in the US.

For a long time, Toyota was losing money for every Prius they sold. Same thing with Honda's Insight. However, Toyota has recovered with the second-generation Prius, with which they are now generating some profit. Honda is yet to make profit on the Insight.
RX8factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 02:01 PM   #10
TanyasMkIISupra
CF Newbie

pretty neat looking car, wish it were RWD
Old 06-22-2004, 08:08 PM   #11
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

It is a great car... my friend gets one the day it comes out... he has already ordered it....

StiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 09:57 PM   #12
Inygknok
El del Supra

ahhhhhhhhh the wonderfull world of Toyota...... makes my heart melt when i see its glory.... oh wait, i dont have a heart.... oh well, still, TOYOTA 0WNZ U HAHAHAHAHAH!!!

PS: :P

Supra: To surpass or go beyond.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 08:23 PM   #13
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inygknok
ahhhhhhhhh the wonderfull world of Toyota...... makes my heart melt when i see its glory.... oh wait, i dont have a heart.... oh well, still, TOYOTA 0WNZ U HAHAHAHAHAH!!!

PS: :P
Wha??

StiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 09:54 PM   #14
WeaponR
CF Weapon Type R

Quote:
Originally Posted by StiMan
Wha??

thats wa i was finkin 2
WeaponR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 07:40 PM   #15
BlueBoyJocks
CF Newbie

Thumbs up The Lovely Scion tC

The sales person from a car dealer in my area gave me a call and told me that they have a tC model for me to see, since he already known that I'm on the top list for a test drive. I was so excited to see it in person, since so far I only read its excellent reviews on the websites. So here it is, after along wait, I finally be able to see my dream machine!!! It's bigger than I thought actually and the back is well rounded like accord, with the 17 inch wheels and sleek body style, I have decided that this is the car that I'm gonna get. As soon as the sales person handed me the key, I get in the car and checked the interior, tell me weird but the first thing I checked is the cigarette lighter where is located perfectly on the bottom for my ipod. The interior is roomy and the moonroof is easy and fun to operate, but unfortunately the cover made out of thin fabric that over time probably is easy to be worn out. There is no key or button to open the hood, instead you can just pop it up when the car is unlock. I started the car and took off to the highway..... the engine is amazingly quiet on 80 mph and the sound just like a sport car when you push the gas all the way down... it's very stable and the stereo sound is very clear, I'm not surprise since it is pioneer sound system. When I was at the stop light, I saw some people checked the car out, they looked at the 'bling bling' wheels, the moonroof and the whole car... one passenger open his window and pull his neck out to look the car closer... and I saw he nodded.... smile on my face =). The driving impression is VERY GOOD!!! Two thumbs up, bravo!! I hate to return the key to the sales person but I make a promise to return as soon as I have about half of the car price for the down payment.
BlueBoyJocks is offline   Reply With Quote